What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Put the repaired radiator in and drove it around the block and it is leaking again! I didn't even look much at it and shut it off and came in as it's started raining. Fck me! I'm probably gonna send it to my mechanic and tell him to put in a new aluminum one with electric fans. I'm done trying to fix this problem. Biggest leak it's had. Bs I'm not gonna keep pulling it and having leaks fixed. Grrr...

You must be registered for see images attach

JeffK10America

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Put my bed on finally .re did the fuel filler pipes on both sides , Pre prepped my cab and bed with paint . Now move forward with bed sanding and sealer . Wow what are Christmas vacations for anyways ..

Attachments

• IMG_4354.jpeg
    IMG_4354.jpeg
    358.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4353.jpeg
    IMG_4353.jpeg
    298.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4339.jpeg
    IMG_4339.jpeg
    254.6 KB · Views: 24

PeteJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
Added some fog lights I've had in the garage for years. My late father in law gave them to me. He was a die hard Chevy man. Only fitting they go in this truck. I don't think they will help all that much but they are there.
Actually.......... When I looked outside about dark it was getting pretty foggy here in OB !! They will come in handy tonight.

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Put the repaired radiator in and drove it around the block and it is leaking again! I didn't even look much at it and shut it off and came in as it's started raining. Fck me! I'm probably gonna send it to my mechanic and tell him to put in a new aluminum one with electric fans. I'm done trying to fix this problem. Biggest leak it's had. Bs I'm not gonna keep pulling it and having leaks fixed. Grrr...

Yup, a few years ago I had to replace the radiator in my Burb. One tank was leaking, and for $100 more than fixing that, I could get a whole new radiator. So that's what I did....

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
Engine Size
454, 305
Yeah I think the fan shroud is the culprit because it was the closest thing I could find to fit. Still had to cut it to git and it don't fit well. Think I'll just go with no shroud or electric fans. Fans would be better when sitting in traffic in Texas heat. I'm just mad because I thought I'd fixed it. But when it goes down the road and hits bumps I think it just twisted and cracked the old radiator again. It's raining so I haven't looked into it yet.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
Another thing Doug that occurred to me after reading this is that it's practically impossible to determine the thickness remaining in the material used to make the cooling passages/fins and tanks. Meaning, it's not unheard of to solder one leaky area to only have another paper thin spot decide to check out of the chat. Which is a chance we take trying to refurb the old stuff. Which is the route I'm going with the brass up front in mine, even if it ends up being exactly what happened to you.

I suppose the upside is that the recycling value of an old brass radiator should cover the cost of an aluminum replacement. Which bites balls, but it is what it is.

WFarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
350 tbi
Do radiator repair shops pressure test radiators after a repair? I would think a pressure test for 10 minutes or so at maybe 125% of design pressure would reveal bad spots and help with the “Fix or Scrap” decision.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
Engine Size
454, 305
Do radiator repair shops pressure test radiators after a repair? I would think a pressure test for 10 minutes or so at maybe 125% of design pressure would reveal bad spots and help with the “Fix or Scrap” decision.
Yes he pressure testedit 3 tines. It wasn't leaking until I took it for a spin. I think the vibration opened another leak. I let it get to temperature in the driveway and then took it for a short drive and got back to a leak. Idk

Travlr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
C
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Camper Special
Engine Size
Yes he pressure testedit 3 tines. It wasn't leaking until I took it for a spin. I think the vibration opened another leak. I let it get to temperature in the driveway and then took it for a short drive and got back to a leak. Idk
It happens... Did you use the old rubber insulators to reinstall it? I'd use new ones.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Got the radiator underway. I ordered a radiator with a 1.75” outlet on the bottom, figuring that I was replacing the old one anyway. Big mistake! The stock molded hose doesn’t appear to be made in any other than a 1.5” outlet. So I’m stuck with a generic flex hose or have to cobble something together.

