What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Did you hire out the powder coating or do it yourself? I've heard it's cheaper to buy new wheels than powder coat a set. This true?

Around here places are getting $50-$60 a wheel to sandblast and powdercoat a wheel. I am still not convinced powder coating is that much better than paint. A co-worker had the wheels on his 72 Nova powdercoated and they were starting to rust through when he sold it just 5 years later. He never drove the car but two, maybe three times a year. You can rattle can a wheel for $10 bucks a wheel, with good wheel paint. If the tire installer chips your paint, you can touch it up yourself. But if the tire installer chips your powdercoat, have fun fighting with them to get them to pay for the re-coat. Those are my .02

edit: I know it is coming so I will say this, it is entirely possible he had bad prep work and/or lazy worker do his wheels, etc. I am not saying everything powdercoated is bad. Some guys swear by it, and that's great. I just haven't seen overwhelmingly great proof that powdercoating is 1000x better than paint, as a lot of people seem to like to claim.

Last edited:

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@ramz - Wheels and truck look nice! Up here in MI that would be a cancer riddled truck with duct tape holding it together!

BigRuss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Reece
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe C10
Engine Size
305 5.0L
started shoppin for parts

Free taco.... tomorrow

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
whew if we had emissions id die...
but anyway ive replaced all the lights with leds (well everything but park/sidemarkers for now) gettin hids for christmas along with various interior exterior parts. new window seals... thank god. and puttin in a new exhaust today!! ill have a new truck after christmas. ill post pics soon

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
I was quoted 25$ a wheel to get them powdercoated for my truck.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I was quoted 25$ a wheel to get them powdercoated for my truck.

Is that with them doing all the prep work? If it is I think that is a great price. I have found a couple places at that price, but they don't do prep before the coating. That's the customer's job.

Chevrolado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
V8
I WAS going to go put in the new alternator today.. but along the way my radiator blew up in my daily... So now that will take the place of any truck work I was hoping to accomplish this weekend..

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
I WAS going to go put in the new alternator today.. but along the way my radiator blew up in my daily... So now that will take the place of any truck work I was hoping to accomplish this weekend..

Thats sucks.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
Whent out to roll her over this morning and all she did was click, so i had dad give me a ride to school. Got home and hooked up cables to our 91k20 and to my truck, while also having mine on the charger. She fired right up. So then i took it out back and had a lil fun in our pasture. Then i brought her back around and parked her, then pulled off the ground wire on the alt bracket, took an angle grinder and cleaned it up,bolted it back down. Then i saw that the skrew in post on the battery was loose(****). So i tightened that back up, and now she starts perfect.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

:console:

Chevrolado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
V8
Thats sucks.

Yeah... Its been a pretty lame day. But hey, it's not the end of the world.. :insane:

Whent out to roll her over this morning and all she did was click, so i had dad give me a ride to school. Got home and hooked up cables to our 91k20 and to my truck, while also having mine on the charger. She fired right up. So then i took it out back and had a lil fun in our pasture. Then i brought her back around and parked her, then pulled off the ground wire on the alt bracket, took an angle grinder and cleaned it up,bolted it back down. Then i saw that the skrew in post on the battery was loose(****). So i tightened that back up, and now she starts perfect.
Sweet! Good to hear you got it all worked out. Very nice.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
Sweet! Good to hear you got it all worked out. Very nice.

Thanks, But i didnt get to drive her to school and have fun in the parking lot lol.

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI
Made a 140A alternater fit into a 120A bracket...

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Made a 140A alternater fit into a 120A bracket...

Where can that bracket be found? Caprice cop car or something?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scawdrey