Wheel and Tire thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
^ No idear, honestly.

Looks, parts availability, fitment within a body style, performance, not performance. Doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason. Especially pickups. One would think the business end of a pickup truck would be offered with the most stability possible, for carrying loads. But there you have it, many trucks are narrower in back...

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
From what i read, it offers best traction especially while turning because your rear wheel wont follow the exact track, and the greater the front width compared to rear, the sharper turns can be, so it can help manuvering. But it sounds like its not going to.. kill anyone or be objectively more dangerous, just has benefits im guessing the hard-to-notice makes it worth it to designers

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
^Front and rear wheels don’t follow the same track anyways when turning, regardless of a bit of track width difference Or not.

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
@AuroraGirl is on the right track. I've also heard the front is wider than the rear for better turning stability and better turning radius, at least for these types of trucks.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
You guys ever done any scaa, drifting, or autocross? I realized this from experience( in failure after failure)
The Physics of it is as follows:
Wider front track = oversteer
Wider rear track = understeer

Perhaps the rear track is narrower to compensate for this under load. If the rear track were wider it may cause heavy understeer especially when loaded heavily.
I have driven a dually as well and it definitely tracks under in a turn waay more than any two rear wheel setup.

The turning radius would be increased by a wider front stance...not decreased

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
The front wheels dont follow a linear track either. Each front wheel has camber,caster and most importantly here...Toe. The toe changes as the wheels pivot. ideally the outer wheel rides on the outer edge of the tire while the inner rides on the inside during a turn.

Simplified version...Its all about turning
Complicated version.. Handled by GM engineers 60+ years ago

There is a lot more going on than just track width when determining the suspension characteristics. Change one thing here and it changes something there.
You can get under/oversteer by changing front tire diameter and compensate for rear track width that way as well. Many variables.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Might as well pic ***** a little....

My '91 with 7" suspension, 1" body lift, lots of trimming and 43'w on 16.5x12 wheels.

You must be registered for see images attach

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
1978 Cheyenne K10, factory monochrome shortbox 4x4 in black. +2 front, +3 rear Rough Country EZ-Ride springs & shocks. BF Goodrich All-Terrain TAs on Cragar Series 342 D-window steelies.

I went 2" in the front to get out of negative-arch springs, then went 3" in the back to even up the wheel openings over the tires. The front wheel opening is higher on the squarebodies and it always makes them look like they're dragging tail to me.

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
1978 Cheyenne K10, factory monochrome shortbox 4x4 in black. +2 front, +3 rear Rough Country EZ-Ride springs & shocks. BF Goodrich All-Terrain TAs on Cragar Series 342 D-window steelies.

I went 2" in the front to get out of negative-arch springs, then went 3" in the back to even up the wheel openings over the tires. The front wheel opening is higher on the squarebodies and it always makes them look like they're dragging tail to me.

No, it Looks real good ! a level truck always looks better than the “Texas Rake” (higher in the back). although A lifted truck needs a taller sidewall to fill the wheel opening and make the proportions right.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
8 lug 16 x 8 American "Centerline" looking wheels.
We got a smoking deal on them and they look great on the truck.
Now to get some new tires on them.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Might as well pic ***** a little....

My '91 with 7" suspension, 1" body lift, lots of trimming and 43'w on 16.5x12 wheels.

1" body lift.... perfect! Nice fender trim job.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
1" body lift.... perfect! Nice fender trim job.

Thanks! It’s almost time to update this, I sold that tire / wheel combo and I’m going with Boggers and beadlocks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave