What would you do, if you were me?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Wish I could have seen that '70 before it got to be like that. I'll bet there's still a whole mess of good parts in that pile there.
Ha! My first thought was that decklid and quarter panel looked alot like a 69-70 Impala, but hard to tell upside down smashed.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Wish I could have seen that '70 before it got to be like that. I'll bet there's still a whole mess of good parts in that pile there.
is that a 70 model year impala? The one under it is the blue 67 that the powerglide and 283 are from
Oh yeah, i havent been back there for a bit because of nature reasons and time and etc but went backthere with way less things that can murder me and way less growth so I can see. with more learning and undersstanding Ive done I see a lot more parts myself. There are quite a few fender wells for old cars and squares that arent perfect but they do have a value if the mounting spots are fine(for fitment) and only the top or the side toward engine need patching. Some fenders for squares which I alreayd made a nicely stood and breathing under them because of a nearby log are doing ok. my two bedsides In great shape are okay still with way less daubers on them than last year since i flipped them and then O **** and left.

The cabs are sad but without a lot of work to the blue one to weld in the mounting locations properly and perfectly measurement wise, there is no sesne in saving the thing which otherwise just needs floor patches and rear window frame worked out from a dent and re-fixed. the paint is still in good shape is the saddest. Brown one is just musty old sheet metal source for someone looking to repair theirs. im glad i flipped it tho because the floor is bad and it can set on there instead of the roof lol.
Then there is literally an unknown size grave under everything that If dirt and body parts settled decently htere is a lot of weight in scrap but may be untold treasures that either couldnt be ruined with time and damp or suffer little damage but thats a ways down the road when its present duty and i invest in something like a backhoe and a lot of time. I have a few LARGE trees near that can anchor something and if that something can use other large tree and a lot of math and YOLO and careful work a long winch using a alternate path could probably peel up the topshit since it is the cliff and that would reveal the extent. i would say just push it out of being the cliff but then it rolls downhill steeply toward the neighbors property line LOL

want to avoid the dnr as much as he does and hes 0 to 100 guy at the bar overhearing something and assuming it was a personal attack. but then back to 0 when he is told hes mistaken and its fine.

I know the impala on the top is impala because I do believe there is a badge that I either saw on the side and it was broke but it was impala or it was on the lid as well and the thing snapped the moment i touched it

I want to get that chevrolet one since it looks like its not as brittle but I want to be careful and will use.. dental floss? Something maybe fishing line. or is it mounted in the lid... hmm..

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
is that a 70 model year impala? The one under it is the blue 67 that the powerglide and 283 are from
Oh yeah, i havent been back there for a bit because of nature reasons and time and etc but went backthere with way less things that can murder me and way less growth so I can see. with more learning and undersstanding Ive done I see a lot more parts myself. There are quite a few fender wells for old cars and squares that arent perfect but they do have a value if the mounting spots are fine(for fitment) and only the top or the side toward engine need patching. Some fenders for squares which I alreayd made a nicely stood and breathing under them because of a nearby log are doing ok. my two bedsides In great shape are okay still with way less daubers on them than last year since i flipped them and then O **** and left.

The cabs are sad but without a lot of work to the blue one to weld in the mounting locations properly and perfectly measurement wise, there is no sesne in saving the thing which otherwise just needs floor patches and rear window frame worked out from a dent and re-fixed. the paint is still in good shape is the saddest. Brown one is just musty old sheet metal source for someone looking to repair theirs. im glad i flipped it tho because the floor is bad and it can set on there instead of the roof lol.
Then there is literally an unknown size grave under everything that If dirt and body parts settled decently htere is a lot of weight in scrap but may be untold treasures that either couldnt be ruined with time and damp or suffer little damage but thats a ways down the road when its present duty and i invest in something like a backhoe and a lot of time. I have a few LARGE trees near that can anchor something and if that something can use other large tree and a lot of math and YOLO and careful work a long winch using a alternate path could probably peel up the topshit since it is the cliff and that would reveal the extent. i would say just push it out of being the cliff but then it rolls downhill steeply toward the neighbors property line LOL

want to avoid the dnr as much as he does and hes 0 to 100 guy at the bar overhearing something and assuming it was a personal attack. but then back to 0 when he is told hes mistaken and its fine.

