What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Had to omit the bottom foot bolt on the new install. The old bolt was so rusted and would not come out with PB Blaster and vice grip combo. It had the wierd square washer that just froze with rust. Eventually I accidentally ended up pulling it through the wheel well, oops. New tray in. I had fun letting it idle in the driveway while I cleaned up and reset the radio stations.
You must be registered for see images attach
Use a fender washer. Or use 2 like a sandwich. You can get that bolt in.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Use a fender washer. Or use 2 like a sandwich. You can get that bolt in.
^^^THIS^^^

You want that battery tray to be secure so the battery can't come loose.

oplinger

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
So, what I have done…
As of this month/year:
* I replaced the tires, went from:
Front: P235 / 60R15
Rear: P295 / 50R15
To:
P235 / 75R15 front and rear, it fixed the terrible wobble, that kept me from getting the truck on the road.

* Replaced the door strikers, (this was annoying me a lot) now no need to shut the doors so hard

*Replaced the door light switches, I picked up some OEM replacements from eBay, and now cabin dome and floor lights work as they should.
How was it replacing the door light switches?!! I need to do this on my truck, but have not looked into the process at all.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
^^^THIS^^^

You want that battery tray to be secure so the battery can't come loose.
I plan on getting a supplemental bolt with washers and will use the sandwich method so it stays put. LOL! The bolt frozen to the washer came through the well in one rusted piece.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
How was it replacing the door light switches?!! I need to do this on my truck, but have not looked into the process at all.
Stupid easy. I just unscrewed mine, unplugged it without letting the wire unroll, plugged it into the new sensor, then screwed the new sensor in. Done.

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
So I dug my dash out of the barn to clean it up. Haven't decided what to do with it yet! But I removed the dash molding needs help.

I can't restore the upholstery to discolored. Thinking about getting it recovered. Has anyone purchased new dash molding? Mine is aluminum and I think the new ones are plastic?

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
So I dug my dash out of the barn to clean it up. Haven't decided what to do with it yet! But I removed the dash molding needs help.

I can't restore the upholstery to discolored. Thinking about getting it recovered. Has anyone purchased new dash molding? Mine is aluminum and I think the new ones are plastic?
You might be able to repaint that semi gloss black, and touch up the woodgrain, with model car enamel paint and small paint brushes. If you have a good hobby shop or model train shop in your area, see what they have available for paint. I think model RR stuff should have a yellow close to that mustard ish color that GM used on the trim.
Whoever stitched up that dash cover, did a nice job. Maybe that could be used as a pattern/reference for another one?
IIRC the 73-80 dash trim is that painted/anodized aluminum, and in '81 when the dashpad shape changed, that's when the trim strip is made of painted plastic. Saving weight anywhere they can....I remember seeing the swiss cheese cross members in the frame of our '81 Sierra, and wondering how well that would hold up in a wreck. Fortunately we never had to find out! Only wrecks that truck was in, were low speed corner hits.

1980_C10_STEPSIDE

Reaction score
First Name
Salvador
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Upholstery guy got my seat done early, so I had to rush today. Thankfully the rain held off. Lots of cleaning, threw down some Kilmat sound deadening on the floor and rear cab wall, new AAC carpet kit, and then I could finally put the seat back in. Need to trim the carpet behind the seat still, but good enough for now. Looks and smells a LOT cleaner!

If the weather holds out tomorrow, maybe I'll get the glow plugs swapped, and change the oil. Then I can finally go back to enjoying my new Daily Driver. :)
That seat looks great.
@Girth , mind if I ask how much was to get the seat reupholstered?

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Stupid easy. I just unscrewed mine, unplugged it without letting the wire unroll, plugged it into the new sensor, then screwed the new sensor in. Done.
@Bextreme04 A few questions: What year is your truck? Mine is an 87 V10. I want to replace my door light switches and I see different versions in different catalogues for 81-87 and not sure which to buy. The drivers side will only stay on if I mess with it for several minutes and get it to a particular spot other wise it stays off unless, well, you mess with the button. I will eventually be looking at what I have in my door and see if it is obvious which one I should buy. Is the switch easy to unscrew or are there several steps to getting them out? Also I read that you didn't let the wire unroll. How bad would it be if the wire did unroll? Any info would help. I'm in for the night, otherwise I would be looking at my door. You can DM if you would rather but I don't mind it being in the thread.

Girth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Garth
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Suburban
Engine Size
That seat looks great.
@Girth , mind if I ask how much was to get the seat reupholstered?

It was $600. Fair price I thought, and he got it done faster than he said he would. Said it would have cost a little more if I had him order different fabric, but what he had on hand worked for me..... so done deal. JMD Upholstery in Centralia.

I DID get the glow plugs swapped, although the rain fought me, and having to get under the truck to get that #8 cylinder was not super fun in pouring rain. lol She's back on the road though, getting me back and forth to work. :)

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
@Bextreme04 A few questions: What year is your truck? Mine is an 87 V10. I want to replace my door light switches and I see different versions in different catalogues for 81-87 and not sure which to buy. The drivers side will only stay on if I mess with it for several minutes and get it to a particular spot other wise it stays off unless, well, you mess with the button. I will eventually be looking at what I have in my door and see if it is obvious which one I should buy. Is the switch easy to unscrew or are there several steps to getting them out? Also I read that you didn't let the wire unroll. How bad would it be if the wire did unroll? Any info would help. I'm in for the night, otherwise I would be looking at my door. You can DM if you would rather but I don't mind it being in the thread.
Mines an 80. I think it was just a 5/8" socket and unscrewed... but it's been a few years now. The wire attaches to a blade on the back of the switch, so it will twist up as you unscrew it. Once you have it out and unhook the wire, it will then try to unwind itself. If you let it unwind and then hook it to the new switch, it will then wind up when you screw it in and then you will have a wire under tension when installed. If you just unhook it from the old one and don't let it unwind before connecting to the new one, it should be under no tension once you screw the switch back in.

Magna86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Magna86
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Chevy 350
I finally found a decent deal on the 56" 1825lb rear leaf springs for my suspension rebuild! They were cheaper than Rock Auto too. I have all the pieces for the rebuild. I'll be sending my gearbox out to be rebuilt to a quick ratio.

Last edited:

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Nothing it's cool and rainy season here. 50 and rain all day this week. Maybe I can patch the leak in the radiator this weekend if it don't rain. But, I ain't holding my breath. This is the time I hate not having a garage or carport to work under.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350

1980_C10_STEPSIDE

Reaction score
First Name
Salvador
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
It was $600. Fair price I thought, and he got it done faster than he said he would. Said it would have cost a little more if I had him order different fabric, but what he had on hand worked for me..... so done deal. JMD Upholstery in Centralia.

I DID get the glow plugs swapped, although the rain fought me, and having to get under the truck to get that #8 cylinder was not super fun in pouring rain. lol She's back on the road though, getting me back and forth to work. :)
Oh thanks for sharing. That gives me a good idea when I go get an estimate for mine.

It looks great. I assume you didn’t have to replace the foam. Or did you?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bowers31