What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

82k20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jerry barnard
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
350 modified
thanks again bucket i figure i can get a little cash for em

suburble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C20
Engine Size
Found out why it was running rough...

Attachments

• IMG_20140114_173801.jpg
    IMG_20140114_173801.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_20140114_173840.jpg
    IMG_20140114_173840.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20140114_174018.jpg
    IMG_20140114_174018.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 78

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

suburble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C20
Engine Size
Damn, Did you say running rough, or NOT running? :insane:

Had a bad miss last time I drove it on Friday. Went to start it on Saturday and it started, stalled out, and then nothing. When I went to pull a plug boot to check for spark it crumbled apart in my hand.

Until that happened I thought it was the carb acting up again.

I had it on the list to change out the plugs and wires, they were just a LOT worse than I thought.

I'm replacing the cap, rotor, plug wires, plugs, and coil. I may replace the connector ends that plug into the coil through the cap, too, if I can find 'em in the parts store.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
My two-year-old Cardone reman power steering pump has been getting worse and worse, hissing on every turn with nearly no assist when it's hot outside and the engine is at low rpm's. It got to the point where I had to shift into neutral and brake with my left foot while revving the engine with my right just to turn a corner at the bottom of a hill. It came from O'Reilly's with a lifetime warranty but that doesn't do me much good when I'm out in bfe somewhere trying to turn. Time for an upgrade.

Chose a PSC SP1400 pump. They're brand new pumps modified for more flow. The rock crawler guys use 'em so it should be overkill for my hydroboost and 35" tires.

New pump in the can with the Cardone unit on the left...

You must be registered for see images attach

Pulled the grill to relocate the aftermarket ps cooler which was sandwiched between the oil cooler and radiator over to the passenger side. Also wanted to change it's orientation from vertical to horizontal thanks to an earlier post by austinado.

New brackets made from some scrap aluminum I had laying around...

Getting prepped for a little rattle-can detail to clean up the support...

Cooler moved...

I always have the same problem when I'm trying to reinstall the pulley. You're supposed to hold the end of the tool with one wrench and turn the nut on the pusher bearing with another. All it does though is back the tool out of the pulley. Maybe it's just the cheap install tool I have but it's always a fight. Finally got smart and pulled out my old strap wrench. Used it to keep the pulley from spinning while I wrenched on the install tool, it worked like a charm.

Bled the system and took her out for a spin. The PSC pump works well even while turning and hard braking at the same time... something the old pump couldn't handle. Time will tell on it's durability.

anubisani

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
SEAN
Truck Year
Truck Model
R/V 3500
Engine Size
454 TBI TH400 4:11 gears
DID THIS OVER THE WEEKENDTHE MIRRORS
You must be registered for see images

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
My two-year-old Cardone reman power steering pump has been getting worse and worse, hissing on every turn with nearly no assist when it's hot outside and the engine is at low rpm's. It got to the point where I had to shift into neutral and brake with my left foot while revving the engine with my right just to turn a corner at the bottom of a hill. It came from O'Reilly's with a lifetime warranty but that doesn't do me much good when I'm out in bfe somewhere trying to turn. Time for an upgrade.

Chose a PSC SP1400 pump. They're brand new pumps modified for more flow. The rock crawler guys use 'em so it should be overkill for my hydroboost and 35" tires.

New pump in the can with the Cardone unit on the left...

Pulled the grill to relocate the aftermarket ps cooler which was sandwiched between the oil cooler and radiator over to the passenger side. Also wanted to change it's orientation from vertical to horizontal thanks to an earlier post by austinado.

New brackets made from some scrap aluminum I had laying around...

Getting prepped for a little rattle-can detail to clean up the support...

Cooler moved...

I always have the same problem when I'm trying to reinstall the pulley. You're supposed to hold the end of the tool with one wrench and turn the nut on the pusher bearing with another. All it does though is back the tool out of the pulley. Maybe it's just the cheap install tool I have but it's always a fight. Finally got smart and pulled out my old strap wrench. Used it to keep the pulley from spinning while I wrenched on the install tool, it worked like a charm.

Bled the system and took her out for a spin. The PSC pump works well even while turning and hard braking at the same time... something the old pump couldn't handle. Time will tell on it's durability.

Do you have a thread with your truck? This should prolly be added to it. Orrr, mabye even a tech write up thread. So this pump is what the Crawlers use too? And it's NEW, not Reman? I'm so sick of replacing power steering pumps. I need to do something with mine. Of course I'm replacing with used ones, so I can't say much, but eventually I'd like to get a good new one. Power Steering pumps are NORMALLY something that once you get a good one, they'll last over 100,000 miles and be problem free or even longer.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Not sure I can get used to those. They look to Fordish to me. :hidesbehindsofa: I bet they function real well though.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Had a bad miss last time I drove it on Friday. Went to start it on Saturday and it started, stalled out, and then nothing. When I went to pull a plug boot to check for spark it crumbled apart in my hand.

Until that happened I thought it was the carb acting up again.

I had it on the list to change out the plugs and wires, they were just a LOT worse than I thought.

I'm replacing the cap, rotor, plug wires, plugs, and coil. I may replace the connector ends that plug into the coil through the cap, too, if I can find 'em in the parts store.

High black carbon content in the distributor cap and on the rotor, or, burnt, is a sign of too much resistance downstream, meaning plugs or plug wires.
I guess this time it was mostly from the wires huh. :boxed::rotflmao::hidesbehindsofa:

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Do you have a thread with your truck? This should prolly be added to it. Orrr, mabye even a tech write up thread. So this pump is what the Crawlers use too? And it's NEW, not Reman?

No thread dedicated to my truck, I just jump in where and when I can. Besides, I still consider myself a student more than a teacher.

Yep, these are new pumps that are tweaked a bit for optimum flow and pressure. They can support ram-assisted steering so they should work for us too. Two things though: They aren't cheap ($168 shipped) and they require a cooler. I'm hoping it's the last pump I have to install.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
No thread dedicated to my truck, I just jump in where and when I can. Besides, I still consider myself a student more than a teacher.

Yep, these are new pumps that are tweaked a bit for optimum flow and pressure. They can support ram-assisted steering so they should work for us too. Two things though: They aren't cheap ($168 shipped) and they require a cooler. I'm hoping it's the last pump I have to install.

I kinda figured it would have a 3 digit price tag. But, if you can buy it once and put that issue to bed for many years, it's probably worth it. And one you can depend on too, especially with hydroboost.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Yeah, I'm a cheap bastard but when I get fed up with something I whip out the Visa card. :biggun:

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

I still think those mirrors look kinda cool on our squares. :hidesbehindsofa: