What the Heck??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaliDude76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Truck Year
Nineteen Eighty Four
Truck Model
C-Ten (Custom Deluxe)
Engine Size
Three Fifty
So today, I go junkyarding to find a few odds and ends for my square... (it's good therapy for me)

Looking for 85 grille.. wanna change out my cracked 84 (the red 4x4 on the top right hand corner of this site has the type I'm looking for)

Also was wanting a flex-plate cover, front air dam, and wheel arch moldings,

two junkyards.. no go, very few squares.. traveled a bit to the next town to the third junkyard, and this is where the fun begins...

Guy tells me to go take a look, and come back and get him if I find what I'm looking for, and talk price

Find all that I needed.. grill is ok.. missing the center bowtie, but not broken.
Found the air dam off of the the same truck
Found the wheel molding... best 4 from three different trucks
Flex plate cover, they weren't marked, so I don't know which one was the right one.

Dude says: 45 bucks for the grille
40 for the molding
+ 25 for the air dam

no negotiations either... what a *****!!! the parts were in fair, but not great condition, so I came home bummed today

Please somebody tell me, that I could do much better on price... I'm not good on used truck parts like this.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
You could have got a new grille like Imann did for $20.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
You definitely did right by walkin away!! Those were terrible prices and coulda gotten nice new ones for those prices. What an idiot that guy was....

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
20 bucks at rockauto.com!

You must be registered for see images attach

The rest of that stuff I would look around online for new stuff, you dont want a crummy old scraped up air dam on that pretty truck. Same with the flexplate cover, you have a shiny new transmission so I would top it off with a chrome unit from summit racing.

CaliDude76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Truck Year
Nineteen Eighty Four
Truck Model
C-Ten (Custom Deluxe)
Engine Size
Three Fifty
20 bucks at rockauto.com!

You must be registered for see images attach

The rest of that stuff I would look around online for new stuff, you dont want a crummy old scraped up air dam on that pretty truck. Same with the flexplate cover, you have a shiny new transmission so I would top it off with a chrome unit from summit racing.

I found it for like 27 bucks... woah! but 22 bucks for shipping.... what did you pay for shipping?

Last edited:

CaliDude76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Truck Year
Nineteen Eighty Four
Truck Model
C-Ten (Custom Deluxe)
Engine Size
Three Fifty
question though.. would this grille from an 85 bolt right up to my 84?

attachment.php

Attachments

• getimage.jpg
    getimage.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 179

CaliDude76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Truck Year
Nineteen Eighty Four
Truck Model
C-Ten (Custom Deluxe)
Engine Size
Three Fifty
You definitely did right by walkin away!! Those were terrible prices and coulda gotten nice new ones for those prices. What an idiot that guy was....

I know..right? I couldn't believe it...I was considering offering him 50 for the trim and air dam, and scrap the grille... but forget it the guy wouldn't even budge, no sense in haggling. What happened to good business?

I was contemplating standing there and getting in a huge debate with him and was gonna say something like.. "you'd rather not make any money off me than take 50 bucks"... I ended up just looking at him.. and said.."catch you later....... Deuces!!"

Oh well... there's prolly something better for cheaper around the corner for me anyway... that's the way I look at it.

it eats me up though, how some people would rather sit on something and let it practically rot before they get what they think is a right price... it's terrible over here in my area about that. Anyone else get this?

Last edited:

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
question though.. would this grille from an 85 bolt right up to my 84?

attachment.php

I think it is a simple R&R between the 2 years on the grill.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Those prices aren't that high, they certainly could be lower, but they aren't too bad. And as for haggling, I don't blame the guy. After spending a fair amount of time in and around the used parts business, you wouldn't believe the amount of silly low-ball offers that people want to pay. It gets very tiring and makes some yards have a no-haggle type attitude.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Oh, and the grill you're looking for can be found in the Chevy vans too. They are identical except for the screw holes are in different areas on the tabs that hold it to the upper core support. All you need to do is hold the grill in place, mark where the screw holes need to be, then drill them with an 1/8 inch bit. Very simple.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
And the fender trim is CHEAP new too! From what I remember, I think it's like $9-$10 or so each + shipping. That old stuff won't have the shine.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
And the fender trim is CHEAP new too! From what I remember, I think it's like $9-$10 or so each + shipping. That old stuff won't have the shine.

x2.....

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Good Job, Walkin away on that deal. :waytogo: I'd have had to say, No wonder you the only one for miles that has these parts, and I'd imagine you'll still have these next year and the year after too buddy. :flipthebird:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Since the parts were already pulled he probably just threw them on CL and Sal did all the hard work for his lazy rear end! :whymewhyme:

CaliDude76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Truck Year
Nineteen Eighty Four
Truck Model
C-Ten (Custom Deluxe)
Engine Size
Three Fifty
Since the parts were already pulled he probably just threw them on CL and Sal did all the hard work for his lazy rear end! :whymewhyme:

We never even got that far to pull anything off the trucks... it was a real quick no sale that day..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikejeden