What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Hey!!! I could come down there! Whatcha having for supper?? :hmm:
Well I could cook some BBQ...or maybe some Southwest Tacos...What does my Sweet Pea want?

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
Which gasket are you using? Which ones did you use in the past?

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Got the earl pan off to do the gasket. Again. For the 3rd time :banghead: Gonna be here all day knocking out my Dino's list

You must be registered for see images attach

Sooo frustrating.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Which gasket are you using? Which ones did you use in the past?
It wasn't the gasket's fault. The first time was because I forgot to silicone the corners where the pan meets the front and rear covers. Then the second time, I discovered that my front cover is just half a hair width too low so I used a little more gasket maker than you usually would, but it wasn't enough. So this time, I'm going to just put gasket maker all around and call it good. I'm using the Mahle gasket, which I've had good luck with in the past. If/when the motor ever gets pulled back out to be refreshed, I'll be sure to make sure all 3 pieces are aligned properly

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
Put the “new” seat in with the new seat cover. Will hopefully help with the 0 degree or below mornings going to work. The old vinyl seat was rough to sit on, especially with a non insulated cab with plenty of drafts and the old heater motor that barely blew anything. This winter will hopefully be more comfortable.

Also, putting this seat in made the shoulder belts fit much better since the bottom cushion has the holes in it for the latches to come up through instead of the gap between the back and bottom. Not when I fold the seat foreword, the belts stay put.

Ben

Attachments

• 1F3BD8B7-08CB-481D-A215-43B7DE190519.jpeg
    1F3BD8B7-08CB-481D-A215-43B7DE190519.jpeg
    229.9 KB · Views: 37

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
Decided today to address the 18v display on the voltmeter. Pulled the plug off the alternator and it was pretty gross. Took a can of brake cleaner to clean it all the way. Cleaned the connections on the alt too. No change! Looks like a new alternator is due to come into this SB's life. While I was in the engine compartment I thought I'd use my YouTube skills and set the idle mixture screws using a vacuum gauge. No matter how much I turned the screws the gauge would not change. Might have to send it to the shop so a pro can do it.

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
Decided today to address the 18v display on the voltmeter. Pulled the plug off the alternator and it was pretty gross. Took a can of brake cleaner to clean it all the way. Cleaned the connections on the alt too. No change! Looks like a new alternator is due to come into this SB's life. While I was in the engine compartment I thought I'd use my YouTube skills and set the idle mixture screws using a vacuum gauge. No matter how much I turned the screws the gauge would not change. Might have to send it to the shop so a pro can do it.

Believe it or not, but that alternator connection you took a picture of is about the best looking connection. That’s just old dielectric grease on the terminal. Which keeps corrosion away. And it’s done a fantastic job there. The metal has no corrosion. If the connector was green or black then that would be bad.

If you don’t get any change in idle or vacuum with adjustment to the idle mixture screws, you most likely have the throttle blade stop too far in which means the throttle plates are pulling fuel from the transfer slot more than the idle passage. That’s why adjusting the idle screws is having no effect. There’s tons of opinions on where to start and how to go about it. Search the YouTube’s on which carb you have and your symptom and you’ll get an idea of what to do.

Ben

Ben

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Cleaned and painted my new drums so they wouldn't rust. They took the paint completely differently and have vastly different amounts of weight on them, pretty sure they came from different factories. I really hope they're balanced right. Didn't get a picture, but also mocked up my over-the-door seals that I'll be adding. They're a '78-80 only thing but I'm hoping that will help with my wind noise.

The first picture you posted of the two rear drums, I thought the same thing. Made in 2 different factories or even 2 different countries.

Finkaire

Finkaire
Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado c10
Engine Size
Same here, had to have them turned

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Put a reciever hitch on the CUCV a while ago, but the original pintle hitch was in the way and made it hard to connect to my small utility trailer. Finally decided to remove the pintle hitch since I don't use it anyways. Looked like a simple job, just 6 bolts, although they were kind of hard to get to with the reciever hitch in place.

Got the bolts off, but the hitch won't come out because the reciever hitch is in the way. Took off the reciever hitch, but now the bumper is in the way. Wanted to remove the bumper some day to clean it up and paint it, so what the heck, I'll take it off. The four inner bolts come off fine, but the outboard bolts aren't, they are turning in the holes. Managed to get three off using vice grips on the heads, but ended up cutting off the fourth.

After finally getting everything out of the way, the pintle hitch came out. Gotta get some new bumper bolts now, and didn't really want to work on the bumper today anyways since I just spent about four times as long as I planned to remove tbe pintle hitch, so I'll run it without the bumper for a few days.

Since I need to pull my trailer today, I put the reviever hitch back on, but while doing so, I notice that the fuel tank straps are broken at the T nuts! The only thing holding the fuel tank in is the skid plate. Now I have to find some straps and drop the fuel tank.

So much for checking a "quick job" off of my to do list.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Well still not the square yet but the mini square was decorated by me and the children for the town halloween parade last night. So much fun hearing people comment on your truck and your decorations! The look on the lil kids faces as the y hold their candy bags out was priceless. My first parade experience was amazing!!! Cant wait to do it again next year!

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
More and the giant crapper in front of me. More pics from while we were in the parade coming once they get sent to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade