what drop kit or combination of lowering parts are y'all using?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
My thoughts exactly, that's why I don't like the DJM or any that has a drop pocket, I'm going with a spindle and coil for the drop.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Guys the lower a arm is already the lowest part of the suspension on these trucks. That dropped lower arm drops the spring pocket down and makes an already bad problem worse. Avoid dropped lower arms at all costs, they just aren't worth the trade off when you can get the same drop from spindles an a cut coil. Just my opinion though

Hey opinions count! That's why I asked what everyone is doing. That way in the future people may read this thread, or not, and will hopefully have an idea of what to stick with and what to avoid.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Ok guys, I think maybe I found some decent upper CA's, you can send them a question about the part so I asked them if they were USA made, they said they were USA made and use Spicer ball joints and OEM crosshafts. They're supposed to have Caster built into them and longer to eliminate the big stack of shims to set the Camber. Now, anybody have any experience with these CA's and Spicer ball joints??, would love to hear any opinions on these good or bad..

https://www.performanceonline.com/1973-87-Chevy-C10-Truck-Tubular-Upper-Control-Arms/

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Ok guys, I think maybe I found some decent upper CA's, you can send them a question about the part so I asked them if they were USA made, they said they were USA made and use Spicer ball joints and OEM crosshafts. They're supposed to have Caster built into them and longer to eliminate the big stack of shims to set the Camber. Now, anybody have any experience with these CA's and Spicer ball joints??, would love to hear any opinions on these good or bad..

https://www.performanceonline.com/1973-87-Chevy-C10-Truck-Tubular-Upper-Control-Arms/

I found these as well. Sent them a message about where they're made and same response American steel in an American building. Well I dug a little deeper around the Internet for reviews on both products and conpany. Turns out the guys that ran them on their chevelles and nova's were not impressed with they CAs. A couple of people even said they're outsourced from overseas that they had found the exact same CA on eBay, price and everything, but with a different sticker and brand and it was from China.

Which sucks because yeah they're cheaper than most out there and I was about to order a set when my gut told me to hold off and skip on them. You get what you pay for and to get American it costs more but it's worth it in my eyes. So back to the piggy bank with loose change and scraping up some extra cash for a set of CPP's unless someone else can weigh in on POL's control arms.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Well crap that sucks, thanks for the info much appreciated, and yep, you get what you pay for. Made up my mind on the lowers though I will be using CPP, still not comfortable with their uppers though, but I have other issues(bent frame)to take care of so I have time to do more searching..

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
What's got you in the air with CPP uppers? The bolts bearing a lot of weight? Seems that it should be spread out with the design. I've found good things said about theirs. I get the fact too you can mix and match lowering parts but i prefer to stay with the same company on lower and upper CAs. They're designed to work with one another and I'm afraid having different uppers and lowers might throw something off.

I plan on CPP upper/lower CA, McGaughys 2.5 drop spindles for HD brakes, McGaughys flip kit and unsure so far on a 2" drop spring.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yeah, the fact the ball joints are on the bottom kinda bugs me, although I haven't heard anything bad about them either, wonder if anyone have tried putting them on top???... So far I haven't heard any negatives about mix and match on upper and lowers, but who knows??..

I was thinking WC 2.5 spindles and 1" coils, flip kit was already on the truck when I got it so I'm good to go there, only thing I'm changing is the leafs it had the 56" way too stiff, gonna change to 52" 3/4 leafs should soften it up some..

morrow07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
1977 - 1989
Truck Model
Cheyenne - V2500
Engine Size
406 - 350
You must be registered for see images

I had the same reservations that you are having before I bought these control arms. Rest assured, I beat the living crap out of this truck. When its safe or when I'm tracking, I will take corners at very high rate of speed that these trucks were never designed to do. So far they've held up great. Knock on wood lol I call it trial by fire and hopefully I don't get burned[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

morrow07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
1977 - 1989
Truck Model
Cheyenne - V2500
Engine Size
406 - 350
Didn't realize that picture posted upside down

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Well, that inspiring thanks for the info, maybe I worry for nothing,lol.. What coils and sway bar you using??..

You must be registered for see images attach

morrow07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
1977 - 1989
Truck Model
Cheyenne - V2500
Engine Size
406 - 350
Belltech 2" coils, with 18 way single adjustable QA1's, and a Belltech 1 3/8" bar that wasn't meant for the cpp lowers, but I made work.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Didn't realize that picture posted upside down

Are these CPP control arms? Beautiful setup btw.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Belltech 2" coils, with 18 way single adjustable QA1's, and a Belltech 1 3/8" bar that wasn't meant for the cpp lowers, but I made work.

Ah ok, was wondering about the sway bar, haven't seen one like that before, nice setup..:cheers:

morrow07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
1977 - 1989
Truck Model
Cheyenne - V2500
Engine Size
406 - 350
Are these CPP control arms? Beautiful setup btw.
Yes sir. Very pleased with the build quality.

morrow07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
1977 - 1989
Truck Model
Cheyenne - V2500
Engine Size
406 - 350
Ah ok, was wondering about the sway bar, haven't seen one like that before, nice setup..:cheers:
I bought the bar about a year before the control arms. Hadn't planned on changing them, but then I got bug up my ass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
90sBurb