What is your daily if not square body?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I had an 08 Corolla 5 speed shifter car for a couple years. Loved the mpg. 34mpg hwy driving the way I drive and running AC, I was fine with. If I set the cruise and did the speed limit without AC and no wind or the wind behind me it got 42.5mpg. 30 was pretty much avg for around town.

Now I did this Kia ricer that I semi sorta inherited from my 2nd cousin who let it sit for about 7 years and the family was going to call Charlie the junkman to haul it off, so when I went to see my Aunt in Cali for the last time since her cancer progressed, I got it running and drove it back to OKC and been driving it ever since getting about 28mpg avg city/hwy. Everything works including the AC I just wished it was a shifter car but it runs great and saves me a **** ton on gas and I get to go places I'd normally not go if I had to drive my squares. Bad part is though, since I don't drive the squares much, that means outta sight, outta mind and they get neglected and don't get worked on. Hoping that changes this Spring/Summer though.
Not here
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
You guys are fancier than me lol, I usually drive my 03 2500HD, or my wife's FJ Cruiser.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I got it running and drove it back to OKC and been driving it ever since getting about 28mpg avg city/hwy. Everything works including the AC I just wished it was a shifter car but it runs great and saves me a **** ton on gas and I get to go places I'd normally not go if I had to drive my squares. Bad part is though, since I don't drive the squares much, that means outta sight, outta mind and they get neglected and don't get worked on. Hoping that changes this Spring/Summer though.

Same problem here. Because of NY's idiotic laws I can't drive the truck on parkways so it's condemned to the stop and go of local streets.

So enter the mighty TDI:

Reasonably fun to drive because I can grind my own gears and it gets,... ready?,.. 53 MPG on the highway. A mere 40 around town. I will drive this car until the wheels fall off.

Got it cheap too. Here's why:

But yeah, the poor truck is suffering badly because of it. I may have to sell it to myself so I can change the registration and drive like a normal person.

climb-101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
seth
Truck Year
Truck Model
c2 crew cab
Engine Size
6.0 LS
2010 chevy LTZ with the 6.2/6L80

it’s a little dirty since it snowed a few inches this last weekend

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very cool. I used to have a frc (so to speak too). Love the design, hated the leaking around the a pillars

Must be hit or miss on the leaks, “Monday morning cars?” Or something. Mine stays dry as a bone even when not in the garage.

WTF is that?

Starting in 1999 there were 3 different body options, convertibles, coupes which all had targa tops and the FRC which was a “fixed roof coupe” , a hardtop that followed the convertible roof line and 2 years later became the exclusive body style of the Z06.

morgy83

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Those z06 were pretty awesome cars. I moved the convertible like look. I like having a vert more though I have to say

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I have a rusty '92 Camaro that WAS my daily driver including the winter. But my wife won't let me drive it anymore because it's "unsafe".

So now I'm back to driving my Celebrity in the warmer months (and a square in the winter).

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Same problem here. Because of NY's idiotic laws I can't drive the truck on parkways so it's condemned to the stop and go of local streets.

So enter the mighty TDI:

Reasonably fun to drive because I can grind my own gears and it gets,... ready?,.. 53 MPG on the highway. A mere 40 around town. I will drive this car until the wheels fall off.

But yeah, the poor truck is suffering badly because of it. I may have to sell it to myself so I can change the registration and drive like a normal person.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

So enter the mighty TDI:

Ohhh I got way to much to respond to this post. Like WTF is this you can't drive the square on the freeway??? HUH?!?!? :shrug:

I've wanted one of the VW TDI's, the older ones, not the newer ones that don't get near that MPG, but yep, I'm aware of the 52-53mpg highway in the, what years is it again? Like 98-2002 or 3? Something like that? Maintain them, they're easily 500,000 mile motors too. They're a true diesel engine not a reengineered headed engine with injectors in the spark plug holes. They're a ground up purpose built diesel and are good engines with PROPER MAINTENANCE and the maintenance isn't all that expensive unlike the full size USA made diesel trucks. NO DEF or DPF either in those older ones. I don't blame you a bit for being all over that one. I too would drive the wheels all the way off that bitch. So long as the front ones stayed on, I'd probably just strap the rear hubs to a skatebaord and still drive the bitch. It's true, the chassis can fall apart around the engine on those good older TDI's.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I have a rusty '92 Camaro that WAS my daily driver including the winter. But my wife won't let me drive it anymore because it's "unsafe".

So now I'm back to driving my Celebrity in the warmer months (and a square in the winter).

That Celebrity is badass. Is that a repaint or Eurosport edition? I always did the like Eurosport Celebs.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My daily is a 2000 TDI Beetle that we bought new. When the wife got her Prius, I quit driving my Powerstroke as a daily and started driving the VW. I drive 30 miles a day round trip to work, so the 40+ mpg saves me more than I could have got on a trade in. I plan to run it until it dies (200,000+ miles on it so far), it's a fun car to drive and I have had very few problems with it.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Ohhh I got way to much to respond to this post. Like WTF is this you can't drive the square on the freeway??? HUH?!?!? :shrug:

I've wanted one of the VW TDI's, the older ones, not the newer ones that don't get near that MPG, but yep, I'm aware of the 52-53mpg highway in the, what years is it again? Like 98-2002 or 3? Something like that? Maintain them, they're easily 500,000 mile motors too. They're a true diesel engine not a reengineered headed engine with injectors in the spark plug holes. They're a ground up purpose built diesel and are good engines with PROPER MAINTENANCE and the maintenance isn't all that expensive unlike the full size USA made diesel trucks. NO DEF or DPF either in those older ones. I don't blame you a bit for being all over that one. I too would drive the wheels all the way off that bitch. So long as the front ones stayed on, I'd probably just strap the rear hubs to a skatebaord and still drive the bitch. It's true, the chassis can fall apart around the engine on those good older TDI's.

Yes, our rules are asinine. It's all a typical NY money grab. If you really want to know, here's the logic (not):

Commercial vehicles are not allowed on Parkways. Parkways are mostly a Long Island thing (Long interesting story how that is. But too long for here) but unfortunately they are most of our major freeways. Recently, they changed the law to allow pickup trucks under 6,000 net to use passenger plates, so they could go on parkways. Prior to that a pickup needed a cap and rear seats to be considered a passenger vehicle otherwise it carried commercial plates. (And I HATE caps.)

So far so good, the square is just under 6000 lbs net. BUT! It's owned by a corporation, so by law MUST be registered commercial regardless of curb weight, cap or seats. It also gets whacked double for tolls because being "commercial" it's registered weight is now GVW instead of net which exceeds the 7000 lb maximum on bridges and tunnels so they charge per axle.

Makes perfect sense, right?

The TDI is a '98. Not one of the cheaters. Frankly I'd love to have one of the cheaters, they had 50% more HP and still got great mileage. A friend in Maine told me the dealers were fixing the bought-back ones and putting them on the lot. Seems the mileage doesn't suffer that much so they're still desirable. I'm tempted to get one and keep it on ice in case of emergency.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That Celebrity is badass. Is that a repaint or Eurosport edition? I always did the like Eurosport Celebs.

The car was a basic white Eurosport coupe when I got it. I did the color change and added the rare gfx.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size

I LOVE em BOTH!!! i had an 87 celebrity wagon as my first car... GREAT cars! Always liked that gen camaro too, your celeb is sexy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus