What's the tool you have owned the longest?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I would be hard pressed to know which tool I have personally owned the longest because I have always been surrounded by tools. And I've inherited a ton of ancient stuff from everywhere. Including an S-K socket set that has the full name on it.

There's a trivia question for you.
yeah for sure... but all I can think of is Stupid Kunt..

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I have a ShopVac from 1981... still works and works really good, but it's tear your face off loud. Can suck a cat through a keyhole.

My dad had a shop-Vac that was all metal. It seemed loud when I was a kid. Clearly my hearing was a lot better then. Unfortunately it drowned in a flood. So I bought dad a new one, probably similar vintage to what you're describing. Man is that thing loud. Punishingly loud. Here we are, how many years later, just about every piece of it had broken or gotten lost, but it just refuses to die. It's the only thing I own that I want to break, and it's like the fuggin' Energizer Bunny.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
When I lived at home, I always used my dad's tools. My first tool set of my own was given to me by my grandpa. Unfortunately it was stolen and I no longer have it. I'd be hard pressed to figure out which of my tools I had the longest. It might be the Sears timing light that dad gave me.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
same here all my tools were my dad's, he had them along time. He bought me a socket set and screwdriver set when I was in highschool along with a paint gun, DA and air file. I doubt I have the screw drivers maybe 1 or 2 somewhere, the socket set I had somewhere, the air tools I have for sure in the garage. The oldest he has I have no clue on but the oldest I have is around 16 or 17 years old now, as listed above.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Don't really know which is my oldest tool, but it's probably ready for Social Security!

Seriously, these are some of the tools I've had since the late 60s/mid-70s, made long before the Chinese invasion.

Thorsen
Proto
Klein & Sons
Diamalloy
Husky
Wright
Crescent
Snap-on
Craftsman

Even have some USA-made sockets sold by Montgomery Wards. Remember them?
And a couple Japanese adjustable wrenches labelled "Strong Hit". (Not to be confused with HF's "Weak Sister" lineup.
Also have two USA-made Ingersoll-Rand air impact wenches from the 90s.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have my Dad's creeper that he used in the 60's and 70's when he was a Mopar mechanic. Made of wood, still usable!
I bought a Craftsman creeper like that, probably in the 70s. Not sure where it is now. It tended to drag the wheels across the garage floor because they were fairly small and all-metal. I have one now with nice big nylon (plastic?) wheels that rolls nicely, but I still find myself using a padded mat or a big cardboard box more often than a creeper. :rolleyes:

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
Old habits never die.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Oh duh I just figured out this thread...

The oldest tool I have is 58 yrs old, it still works and I never leave home without it. It's always within grasp. It has multi functionality. It extends quite a bit from it's folded up position when not in use.
I even will let the right person play with it from time to time, and that lucky person is not my little boy. I have other tools for him to play with.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
oldest, probably a torque wrench or pressure gauge. Most valuable to me is a decent philips screw driver thats longer than a regular one. One tool from the Air Force was a reed n Prince screw driver that came with a rebuild kit for an Air/Oxygen blender. I liked it so much I engraved my name on it. Do I have it....hell no....some turd borrowed it and kept it.

lol sorry for going off topic. I went to the "favorite" tool ever.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Well @shiftpro took this straight into his perverted Canadian ways. Lol I’m gonna say my oldest and best tool is 46 and grows more every day.

Jerry phillion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Still have my craftsman tool box that came with a 1/4" drive socket set, and a 1/2" drive socket set, that I bought new in 1958. Just got married then and wife said we couldn't
Afford them. But, I needed them. We're still married. Still have orig tool box and both
Sets are still complete.

Last edited:

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
I'd have to say mine is my brain, and still in pristine condition as it is hardly ever used, though it does get the occasional alcohol cleansing to help keep the grime off it.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Beebe 2 ton winch, c. WWII - they used these to lower the ramps on the Higgins boats that landed in Normandy. Why this is here, I don’t know, but I’m sure there’s a good story behind it.
You must be registered for see images attach

Duff-Norton 15 Ton train jack, c. old - There’s a small screw jack that goes with it, too. It’s shaped like a megaphone except smaller and very heavy for its smallness. Again, don’t know why it’s here, but my dad had some train pieces that may have been associated with a part out. He has a horn for sure. That thing is pretty neat.

shanegtr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
My Sidchrome socket set - had that since I was about 14 or 15, so all up around 23-24 years I've owned that set.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL