What problems will I have when installing a 6 inch lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pmehringer001

Reaction score
First Name
Paxton
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I have a 1987 V20 long bed and considering 4 or 6 inch lift. I know for a 6 I will for sure need longer brake lines and raised steering arm, but will I also have driveshaft problems? Being too short or too much angle? I won’t be doing much off-roading and such but I will still be using 4x4 regularly. I found a transfer case drop kit on rough country, not sure exactly how it works yet or if it throws off other things.

MarineOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Driveshafts should fit still and t case spacer just tips it down to remove some angle

pmehringer001

Reaction score
First Name
Paxton
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Thanks! Would it have any problem with the front driveshaft where it mounts to the t-case? Since it’s tipped back further would it make that angle any worse?

MrHorsepowerLSx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K35
Engine Size
I’m a fan of rear shackle flips for they serve 2 purposes

1st they lift about 4” from the start
2nd they help correct pinion angle without having to drop the t-case.

My build has a 6” kit consisting of new 6” front springs with degree shims and a 4” shackle flip with 2” add a leaf in the rear and my pinion angles are in spec.

The drive shaft could probably benefit from be extended 1-1.5” inches and the front is “OK” but could use an extra inch. But it will be fine for road use and some mild off roading, but I wouldn’t be taking it to Moab and flexing it out with those shafts. Hope this helps

You can see the build in under construction page under 86 K10
Rustoration

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Thanks! Would it have any problem with the front driveshaft where it mounts to the t-case? Since it’s tipped back further would it make that angle any worse?

It's possible it could make it worse, yes. The shaft length makes a difference and the 80's shafts are some of the longest, so it shouldn't hurt the angle. It probably won't help it though either. On a shortbed truck or K5, the trade-off could be worth it for the rear shaft angles. On a longbed or a Suburban... eh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod