What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Got carb on after rebuild
New gaskets
Started up n went to 2000 rpm
Adjusted fast idle out 1/2 turn
Barely 350 rpm
Won't change with idle/fast idle/or ratio screws
I'm at a loss of the issue

Sticks n stones will break your bones but being a mechanic will kill ya

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Got the motor and tranny back yesterday, my trans guy did me rite and just charged me for the housing and swapped my guts out for free and wrote fragile do not drop on the housing.

We all had a good laugh on me and thats ok, My motor guy found me a oil pan and checked the crank and the oil pump pick up and just charged me a little labor, Gods looking out for me this week.

My motor guy figured out probably what happened, I used some of my old exhaust bolts on the chain to hang the motor and we talked about them being 30 years old and them getting hot and cold everyday and they were probably soft.

Got the motor in and bolted up today(so happy to get that cherry picker off of it and sitting in the truck) rained out tomorrow with 3-6 inches of snow coming in behind it so it looks like this weekend it might be dry enough to get up under it and get this motor project on it's way:)

starter,distributor,plugs and wires,carburetor,hanging pumps and alternator, cooling system and wiring. dreaming about what the comp roller going to sound like, Sweet dreams:)

Glad it all worked out. I hope to get my motor in in the next couple days as well.

Sent from an old rotary telephone.

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
Put some ord greasable busings and new shackles on the front yesterday. The old ones were rotted out prety bad to where the axle was hitting the frame and moving around when stopping. The driver side frame mount bushing was wore through to metal on metal. Drives like a dream now, steers great. no wobbling or any of the problems i was having before.

Attachments

• 20150224_173256.jpg
    20150224_173256.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 20150224_173232.jpg
    20150224_173232.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 93

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Got carb on after rebuild
New gaskets
Started up n went to 2000 rpm
Adjusted fast idle out 1/2 turn
Barely 350 rpm
Won't change with idle/fast idle/or ratio screws
I'm at a loss of the issue

Fast idle screw is when the carb/engine is cold. .. check the other side of the carb where the throttle cable is. ...:shrug:

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Yes I know
Screw and cable both are on driver side
Been -18 outside and not feeling like messing with an eddy carb in the cold

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
awe suit up and get err done lol. next time your out check to make sure the throttle position screw it's making contact with the throttle lever. weird that you can rev the engine but have no change in the tp screw.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Made my wife a little mad, it was too cold to work outside, so I overhauled my 670 carb in the bedroom. I was told there were fumes.

Just tell her it's not any worse than one of her lingering farts and she'll leave you alone about the fumes.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Just got my new motor back from the machine shop and went by and picked my tranny up and got home bolted it together and had it on the hoist lifting it up to get it over the core support and Bam. one of the bolts broke that held the chain to the back of the head and the motor and tranny hit the ground busting the rear of the tranny, oil pan and the fuel pump. What a DAY

Aww **** that sucks. Been there done it, but luckily for me, it was the motor coming out. Trans was junk and not to scare you, but mine also had a broken crank after the drop. It was about 4 feet in the air and dropped straight to the garage floor.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Aww **** that sucks. Been there done it, but luckily for me, it was the motor coming out. Trans was junk and not to scare you, but mine also had a broken crank after the drop. It was about 4 feet in the air and dropped straight to the garage floor.

Lol none of this is comforting for a guy that about to stick a motor this afternoon. It's a looming fear.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Lol none of this is comforting for a guy that about to stick a motor this afternoon. It's a looming fear.

I'm aware, but if he's going to change the oil pan, while it's off, he needs to inspect his crank.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Put some ord greasable busings and new shackles on the front yesterday. The old ones were rotted out prety bad to where the axle was hitting the frame and moving around when stopping. The driver side frame mount bushing was wore through to metal on metal. Drives like a dream now, steers great. no wobbling or any of the problems i was having before.

Nice!

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
awe suit up and get err done lol. next time your out check to make sure the throttle position screw it's making contact with the throttle lever. weird that you can rev the engine but have no change in the tp screw.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

I already spend 6 hours in the cold every morning lol
And I don't rev it
It revved up like it was getting the throttle pushed
But since messing with the ratio screws and idle I can't get it to idle or rev over 500 rpm
It's driving me insane

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm aware, but if he's going to change the oil pan, while it's off, he needs to inspect his crank.

Lol I was talking about me. I'm setting my crate in after work today.

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
Lol I was talking about me. I'm setting my crate in after work today.

I meant to tell you this the other day. I would also fill the oil filter with oil before putting it on the engine. I do this every time I change oil.:) Old School. Taught to me by an old Ryder Truck diesel mechanic. He was a very good general mechanic as well as a diesel mechanic.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I just wanted to make the point, he needs to inspect his crank for being broke. When you drop an engine like that, you can break cast cranks.

Always fill the oil filter for a new motor so it doesn't make so many revolutions before it starts pumping oil. Not a bad idea between oil changes IF and WHEN you can. Sometimes an oil filter is sideways and it's impossible to do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06