What's the most dangerous tool in your shop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Derrick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
My 1912 Monarch Model A 14 x 42 Engine lathe would qualify as dangerous. Really Really prior to OSHA
It has a 4 speed Turner Uni-Drive mounted above the spindle cone pulley with a 5" wide leather belt driving the spindle. No guards at all. Only mildly safer than a cone pulley on the ceiling like the arrangement that originally drove the spindle.
You must be registered for see images attach

My Burke #4 Milling Machine has a nice open belt for errant fingers to get caught in too...
yeah i don't want to be anywhere near that when the belt flies off

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I fo
I don't like guards they get in my way more than help then again i like to live on the edge
is this you?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
The Monarch never had belt guards.
At least the cast back gear and change gear covers are intact.
The leather belt exploding is the least of your worries around that machine.
The Quick Change gearbox is bolted back on the front now and it has all kinds of exposed gears near the operator. Not to mention the workpiece and chuck spinning roundy roundy.

Some newer Burke #4 millers had horizontal spindle belt guards but mine didn't ever have em. Too antique. The power table feed is like some kind of terrifying Rube Goldberg contraption. I took it off and put it in a box in the base of the mill. It's worth more if it's there but I don't want it on the machine. Safer electric power X-Axis feeds are available if I wanted it but it's so small I have to ask why??.
The Rusnok Model 70 vertical milling head is at least as safe as any drill press.

Short sleeves and no loose anything and stay aware...

Last edited:

Derrick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I fo

is this you?
o god no it was I joke I hate grinders with no guards it's not even the sparks its when you wear out the wheel and I go flying apart i have seen that multiple times at work and they still refuse to put guards on. i can take pain but having a wheel flying apart at 8k rpm that can kill a man. that's why i am saving money and buying new grinders
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-11-Amp-4-1-2-in-Angle-Grinder-6146-30/202932655
this is the grinder i am looking at plus a few other power tools and a bench grinder for tungsten at home, sick of taking the tungsten 20 at a time to work or school to sharpen them cause only god knows that i am out of practice and can't seem to get back in the grove.
Do i get bonus point for making your 12,000 post about me lol

Last edited:

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
o god no it was I joke I hate grinders with no guards it's not even the sparks its when you wear out the wheel and I go flying apart i have seen that multiple times at work and they still refuse to put guards on. i can take pain but having a wheel flying apart at 8k rpm that can kill a man. that's why i am saving money and buying new grinders
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-11-Amp-4-1-2-in-Angle-Grinder-6146-30/202932655
this is the grinder i am looking at plus a few other power tools and a bench grinder for tungsten at home, sick of taking the tungsten 20 at a time to work or school to sharpen them cause only god knows that i am out of practice and can't seem to get back in the grove.
Do i get bonus point for making your 12,000 post about me lol
I suppose you don't think the safety squint is a legitimate safety measure either?

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
My hands!

cooperhw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
1978, 1981, 1983
Truck Model
C-10, K-20, C-20
Engine Size
5.7L
gotta be the 4 inch dewalt angle grinder spinning at 13,000 rmps. had more than a few wheels explode on me as well as a real nice scar on my belly where it grabbed my t-shirt and cut the crap outta me.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Instant liposuction whether you need it or not!!! LOL

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
yeah i don't want to be anywhere near that when the belt flies off

Short glued leather belts don't disintegrate like vee belts or even serpentine belts. I doubt i's going to fly off. Before I repaired the Turner drive the output pulley was skewed to one side and the belt walked off the end at speed. It just fell down. Luckily it didn't get into the chuck and I didn't have the backgear engaged. More because I don't like gluing new belts up than anything serious.
You don't want to be wearing loose clothes around open belts like that tho.

Here's a really dangerous shop. Cool old tools.
Lathes made by New Haven, Bradford, and a Hendy Braced head. The drillpress is one of the old Turner or Tree or ... antique camelback machines.

Here's one of Keith Ruckers' vidoes of a shop that's more museum quality...

Last edited:

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Double edged exacto knife.... its usually the smallest tool that gives the biggest issues... and when you're not thinking about what your doing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeBeepBeep