What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
I'm really starting to ******* hate this Trans fluid level saga!! Ok I fired it up checked it and not touching stick. So I think. Do I have the wrong stick?

I have the old th350 on the garage floor. So I take out that one to compare the two. The one I was using was 26" and the other was 28 3/4" long.

You must be registered for see images attach

Googled the length of the dipstick and said 27". Then saw one at summit that was 34". Then remembered i had another one in the garage and it measures 32".

I have NO IDEA which one is right. Is Google right at 27"? Idk. :emotions122:

If someone could do me a big favor and measure their th350 stick for me, I'd really appreciate it. I measure just the metal stick and not to the cap.

This simple job has really ended up a royal pain in my ass!! I can't afford to run it too full and **** it up. It's not cavitation by the pump because you can definitely hear that if the pump was starving for fluid.

Because when I stuck the longer ones it there,
of course it showed up past the hot mark and it was cold. Thanks for any help.

:party52: :patriot:

How are you measuring?
Like, bottom of the upper plug to the end ?
Goldies back from the pros so I can measure, but ...

TH350C, if that makes a difference.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Drove her back from the shop.

Hoping the price tag for towing, diagnostic tests, and repair with a made in the US AC Delco ignition module ( phucking knew that bastard was the culprit) is enough to build my confidence back up.

I was worried a bad coil or something was frying modules, but sounds like my typical luck - bad.

Gonna go get another one from devolved as a backup as I have already spent the money.

Runs good (now), though.

Jealous bitch sucked up dollars I would have spent probably on the Camaro.

Should have just had an affair rather than buy an old truck- cheaper.

:D

(No, it would not be. There is a reason they say cheaper to keep her, and they ain't talking automotive... )

:eek:

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
How are you measuring?
Like, bottom of the upper plug to the end ?
Goldies back from the pros so I can measure, but ...

TH350C, if that makes a difference.

Just measured the stick, not the cap and handle. Thanks

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Just measured the stick, not the cap and handle. Thanks

32 and 3/4 ", or thereabouts.

The tip was at the end of the tape.

Night shots, BTW.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
32 and 3/4 ", or thereabouts.

The tip was at the end of the tape.

Night shots, BTW.

Thanks man that helps a lot. The one I pulled out of the one in the garage is about that long.

Lil'm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
1979 1980
Truck Model
K10 shorts
Engine Size
Turn signal switch broke on 79 K10 just as I pulled into a gas station shorting out the horn and blasting it at everyone there. Selecting the right replacement was confusing. LMC, Brothers, and Classic industries all had some offerings but most were specific about not for cruise control equipped, may need special adaptor (which none of them had or defined), & other disclaimers. Didn't want to break it all apart & not have the right part so I called them all and nobody could clarify anything.

Went to the Rock Auto site that had several offerings including AC Delco that said would fit my application without qualifiers. The others just had off brands. They don't have a customer service line so I rolled the dice. The part was an exact match including the connector.

Tha job itself was a pain. You'll need a steering wheel puller which I had AND a compression type tool (which I did not have) to compress a spring loaded retaining ring holding it all in. When I removed the old one I attached a wire to the old harness at the bottom of the steering shaft housing so that I could pull the new wires back down through the housing. There's zero extra room in that housing so just trying to push the new harness through would not have been an option.

If this should happen to you go with the Delco

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Thanks man that helps a lot. The one I pulled out of the one in the garage is about that long.

Its going to be an expensive oops if it isn't the right length. If you are going to use someone else's dipstick measurement as a baseline, you should also make sure they have the same dipstick tube length. That is what will be determining if the dipstick is the right length. That's also assuming that theirs was the right length to begin with. It's a pain, but I would definitely be pulling the pan to make sure the level reading was right on the dipstick you will be using.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Turn signal switch broke on 79 K10 just as I pulled into a gas station shorting out the horn and blasting it at everyone there. Selecting the right replacement was confusing. LMC, Brothers, and Classic industries all had some offerings but most were specific about not for cruise control equipped, may need special adaptor (which none of them had or defined), & other disclaimers. Didn't want to break it all apart & not have the right part so I called them all and nobody could clarify anything.

Went to the Rock Auto site that had several offerings including AC Delco that said would fit my application without qualifiers. The others just had off brands. They don't have a customer service line so I rolled the dice. The part was an exact match including the connector.

Tha job itself was a pain. You'll need a steering wheel puller which I had AND a compression type tool (which I did not have) to compress a spring loaded retaining ring holding it all in. When I removed the old one I attached a wire to the old harness at the bottom of the steering shaft housing so that I could pull the new wires back down through the housing. There's zero extra room in that housing so just trying to push the new harness through would not have been an option.

If this should happen to you go with the Delco

This is really timely and helpful. Mine is loose, and when I look in the hole on the side of the column you can see the white housing is cracked but everything still works for now. I need to replace my stock lever with an aftermarket one with the 4 wires for the engine swap Cruise Control but didn't want to pull everything apart until I had a replacement turn signal switch too. Oh, and my horn stopped working a while back too and doesn't seem to be the button itself that is the issue.

Lil'm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
1979 1980
Truck Model
K10 shorts
Engine Size
This is really timely and helpful. Mine is loose, and when I look in the hole on the side of the column you can see the white housing is cracked but everything still works for now. I need to replace my stock lever with an aftermarket one with the 4 wires for the engine swap Cruise Control but didn't want to pull everything apart until I had a replacement turn signal switch too. Oh, and my horn stopped working a while back too and doesn't seem to be the button itself that is the issue.
Well at least if it goes, your horn won't be blasting out of control. I was a bit nervous to do this not knowing what was behind that horn pad & I got stymied right away when I tried to get the locking plate off. Of course, there's a tool for that & a mechanic friend knew what I was describing and had one to lend. Actually called alock plate compressor & would guess the auto parts stores have & loan them. I was trying to do it without one & it was impossible. Unable to work on it continuously so it took me several hours of stop/start. I Probably could do it again in a bit more than an hour if I had a straight go at it. Good luck-

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
He didn't crank it so it never left the pan. I would not worry about that personally.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
When I poured the wrong in it was less than a quart. I never started it so the pump didn't suck it up into the Trans. Drained it out and put 6qts in of the right atf. Checked it before fired it up. Not on stick. Fired it up. Went through the gears paused for each one. Checked and not on stick. Dtove around the block. Checked in street. Not on the stick. Parked it because it was getting dark. It sat for day and half.

Checked it without starting in driveway and there it is way up on the stick to the hump. Now if it's supposed to be down on the tip of the stick cold. Why is it so high on the stick cold?

It's such an easy job that has turned out to be a pita. I'm afraid I have too much in there and don't want **** something up driving around with it too full. Think I might have to drain some out. Idk it's acting the opposite of what I've read and been told.

Should the level rise or drop after warming up?
It will drop when you crank it up. That's why you check it while running, it also expands is why they say check it hot

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If you are going to pull the pan to drain any possible overfill condition it is super easy to find out which one is correct. Here's a video on it, but basically you want to make sure the "full hot" mark on the dipstick is 1/4" above the pan sealing surface. With that big of a difference in length, one of them will be the right length and the other will either be hitting the bottom of the pan, or not sticking out of the dipstick tube at all.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
It has a drain plug. Really easy to drain some out if needed. Messy but not hard.

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
What about 3 printing them? Hell not a bad idea for a business. Hmm....gotta side reason to get one for work :)

I need a custom10 badge when you do!!! Can't find those anywhere

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cmritz