What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
The 79 had some exhaust leaks develop. The donuts and I had one of those stupid air tube plugs just blow out somehow. As well as the exhaust is pretty junk and I hate the sound of the shorty cherry bombs. My grandpa always had before the axle dumps on the 79, so that's bittersweet to not have em. I'm sure because he was cheap about some stuff. His 93 he got a full tailpipe so I don't think he would be upset.

I had pulled the exhaust of the 85 before I traded it. Had a newer muffler shop exhaust, cheap glasspacks. I think it's only 1.5in(yuck) but that's what the old stuff was on the 79 anyways lol. Temporary for a good minute until I do a full 2.5 inch setup. Still need to tweak it a little bit(height) and get a couple tips, but it's not supposed to be a looker of a system.
You must be registered for see images attach

codfish

Drive a hybrid. I NEED your gas!!
Reaction score
First Name
gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Finally painted/finished my topper and installed it. Every truck I’ve ever owned had a cap, and frankly it felt naked without one. Lucky to find this period correct one.

This is my daily driver so it will keep my stuff rain and snow free when we go to the cabin every weekend.

Codfish

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Full front brake job. The only thing I reused was the wheel bearings, and only after a good cleaning and repacking. So new pads, calipers, rotors, hoses, and I even bought 16 new lug nuts. A couple of them were pretty tight when I'd pulled them off and on in the past and I figured with new rotors came new studs, and I should put new nuts on those studs. Now they all run on and off properly.

I was given an old set of Raybestos pads for the truck a few years ago from a friend who found them cleaning out his garage. They are PG plus line and are riveted. As I was installing them I thought that I could not remember the last time I ordered brake pads and was offered Raybestos. Not sure when the last time was I saw new riveted pads either. Anyone know if Raybestos still around?

Oh and it was cool out this morning and I had to flip on the defrosters this morning I thought I smelled a little coolant. Confirmed trace amounts of coolant on the heater box so I'll be doing that on Monday I suppose.....
It’s always somethin…eh?
Wanna do 2 heater cores? My thinking is if you do mine first, yours will be a breeze. Or if you do yours first, mine will basically replace itself with your current and recent experience. Have heater core, willing to drive…lol.

Or seriously, if ya think it would help with extra hands, I’d actually be down for doing it side by side w you. I’m sure it’s not the worst job in the world but you know more than me and I’ll bring the beer (or whiskey for you…).
And I’ll bring you your hood ornament.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Nice work. And I know that I still see Raybestos on Rock Auto but have no idea if they are who they were in the past. But, riveted pads? Boy, those have been around for a little while!

Also, I think we were conversing about fan clutch as a while back and you were looking for an update. Well, it’s doing just fine. Have a good day, man.

Chad
Good to hear on the fan clutch! Raybestos use to be THE top American made brand. Everyone used them in the 80's and 90's and pretty much every parts store carried them. I thought the same thing about the pads, I don't remember the last time I opened a box and found riveted pads!
It’s always somethin…eh?
Wanna do 2 heater cores? My thinking is if you do mine first, yours will be a breeze. Or if you do yours first, mine will basically replace itself with your current and recent experience. Have heater core, willing to drive…lol.

Or seriously, if ya think it would help with extra hands, I’d actually be down for doing it side by side w you. I’m sure it’s not the worst job in the world but you know more than me and I’ll bring the beer (or whiskey for you…).
And I’ll bring you your hood ornament.
They are not hard at all. 1 beer or 1 whiskey and coke job, unless it's hot out then 2 lol.

I'd like to meet you, spend the day chatting ect doing the cores, but this is the busy season at the shop and the farm and we are short handed at the shop so I haven't much of a life at the moment. Let me think about it and I'll ping you back in a PM response which might not be until tomorrow or late tonight.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Good to hear on the fan clutch! Raybestos use to be THE top American made brand. Everyone used them in the 80's and 90's and pretty much every parts store carried them. I thought the same thing about the pads, I don't remember the last time I opened a box and found riveted pads!

They are not hard at all. 1 beer or 1 whiskey and coke job, unless it's hot out then 2 lol.

I'd like to meet you, spend the day chatting ect doing the cores, but this is the busy season at the shop and the farm and we are short handed at the shop so I haven't much of a life at the moment. Let me think about it and I'll ping you back in a PM response which might not be until tomorrow or late tonight.
Not hard ya say? That's good cuz I gotta do mine too. Gonna do it while the interior is out for the T56 swap

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@SirRobyn0
Best news I’ve heard all week!
Judging by your capabilities (and not your drinking habits, lol) I’ll go ahead and assume it’s about a 2.5 beer job for me. Unless it’s hot out and I’m thirsty! But still that is comforting.
The ole Freedom Wagon needs a lot of things. Even in consideration it’s running like a top (knock on wood). But most/all of them can be deferred to foul weather indoor duties.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Finally painted/finished my topper and installed it. Every truck I’ve ever owned had a cap, and frankly it felt naked without one. Lucky to find this period correct one.

This is my daily driver so it will keep my stuff rain and snow free when we go to the cabin every weekend.

Codfish
Looks spectacular! Makes me cry just a little bit that it’ll be seeing winter duty. Idk how much they use salt/mag up there on the roads but it’s cold enough long enough that the meat of the winter should be just ice and not salt covered roads.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Swapped the steering shaft
Did it help? My '87 still has quite a bit of slop but I think most of it in the gearbox itself. I am considering replacing the bearing at the bottom end of the steering column but really don't know if that will help at all.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Did it help? My '87 still has quite a bit of slop but I think most of it in the gearbox itself. I am considering replacing the bearing at the bottom end of the steering column but really don't know if that will help at all.
It does tighten it up some. The biggest improvement for me was BY FAR finally biting the bullet and getting a redhead gearbox. I had rebuilt mine and adjusted it as close as I could get it... it was still sloppy and started leaking again a few months after the rebuild. The Redhead box was at my door the day after I ordered it and the rebuild was top notch. Steering feels as tight as my 2011 Suburban steering now and it just tracks perfectly straight down the road with almost no needed input from me anymore. Doesn't leak a drop anymore, but I'm pretty sure my pump is burnt up from running low on fluid from the old box leaking so much.

Ajax19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ajax
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
Got the tires mounted up I'm thinking about painting the wheels white

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230811-145444.png
    Screenshot_20230811-145444.png
    720.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_20230811-145458.png
    Screenshot_20230811-145458.png
    745.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20230811_150056865.jpg
    IMG_20230811_150056865.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 35

brooksman9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado & Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
350 & 305
Haven’t had a chance to drive it yet. I went ahead and ordered the ORD brace as well. Frame isn’t cracked and I’d like to keep it that way. I also need new tires really bad. Has some old dry rotted maxi muddies on it. I’ve been told they have t made those in years. Lol. Plan to put a shorter lift on it as well. As a matter of fact, your truck is my template more less.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Haven’t had a chance to drive it yet. I went ahead and ordered the ORD brace as well. Frame isn’t cracked and I’d like to keep it that way. I also need new tires really bad. Has some old dry rotted maxi muddies on it. I’ve been told they have t made those in years. Lol. Plan to put a shorter lift on it as well. As a matter of fact, your truck is my template more less.
Doesn't look to me like you need a template. Your truck looks fantastic to me.

I just found out how far NORTH you are, was hoping you were closer. I will be at Cruisin the Coast this year, you should consider bringing that Red Truck down there.

brooksman9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado & Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
350 & 305
Looks a lot worse in person. Earl Scheib paint job. Painted door panels and dash that has had it. But thank you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbluesquare