What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Little more done painted. Only light blue left on hood, cab and top of bed sides.
This thing better be all the right color by this time next week!
You must be registered for see images attach
Are you painting this truck in sections (parts hanging) or all together? I had wanted to get mine in its new color (disassembled) and then re-assemble it.....allow me to fix any scratches from assembling - maybe shoot it again, before clear and buff. A buddy of mine says you cant paint them unless they are assembled first. ?!

Looks great btw.

wlwarnke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
This sounds like a cool mod. How's that work?
Depends on the year of your Square. My buddies 89 was a simple plug in.

My 83 had a black box buzzer (seatbelt reminder). I removed it and used some of those terminals for power, ground, ignition, and added a wire from the lamps terminal in the fuse block. I mounted it near by and ran the loomed wires to it. Took like 15 minutes.

Now my kids get a pleasant “ding, ding, ding” when they leave the lights on.

Attachments

• E54D2CE7-9497-49E9-B866-E986ACB317DA.jpeg
    E54D2CE7-9497-49E9-B866-E986ACB317DA.jpeg
    47.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 3106E938-AED4-440F-8756-DC2CE0FDF9E5.jpeg
    3106E938-AED4-440F-8756-DC2CE0FDF9E5.jpeg
    27 KB · Views: 51

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Are you painting this truck in sections (parts hanging) or all together? I had wanted to get mine in its new color (disassembled) and then re-assemble it.....allow me to fix any scratches from assembling - maybe shoot it again, before clear and buff. A buddy of mine says you cant paint them unless they are assembled first. ?!

Looks great btw.

Thank you! I’m painting it a little at a time.
Sketchy heat, gotta stop at each coat, let fans clear out, warm up between coats (clear coat anyway), and 2 tone.
I have the cab in tact, doors and fenders, so no big re-assembly. I got the bed, hood, tailgate and misc parts off.
Since I’m a half ass painter with a $99 paint gun, in a shop that is like 50-60 degrees when it’s “warm”, for a better finish, I’d rather paint the doors and fenders laying flat if they were already off the truck. Better finish out of the gun and scratches aren’t a concern if you just tape up the corners when you’re assembling.
Main reason to paint it all “together” is no risk of a slightly different shade of color day to day. That’s why I’m hoping to do the hood, cab and top of bed at the same time. But my color seems real consistent so far. So not really worried about that.
If you’re doing 2 stage base/clear you have to clear as you paint So can’t paint it and wait without re sanding the base coat. And even prepped right, clear bonds best to fresh base coat before it cures Compared to sanded base coat.
A real painter, like maybe your buddy, would want to paint it all at once. Color consistency guaranteed and production.

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Depends on the year of your Square. My buddies 89 was a simple plug in.

My 83 had a black box buzzer (seatbelt reminder). I removed it and used some of those terminals for power, ground, ignition, and added a wire from the lamps terminal in the fuse block. I mounted it near by and ran the loomed wires to it. Took like 15 minutes.

Now my kids get a pleasant “ding, ding, ding” when they leave the lights on.
I’ve saved this in the “**** I want to do to the truck” folder! Thanks for the directions!
My 86 should have a seat belt buzzer? Well I’m glad that that is the only electrical online that doesn’t work! Lol.
It does have a working key in ignition buzzer though!

wlwarnke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I’ve saved this in the “**** I want to do to the truck” folder! Thanks for the directions!
My 86 should have a seat belt buzzer? Well I’m glad that that is the only electrical online that doesn’t work! Lol.
It does have a working key in ignition buzzer though!
I believe the ding started with the TBI (87?)

I bought several modules from PicknPull. They’re like $2 each. The F body ones sound the best. Pull the module and the plug for it. To the left of the steering column. 2 screws holding the connector in place I think.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
I pulled off a grand slam. I have a long term client that owns one of the last real radiator shops on the west coast, 3 locations. (A-1 Radiator) He has been looking for a new employee for counter sales. My son works at Auto zone and is tired of the low level intelligence of the customers that shop there and was just about ready to start looking for a better job. The client wanted to do some work on his vacation home and we got to talking.

I put my son and client together, he got the job and a 40% increase in pay, he made friends with the guys in the shop and as a perk when they are not busy they will do work on his truck for only the price of parts. ( and beer/lunch money) He got his cooling system checked out that we had just installed, they found a intake gasket leak and fixed it, found tired old broken motor mounts and replaced them. Replaced the cheap plastic petcock on his new radiator. So I no longer need to help with basic repairs on his truck so I can do the fun stuff, like restoration.

Client is happy to have a new employee that is doing a better job than existing employee, and getting compliments from customers and guys from the other stores that he deals with. Son is happy with new job and his pay increase, as well as not dealing with angry Auto zone customers. I'm happy for both of them and that I can now concentrate on the fun stuff. Win win win.

So much more fun talking with my son now that he has no complaints about his job, but I will miss the funny stories about Auto zone customers that think their opinion about how to look up parts matters. Some people think they can get replacement parts without sharing any information, some people think you can get a new part just by showing the cashier the old part without sharing what year make and model it came off of, then they get angry fantasizing that an Autozone cashier is a trained mechanic and knows everything about every car ever made.

Last edited:

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi

Looks great btw.
We have done my entire truck in parts painted off. We are asymbling painted parts. The trick to this method is " make damn sure you have enough paint upfront and mix it all so it is one big can of the same color.
Eric

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I pulled off a grand slam. I have a long term client that owns one of the last real radiator shops on the west coast, 3 locations. (A-1 Radiator) He has been looking for a new employee for counter sales. My son works at Auto zone and is tired of the low level intelligence of the customers that shop there and was just about ready to start looking for a better job. The client wanted to fly me to Hawaii to do some work on his vacation home and we got to talking.

I put my son and client together, he got the job and a 40% increase in pay, he made friends with the guys in the shop and as a perk when they are not busy they will do work on his truck for only the price of parts. He got his cooling system checked out that we had just installed, they found a intake gasket leak and fixed it, found tired old broken motor mounts and replaced them. Replaced the cheap plastic petcock on his new radiator. So I no longer need to help with basic repairs on his truck so I can do the fun stuff, like restoration.

Client is happy to have a new employee that is doing a better job than existing employee, and getting compliments from customers and guys from the other stores that he deals with. Son is happy with new job and his major pay increase, as well as not dealing with ignorant angry Auto zone customers. I'm happy for both of them and that I can now concentrate on the fun stuff. Win win win.

So much more fun talking with my son now that he has no complaints about his job, but I will miss the funny stories about Auto zone customers that think their opinion about how to look up parts matters. Some people think they can get replacement parts without sharing any information, some people think you can get a new part just by showing the cashier the old part without sharing what year make and model it came off of, then they get angry fantasizing that an Autozone cashier is a trained mechanic and knows everything about every car ever made.
I did tool and die for 20 yrs. Guy I worked with did a stint with Autozone during an extended layoff. Said a guy called in looking for an air filter for a Pontiac Goulie. Fella said there was no such car and the guy got mouthy. Said he would bring it down to prove it.

It was a Pontiac 6000 LE.

Go figure.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
I did tool and die for 20 yrs. Guy I worked with did a stint with Autozone during an extended layoff. Said a guy called in looking for an air filter for a Pontiac Goulie. Fella said there was no such car and the guy got mouthy. Said he would bring it down to prove it.

It was a Pontiac 6000 LE.

Go figure.
One of my Son's best stories was a guy that came into AutoZone looking for parts for his older Chevy truck, took one look at my son who is 29 years old and made the judgement that my son was too young to know anything about the customers truck, so he went to the kid that was 5 years younger than my son and asked him who had the most experience with older trucks. The kid pointed to my son and said he knows more than all of us and he actually owns one, yeah that one out in the parking lot is his. My son told the customer he made his decision and would not help him due to his attitude. He would ask customers what make model and year they had, had several just point to the parking lot and say (with attitude) "It's right there. As if that answered the question. Funny people.

Last edited:

wlwarnke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I pulled off a grand slam. I have a long term client that owns one of the last real radiator shops on the west coast, 3 locations. (A-1 Radiator) He has been looking for a new employee for counter sales. My son works at Auto zone and is tired of the low level intelligence of the customers that shop there and was just about ready to start looking for a better job. The client wanted to do some work on his vacation home and we got to talking.

I put my son and client together, he got the job and a 40% increase in pay, he made friends with the guys in the shop and as a perk when they are not busy they will do work on his truck for only the price of parts. He got his cooling system checked out that we had just installed, they found a intake gasket leak and fixed it, found tired old broken motor mounts and replaced them. Replaced the cheap plastic petcock on his new radiator. So I no longer need to help with basic repairs on his truck so I can do the fun stuff, like restoration.

Client is happy to have a new employee that is doing a better job than existing employee, and getting compliments from customers and guys from the other stores that he deals with. Son is happy with new job and his pay increase, as well as not dealing with angry Auto zone customers. I'm happy for both of them and that I can now concentrate on the fun stuff. Win win win.

So, what’s the trick?

Getting your son to have an actual job that is.

My 19yo is going to UT and says he just doesn’t have time for a regular job. He’s been tinkering with Uber Eats and some kinda Ad posting bs.

Hell, Target right down the road from me pays like $24/hr.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
So, what’s the trick?

Getting your son to have an actual job that is.

My 19yo is going to UT and says he just doesn’t have time for a regular job. He’s been tinkering with Uber Eats and some kinda Ad posting bs.

Hell, Target right down the road from me pays like $24/hr.
Well, his first job was at a grocery store while he was in high school. I stood with him (supported) when he told me he hated the grocery store job and asked if he could quit. Was my first job also when I was 17 and I hated it. LOL. Then he pissed me off when he took more than 6 months to "find" the perfect job, wanted to work someplace that one of his friends worked. Told me one too many times "I'm looking for a job"

I told him, "tomorrow I am going to show you the difference between looking and getting" I took him to one of the Manpower type businesses that find employees for employers. Because he speaks perfect English, does not have face tattoos and has never been in prison. He was hired on the spot and working the next day. He had to stand in a freezer and assemble Starbucks sandwiches on an assembly line with ex-cons with face tattoos that spoke very little English.

He hated the job but he learned how easy it is to get a job and the principle of stepping stones. Start with what you can get and move UP. It's easier to get a job when you already have one. I had him work with me for a year, was going to turn the business over to him when I retire, both sons don't not want to do what I do, even though he could be making $100.00 an hour within 3 years.

He decided to go the Army route, did a 6x8?(6 active, 2 reserve) tour as a blackhawk helicopter mechanic, deployed 3 times. Because he has 90% disability from the Army he really doesn't need to work so he took an easy job at Autozone. It's hard to watch your kid take a chit job that he is highly over qualified for. I just couldn't let it go and kept planting seeds until he got to the point where the wonderful Autozone customers helped motivate him to seek employment where there are less customers with impulse/anger control issues.

I just happened to meet with a client and it came up in conversation. He was actively looking for someone with automotive knowledge for counter sales. He knew my son had experience looking up parts and extensive auto parts vocabulary knowledge. It was a good match for both parties.

The short answer is I don't talk TO my son's, I talk with them. Instead of telling them what they should be doing, I use other people and myself as examples to teach concepts and life skills. I talk with both of my sons a lot, but NOT like a parent. I learned from others I know that if we don't stop parenting when our kids become adults, we WILL push them away. Making them too comfortable makes it harder for them to self motivate also. Doing too much for them creates dependents instead of adults.

Kind of funny, my son and I just talked about this last night, got a good laugh about the freezer sandwiches job.

Traucht

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
A
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Wife and kids love mine. SoftTopper, vintage air, bangin system. It doubles as a family hauler, road trip vehicle. This was last 4th of July down in Port A.

You must be registered for see images attach
Nice looking rig!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eri24