I had the same issue when i replaced my rad with that same cold case. I ended up shaping the hose over a bottle for like a week to shape it a little wider. Applied alot of lube, jammed her on and tightened her up. Haven't had an issue yet. Been about a year and a half.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I had the same issue when i replaced my rad with that same cold case. I ended up shaping the hose over a bottle for like a week to shape it a little wider. Applied alot of lube, jammed her on and tightened her up. Haven't had an issue yet. Been about a year and a half.
Yeah, that’s basically what I just did- was just waiting to post until I had everything back together in one piece.

Basically, when I got Cold Case on the phone, they insisted that if I found just the right year, with a big block and a HD radiator, that it would have a 1.75 both ends. Yeah, I think that’s just patently false. It’s my suspicion that they are thinking of 70-72 when the 402 had 1 3/4 on one end and 1 7/8 on the other.

I took a generic hose home from O’Reillys and boiled a small pot of water, and warmed the end for about four minutes. Then, I walked directly out to the garage and worked it onto the old water pump I had on the work bench, and let it cool for an hour. Pulled it back off, reversed it back to normal and it slid on without too much of a fight.

I did order a 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 adapter off the jungle website, but I’ve abandoned that idea since the real estate at the bottom radiator outlet near the frame is problematic.

I do have a small narrowing on one of the bends where it twists down, so the fit isn’t perfect how it’s molded. I’m just going to watch it when I get it started and rev it to make sure it doesn’t collapse.

It’s always fun trying to figure out something that a manufacturer got a little wrong.

Ok, back to the coffee- just waiting for the wife to wake up so we can open presents.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Yeah, that’s basically what I just did- was just waiting to post until I had everything back together in one piece.

Basically, when I got Cold Case on the phone, they insisted that if I found just the right year, with a big block and a HD radiator, that it would have a 1.75 both ends. Yeah, I think that’s just patently false. It’s my suspicion that they are thinking of 70-72 when the 402 had 1 3/4 on one end and 1 7/8 on the other.

I took a generic hose home from O’Reillys and boiled a small pot of water, and warmed the end for about four minutes. Then, I walked directly out to the garage and worked it onto the old water pump I had on the work bench, and let it cool for an hour. Pulled it back off, reversed it back to normal and it slid on without too much of a fight.

I did order a 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 adapter off the jungle website, but I’ve abandoned that idea since the real estate at the bottom radiator outlet near the frame is problematic.

I do have a small narrowing on one of the bends where it twists down, so the fit isn’t perfect how it’s molded. I’m just going to watch it when I get it started and rev it to make sure it doesn’t collapse.

It’s always fun trying to figure out something that a manufacturer got a little wrong.

Ok, back to the coffee- just waiting for the wife to wake up so we can open presents.

Yeah, not to mention it's hard to trust anyone like that. You'd think they SHOULD be able to tell you what you need, but are probably peddling you crap 90% of the time. I don't know, just how i feel. I'm glad you got it figured out. Quite the annoying thing to have your truck down for, mine was down for the same thing when i did it.

Anywhose. . . . Merry Christmas dude

Copymutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Merry Christmas.
Made a rolling weight sled to transfer between the two trucks. Have a series of long hall trips over the divide coming up. Extremely important for wife’s Chemo. If we miss a trip she has to start all over. Outfitting the rig for every possible winter event.
Total of 360#. Won’t take it if forecast is good so it rolls into the K20 plow truck. I’ve never spun a tire plowing so its more for the convenience. Locks down w/ a grade 8, 5/8 bolt into a nut plate above the spare tire. Much easier than lifting everytime.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yeah, not to mention it's hard to trust anyone like that. You'd think they SHOULD be able to tell you what you need, but are probably peddling you crap 90% of the time. I don't know, just how i feel. I'm glad you got it figured out. Quite the annoying thing to have your truck down for, mine was down for the same thing when i did it.

Anywhose. . . . Merry Christmas dude
Back at you- Merry Christmas!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jonny1981k1500