What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Glad he is doing better. Really glad he found a DR. That actually cares. My wife has Chrones decease. It took us three DRs to figure out what was wrong with her. In 08 she had a major resection done.... 5 foot if her small intestine, and 2 foot of her large intestines were removed. GI issues are nothing to joke about, it almost killed her.

Tell him Happy Birthday from all of us here. He's in our prayers for a speedy recovery.
Glad to hear she finally found a good Dr and they were able to help some. My Wife also has Crohns. She's had it since she was 4 and they didn't really have any medicine to treat it. She's had three major surgeries when she was 15, 18, and the last one about a year and a half ago. We fought for 10 years to try to get a good doctor to do more than try different meds and doses and they finally agreed to another surgery Dec. 2021. She had gotten down to 65lbs and had to be on TPN(IV nutrition) for 6 weeks before they thought she had gotten enough strength back to do OK with surgery. She's down to ~68cm of small intestine and no colon or large intestine, but once they got the restriction/scar tissue out and all of the active disease, she bounced back very fast. She gained about 20 lbs in the first 6 weeks after the surgery and is now up over 100lbs again and able to be fully active again for the first time in many years.

If your wife wants a contact to talk to, ask questions, or just commiserate with, PM me and I'll give you my wifes contact info to pass along. At this point she has been on every medicine, diet, and treatment they have for it and has literally lived with one of the most severe cases her entire life.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I used the soft aluminum ones that are the compressible soft aluminum gaskets- I think Mr Gasket makes them. They were a breeze, the crappy ones that were on there before leaked like crazy.

Yeah, the aluminum ones I used last were great. I can't remember what brand they were, but they were cheap and came from Summit. Iirc, they were multi layer too.

I pulled the offending copper gasket and sure enough, zero compression. Way too rigid to seal well.
You must be registered for see images attach

Maybe some heat cycles will do it some good. But if not, it's frustrating enough that these will get a bad review on their website.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah, the aluminum ones I used last were great. I can't remember what brand they were, but they were cheap and came from Summit. Iirc, they were multi layer too.

I pulled the offending copper gasket and sure enough, zero compression. Way too rigid to seal well.
You must be registered for see images attach

Maybe some heat cycles will do it some good. But if not, it's frustrating enough that these will get a bad review on their website.

I've run it a bit more. They are starting to seal.

...But even if they do end up sealing, that's just not right, imho. They should seal up right away. Again, I 100% do not endorse the Summit copper header gaskets.

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

...But even if they do end up sealing, that's just not right, imho. They should seal up right away. Again, I 100% do not endorse the Summit copper header gaskets.
Yeah, IIRC even the aluminum ones are supposed to be retightened once or twice with heat cycling, but shouldn’t be that challenging of a task from the get go.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Looks really good on that rig !
Yeah, thanks! Needs new turn signals although they were drilled and screwed into the old grill from the bottom and missing the top tabs. But their OEM still secured them with a screw for now. And scavenged enough clips to secure it.
Needs some new argent headlight trim now. Maybe for Xmas! Lol

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl

You need to get some Remflex gaskets. They aren't that expensive and I've never heard of anyone having a single leak once they switched to them.
https://catalog.remflex.com/

You can sometimes get them at a local parts store or from summit/jegs

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
Well, I've not done alot since having a heart attack on 5-1-23. I have been building my strength back the last few months & now I'm getting back into the shop. I've pulled two engines & going to replace one in the Big 10 this evening or in the morning. I really hate cannibalism but when you have one in great shape not running & one that paint ONLY holds together but runs...you do what you must.

Attachments

• 20230731_163757.jpg
    20230731_163757.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 30
  • 20230731_192645.jpg
    20230731_192645.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 1690917308741223012069914388149.jpg
    1690917308741223012069914388149.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 29

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
Yeah, hadn't talked about it alot. 100% blockage on one artery will take you down. I'm fortunate that I realized a couple minutes after I stopped pushing the mower what was happening. An ER trip & chopper ride to Cape Fear Fayetteville had me straightened out. Cardiologist said no damage on the heart & not a candidate for a second episode. Squares are good but GOD is better!

HS

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Yeah, hadn't talked about it alot. 100% blockage on one artery will take you down. I'm fortunate that I realized a couple minutes after I stopped pushing the mower what was happening. An ER trip & chopper ride to Cape Fear Fayetteville had me straightened out. Cardiologist said no damage on the heart & not a candidate for a second episode. Squares are good but GOD is better!

HS
Great to hear man, many people don't think that fast. Glad you're still with us

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
Great to hear man, many people don't think that fast. Glad you're still with When the HA jumped on me I initially thought something had stung my left arm. I soon realized the numbness in my jaws & the pressure in my chest & had no sign of a sting or bite on my arm. The "tick‐tock" of life's clock went off soon as I realized I was having a heart attack. That was a weird feeling but then knowing that you're dying is another feeling also. Thank GOD for people mechanics that can give stints & medicine!

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
Great to hear man, many people don't think that fast. Glad you're still with us
The cardiologist said the same. I know my 50 year old body tho! I've used & worked this thing literally my whole life. I knew when that HA was happening that something was different. Aches & pains from heavy lifting & working were definitely different than the pain causes by that HA! It made my left arm hurt to the point of me almost crying!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tweeter68