What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
Oh I know now! I learned young on thumpers, dirtbikes lead to me working on everything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah, thumpers.
My first one was a 1980 xr80 I got from my buddy's dad. It was parked behind his shed with the pegs broken off (stump wreck...lol) and it had a hole in the case.
I beat the kickstarter with a hammer while my dad was at work and it finally loosened up. Then the damn thing started!
I **** you not.
Dad came home and drilled and tapped the hole and I ran it until I was like 12. It was so much cooler than my neighbors z50. lol
I had a few others, but nothing was as cool as that first xr I "fixed". The xr250 was a great bike, though.
I bought a klr650 later that never really did it for me or filled the void of air cooled dirt bikes. Those klrs are just pigs in the dirt.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
Maybe ill try to make a quick vid one of these days so you guys can see. (Probly not since my phones a bitch...)
You need a new phone, man! I just got this Motorola g7 from boost for my personal phone for under 100 and its not bad at all. Battery is great. Granted, I haven't used the video yet.
Maybe I'll get a vid tomorrow morning. I really need to do some yard work bad, but definitely going to be working on the truck this weekend. No kiddo and no plans (except for my FWB coming over Sunday. I hope she likes atf and grease)

fmxr47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ah, thumpers.
My first one was a 1980 xr80 I got from my buddy's dad. It was parked behind his shed with the pegs broken off (stump wreck...lol) and it had a hole in the case.
I beat the kickstarter with a hammer while my dad was at work and it finally loosened up. Then the damn thing started!
I **** you not.
Dad came home and drilled and tapped the hole and I ran it until I was like 12. It was so much cooler than my neighbors z50. lol
I had a few others, but nothing was as cool as that first xr I "fixed". The xr250 was a great bike, though.
I bought a klr650 later that never really did it for me or filled the void of air cooled dirt bikes. Those klrs are just pigs in the dirt.

My first bike was a 78 xr75 my dad bought for me when I was about 5, couldn’t even ride it without him starting me out and him jumping off the back. When I wanted to stop I had to fall over or jump off [emoji23] the exhaust was so rotted it kept getting shorter and shorter as he kept brazing on the end to the “good” metal that was left. I want to get another one and restore it someday. I have several bike projects at the moment as well. The coolest is my xl509 high compression engine I’m putting in a xr250 monoshock frame with modern suspension.

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
My first bike was a 78 xr75 my dad bought for me when I was about 5, couldn’t even ride it without him starting me out and him jumping off the back. When I wanted to stop I had to fall over or jump off [emoji23] the exhaust was so rotted it kept getting shorter and shorter as he kept brazing on the end to the “good” metal that was left. I want to get another one and restore it someday. I have several bike projects at the moment as well. The coolest is my xl509 high compression engine I’m putting in a xr250 monoshock frame with modern suspension.

That's awesome, man. I've thought about trying to find and restore an old xr80, too. Something cool about those simple, all metal bikes.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
You'd do best to put the piston exactly on TDC for two reasons. If it's not on TDC the air will push it down to BDC. If the crank is right on center the pressure can't turn it. Also something goes wonky and the air pressure doesn't hold the valves closed while the keepers are off a piston at TDC will keep the valves from falling into the cylinder.

IIRC, we were both shocked when the engine spun with the air pressure , and 7 plugs still in.

What you say makes sense - if you were truly worried about the valves dropping, I guess you could use a magnetic holder or tie a strong to it.

We were not (smart enough to be :anitoof:) scared of that prospect and did not do it.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Come on, man, you gotta feel it!

Reminds me of this time I had to do a timing belt on an 87 Accord in an Arby's parking lot and I was a tooth off.
Good times. :D

Never done one - may try on the 4runner , and may be a lazy SOB and have it done.

Neither has happened, but it is a non interference motor (3.4) so not too skeered .

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
Never done one - may try on the 4runner , and may be a lazy SOB and have it done.

Neither has happened, but it is a non interference motor (3.4) so not too skeered .
The Accord was an interference engine, and I have no clue how I didn't destroy it.
I knew the belt was half shredded before it let loose, too. I guess I was just lazy and stupid, and had only paid 400 for the car like a year earlier so I didn't care?
But it worked after I swapped it other than having no power from being a tooth off. I pulled over at a quick fill and shoved the distributor all the way forward and got power back and kept running the piss out of it.
I can't say it was a fun job, but it really wasn't that bad. The engine mount was kind of a pain.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
IIRC, we were both shocked when the engine spun with the air pressure , and 7 plugs still in.

What you say makes sense - if you were truly worried about the valves dropping, I guess you could use a magnetic holder or tie a strong to it.

We were not (smart enough to be :anitoof:) scared of that prospect and did not do it.

Well, what pushes the piston down when the engine is running? Pressure. That's how an engine do. :D

If you're going to change valve stem seals there is no practical way to mechanically hold them, at least not without a lot of jockeying. Hence the air. If the piston is at TDC and a valve gets away from you it can't go far. Next time you'll be an expert.

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
I heard you could put rope down the cylinder and top it out to hold the valves up.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Ive heard of putting rope in from the spark plug hole then raise the piston up to tdc that way if you lose air you wont lose your valve. Never done it but seems like a better way then the air. Plus it wont rotate your piston down.

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
Anyway, I got 2 new jack stands to hold the old girl up so I could run it in 4wd to figure out this noise.
Turns out it's the front driveshaft joints.....possibly the ball seat/retainer.
I tore the shaft out, took the first joint out, and realized there's no seat or spring for the center ball.
So I ordered one from NAPA to pick up tomorrow, but I'm dead in the water for now. (weird, they're open from 10am to noon tomorrow and were the only place that had it).
Anyway, I think I'm gonna do a write up.
Oh, and I'll never remove a ujoint without a removal tool EVER again.
These things are slicker than **** with an impact. :D
You must be registered for see images attach

fmxr47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Trans filter and fluid and replaced the wiring harness inside the trans because the plug was leaking around the o-ring and the wire seals, it’s a 4L80E, just cleaned the pan. As soon as the pan dries up some I’ll slap the gasket on and filler-up

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Well, what pushes the piston down when the engine is running? Pressure. That's how an engine do. :D

If you're going to change valve stem seals there is no practical way to mechanically hold them, at least not without a lot of jockeying. Hence the air. If the piston is at TDC and a valve gets away from you it can't go far. Next time you'll be an expert.

On the pressure - right, but having 80 psi (guess - I don't remember) spin an engine with 7 cylinders still with plugs in them surprised us.

When you turn the crank by hand it takes a lot of effort. Oh, well - now we know.:)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84