I know the impala on the top is impala because I do believe there is a badge that I either saw on the side and it was broke but it was impala or it was on the lid as well and the thing snapped the moment i touched it

I want to get that chevrolet one since it looks like its not as brittle but I want to be careful and will use.. dental floss? Something maybe fishing line. or is it mounted in the lid... hmm..

Yep, it's a '70. I don't remember if the emblem is held on with simple barrel clips or if there's speed nuts on the backside. I'm wanting to say speed nuts.

You must be registered for see images attach

Notice my busted R taillight. The car took a good impact there before my ownership and the R quarter has one heck of a pressure buckle in it. Your quarter panel could actually be in better shape than mine, lol.

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350
thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. I see that this forum is full of hoarding enablers. :)

I've got to price out the cost of the steel for building the flatbed myself, and then compare that to the time to cut the existing one down.

I should have mentioned, too, that part of my reason for wanting to replace the doors is to covert over to manual crank windows. My front window motors are pretty shot, especially when it's like 20 below zero around here.

I've got a couple other parts possibilities to check out in the next few days, so I should be more or less making a decision on this by the end of the week. I've got 15 acres, so I've also been mulling over some wild ideas about what I could do with the 350 and man trans and chassis on the dually, if I end up buying it.
dmanual crank window, anf

thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. I see that this forum is full of hoarding enablers. :)

I've got to price out the cost of the steel for building the flatbed myself, and then compare that to the time to cut the existing one down.

I should have mentioned, too, that part of my reason for wanting to replace the doors is to covert over to manual crank windows. My front window motors are pretty shot, especially when it's like 20 below zero around here.

I've got a couple other parts possibilities to check out in the next few days, so I should be more or less making a decision on this by the end of the week. I've got 15 acres, so I've also been mulling over some wild ideas about what I could do with the 350 and man trans and chassis on the dually, if I end up buying it.

Aaron

Some may call this theory crazy, but my ideal truck would have the driver door equipped with a manual crank window, and the passenger side (two door) electric, or crewcab/Suburban electric on the other three doors.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Some may call this theory crazy, but my ideal truck would have the driver door equipped with a manual crank window, and the passenger side (two door) electric, or crewcab/Suburban electric on the other three doors.
ive seen that. genius to me. Especially in park avenue where the large curved glass is held with two isolator rubber things that just dont hold up more than 5-10 years and then the window jack knifes randomly ,its loose ,and it makes a mess of the belt line and window perimeter slip seals etc. Crank would be nice but they dont makethat lol

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I've seen that. genius to me.
I cannot say I've ever seen a vehicle made with a manual drivers window and power windows elsewhere.

I'm not anti manual windows by any means and there's plenty of "technology" that I think is frivolous or unnecessary in new or newer vehicles, but at the same time, this new technology of power windows that actually got it's start around WWII timeframe, seems to be pretty well ironed out. In 30 years and any vehicle newer than about 1990, I've replaced exactly 1 window regulator (2002 Chevy truck). None of my vehicles have seen more than about 200k miles under my purview and many had well under that when sold, but, I'll keep my power windows in anything that's even remotely a daily driver...

I do realize this forum is about GM squarebodys and as such, the subject matter is predominately vehicles in the >30 years old category, but if one is struggling with keeping the technological masterpieces that power windows are, in working order, and your struggles relate to anything you're driving frequently that is considered a squarebody or any other vehicle that is considered middle aged or older in human years, then your frustration is not that of the general public and largely un-founded, as the expectation that accessories on an antique vehicle may require repair or replacement is a fair one and to be expected.

Last edited:

smullen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I6
OP, you situation sounds somewhat similar to mine.
I want to or need to replace every panel, rockers, inner and outer, floor boards, cab corners, doors, etc...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey