What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Can anyone tell me what the hell this thing is and what it does: it's a wheel on the front of the AC Compressor on the other side of the belt. SOMETIMES and i don't know why it does this, but i need to know haha about every 5 seconds this wheel spins for a second and it feels like it pulsates the whole truck as it's running, and it just comes to a complete stop. spins, stops. what is this doing? (this isn't a picture of my engine bay, it's an example online) My truck is a '80 High Sierra 454 with factory A/C that doesn't work at the moment

You must be registered for see images attach
AC Clutch? o_O;):33: It engages the pulled to the compressor when the AC is on. When off it let's it freewheel so it's not turning the compressor when off..since it wouldn't be off then. Haha it's got an electro magnet in it that sucks the pulley to it when you turn the AC on hence the wires.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Brake pedal was real easy to push till about half way then brakes would work. Brake light came on. So I pulled the top off the Mc to add a little fluid. And the rubber gasket with the round deals that come down as the fluid level does was all contorted and not sealing properly. So I fixed that putting it back right and added some fluid.

Took it for a spin and the brakes work better now but, the brake light is on. Why?

Proportioning valve may be stuck to one side since lack of pressure. Hopefully no air in the system. Give it a bit. Take something and go up front underneath on the front cross member and give it a tap. If there is a reset button on it press it. I don't think this one has one but some I think do on certain vehicles.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I've been using amazon basics oil for about $27 for 6 qts. Forget the website, but you can compare different oils to each other (science side of it) and amazon oil was almost as good as Amsoil. Better than other standard brands and cheaper. Makes me not feel bad when I put a wix filter on it :)

[edit] should have mentioned I use 5w30 full synth on the LM7 5.3.

https://pqia.org/passenger-car-motor-oil/
Project Farm on YouTube has done extensive oil testing. You can spend hours on his oil tests. He is not sponsored by anyone.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I've been using amazon basics oil for about $27 for 6 qts. Forget the website, but you can compare different oils to each other (science side of it) and amazon oil was almost as good as Amsoil. Better than other standard brands and cheaper. Makes me not feel bad when I put a wix filter on it :)

[edit] should have mentioned I use 5w30 full synth on the LM7 5.3.

https://pqia.org/passenger-car-motor-oil/
Great website. I found one similar at one time. If was a list. I think I have been to this one before but forgot about it. Select the HD diesel oils at the top and see how much more zinc is in that oil vs the passenger car oil. That's why I run diesel oil in all the small engines and my flat tappet engines .

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
I like these tests people do on YouTube.

I gotta say,after watching a air filter test,my Ram’s,my Chevy’s K&N filter came right out.Pretty scary!Theres a reason they flow so well....

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
I replaced my Shocks with some KYB monomax monotubes. Definitely needed it since I could collapse all 4 shocks by hand relatively easily. Posted A video in Videos if anyone is interested. I know most of you need no how to for shocks but there are newbs buying squares every day.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Brake pedal was real easy to push till about half way then brakes would work. Brake light came on. So I pulled the top off the Mc to add a little fluid. And the rubber gasket with the round deals that come down as the fluid level does was all contorted and not sealing properly. So I fixed that putting it back right and added some fluid.

Took it for a spin and the brakes work better now but, the brake light is on. Why?

Check the fluid color in the MC. When I bought my truck, light was on and braking was horrible. Found the rear reservoir was a green color (contaminated). Replaced MC, rear cylinders, flushed lines no problems after that. Mine is a 74, but could be similar to yours.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
AC Clutch? o_O;):33: It engages the pulled to the compressor when the AC is on. When off it let's it freewheel so it's not turning the compressor when off..since it wouldn't be off then. Haha it's got an electro magnet in it that sucks the pulley to it when you turn the AC on hence the wires.

my dad since told me that it means the freon is low, is a pressure thing. didn't know i had any in it to begin, previous owner told me AC didn't work (although it is complete) i just never needed it and didn't get around to it. heard it needed converted from the older style to recharge

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
my dad since told me that it means the freon is low, is a pressure thing. didn't know i had any in it to begin, previous owner told me AC didn't work (although it is complete) i just never needed it and didn't get around to it. heard it needed converted from the older style to recharge
Yea if nothing has been done it's r12. It needs r134a if you want to go back with the common stuff. The proper way is to have someone recover what's In there. Also make sure you use oil that's compatible with old oil and new freon. You should really flush it as well between the new stuff. Also there is fittings to screw on the old that adapt to new gauges and hoses

just_some_guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Barclay
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer Siverado
Engine Size
5.7L

I gotta say,after watching a air filter test,my Ram’s,my Chevy’s K&N filter came right out.Pretty scary!Theres a reason they flow so well....

What was the test result like with the K&N? Do you have a link to the video?

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force

I was told about it from a buddy of mine years ago also. I never personally saw the video or website which ever it was.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Great website. I found one similar at one time. If was a list. I think I have been to this one before but forgot about it. Select the HD diesel oils at the top and see how much more zinc is in that oil vs the passenger car oil. That's why I run diesel oil in all the small engines and my flat tappet engines .

yeh, but the sheet on the amazon oil a few years ago had more info on it. Compare amazon to amsoil and you'll see what I'm saying. I'll have to refresh my memory on what ingredients are good and such. Then I'll look at the diesel oil so I can understand what I'm looking at lol.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Yea if nothing has been done it's r12. It needs r134a if you want to go back with the common stuff. The proper way is to have someone recover what's In there. Also make sure you use oil that's compatible with old oil and new freon. You should really flush it as well between the new stuff. Also there is fittings to screw on the old that adapt to new gauges and hoses

reading material lol

https://blog.amsoil.com/a-beginners-guide-to-motor-oil/

SN vs SN Plus

https://pqia.org/2019/05/31/sn-plus-motor-oils-calcium-down-magnesium-up/

[edit] more reading including the new SP rating (didn't know about it)....done with oil stuff for now lol

https://www.api.org/products-and-se...d-classifications/oil-categories#tab-gasoline

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silverado9019