What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
First, you need a good parts guy. All the part houses can get them, but will they go to the trouble for cheap part?

Advantage I have working on a fleet, we buy lots of parts = lots of money. So they will take the time to help. Do you have a NAPA store near you?

If you can't get one, give me the measurement from the good side, and I'll get you one.
Yeah I have a Napa I have dealt with for 20 years, and there are still a couple of guys I deal with regularly. I'll try them Monday. Thanks

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
The last two days have been wood haul days. Go to the site cut up the logs, load and haul. So today was cleanup day. A wash, wax, and interior cleanup.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Almost forgot. We have some hot weather coming up so I finally got around to installing an idle kicker on the carb. Former owner installed a Edelbrock and I've had an idle solenoid for it for a couple years now. Without it, it idles so low with the A/C on that it doesn't blow very cold. It's not much a problem normally, but we are forecasted to be in the mid-90's and if I get stuck in traffic that'll be helpful.

Jimbarry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Well, I was able to find a spot under an oak tree to rent for my dually. No more crying in the beer. It's within ten minutes of my house and I can work on it there. Most places around here won't let you do even minor stuff. First thing I noticed when I drove it there was that it was running rich, idling rough and there was an odd sound coming from the passenger side of the engine. I tried to dial in the choke (it never was right after the rebuild) and that helped a little. After about an hour of fiddling, I got underneath and found that the linkage from the exhaust flapper had come off and the flapper was mostly closed. From what I've read that reroutes the exhaust through openings to the other side. As soon as I connected it the engine smoothed out and no more exhaust smell. Does this do any harm the engine? I don't think it would but not familiar with having one stuck. I drove it about 60 miles to get it here so not that far and temp and oil pressure were ok. I plan to pull the plugs and do a compression test soon but it's damn hot right now and I want to take it and wash and wax it. Also, I'm thinking that the actuator is spring loaded to open the valve not, close it. Does anyone know for sure?
I tried to up load a video of it running with restricted and with it open but no dice. What's the secret handshake for videos?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Well, I was able to find a spot under an oak tree to rent for my dually. No more crying in the beer. It's within ten minutes of my house and I can work on it there. Most places around here won't let you do even minor stuff. First thing I noticed when I drove it there was that it was running rich, idling rough and there was an odd sound coming from the passenger side of the engine. I tried to dial in the choke (it never was right after the rebuild) and that helped a little. After about an hour of fiddling, I got underneath and found that the linkage from the exhaust flapper had come off and the flapper was mostly closed. From what I've read that reroutes the exhaust through openings to the other side. As soon as I connected it the engine smoothed out and no more exhaust smell. Does this do any harm the engine? I don't think it would but not familiar with having one stuck. I drove it about 60 miles to get it here so not that far and temp and oil pressure were ok. I plan to pull the plugs and do a compression test soon but it's damn hot right now and I want to take it and wash and wax it. Also, I'm thinking that the actuator is spring loaded to open the valve not, close it. Does anyone know for sure?
I tried to up load a video of it running with restricted and with it open but no dice. What's the secret handshake for videos?
Video. What I do is upload it to youtube as a non-public link only video, so it can't be found on youtube you can only access it from the link. Then link the video in your text that's the little thing about the text box that looks like to chainlinks.

Yes running an engine long term with the heat riser closed is bad for it. All that heat can lead to overheating, percolating and vapor locking and plenty more. Bottom line the heat riser needs to function properly.

Jimbarry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Video. What I do is upload it to youtube as a non-public link only video, so it can't be found on youtube you can only access it from the link. Then link the video in your text that's the little thing about the text box that looks like to chainlinks.

Yes running an engine long term with the heat riser closed is bad for it. All that heat can lead to overheating,
percolating and vapor locking and plenty more. Bottom line the heat riser needs to function properly.

Gonna try this, this is with the flapper open
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Jimbarry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size

Yes running an engine long term with the heat riser closed is bad for it. All that heat can lead to overheating, percolating and vapor locking and plenty more. Bottom line the heat riser needs to function properly.

This is with the flapper restricting the exhaust.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Jimbarry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Ok you need to log on to your youtube account and change the video permission to public. As it is private right now it can''t be seen by us.
Thanks! I think it's public now!+

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Thanks! I think it's public now!+
Sorry I had to do some stuff outside and actually I still am so I cant watch the video at the moment but I wanted to let you know that i can see both and play them just fine now. I'm sure someone will advise you on them shortly.

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
There's a couple a thousands little cars here in my area that need exhaust flappers. Or give us permission to shoot the drivers when they come by the house after 10 PM.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Dug into the 14 bolt a bit more today...I was a little shocked when I removed the diff cover...

Attachments

• 20220725_134259.jpg
    20220725_134259.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 20220725_151414.jpg
    20220725_151414.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 20220725_151407.jpg
    20220725_151407.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 54

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
After about 2 hours of cleaning with a wire brush...I think this is going to be fine...

Attachments

• 20220725_151400.jpg
    20220725_151400.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 38

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade