what drop kit or combination of lowering parts are y'all using?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
I've been looking all over the interweb and cannot decide on a specific kit or combination of lowering parts. Also I cannot seem to find a justified answer on how low is too low for long tube headers. So I've come to my trusty forum for answers....I am contemplating the 4.5/6 kit from LMC but man is it costly. Only advantage is their in my backyard pretty much.

What's everyone running on their lowered squares? How long have you had your square lowered? How does it handle and ride? Are you running long tubes, shorties or mid headers?

I am very close to pulling the front clip, cab and bed off which will make the install of the lowering components much easier. I would like to get everyone's opinion on what parts they are running and why you chose them over the others.

northeimcustom

Reaction score
First Name
northeimcustom
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I think you could probably piece a lowering kit together for cheaper than the lmc route. I would recommend doing a drop spindle and some coils and a flip kit in the back. And maybe some lowering shackles too.

Your never going to get a real awesome ride quality but when you go lower but this setup was bad for me.

When i did my exhaust i had planned to be on air someday so i have a mid length chevelle or nova header that does not go below the frame. Long tubes would definitely be out of the question

Last edited:

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Yeah even with individual parts through LMC it still equals the same amount just minus 15¢

I figured the ride quality will suffer but just do not want it to be terrible.

Well if I ever went to bags,like my buddy wants me to, I'd defiantly go shorter headers. I just want to know if people that are running 4/6 drop if they can clear long tubes. My headers do not stick down past the side gas tanks and they look like the would clear if lowered that much.

SkinnyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
G
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
350/TH350
This is a 2x4 on edge, the headers might be Flowtech.

You must be registered for see images attach

I'm not sure what the drop is, but it's 3" Belltech spindles, and about a coil and a half cut off 1-ton springs. The top of the fender edge is about 28 inches to the ground, maybe less. 235/70R15 tires up front. The back is a flip kit, and the fender edge is also 28 off the ground, maybe less.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I have a 5-7 drop with long tube headers. In the front, 2" drop spindles, 3" drop coils, out back...flip kit, and drop shackles (I also installed a mini notch). As far as the ride is concerned, it rides as smooth as can be expected for a drop kit. I dont bottom out harshly, due to having polyurethane bumpstops front and rear. I will be bagging the truck soon l my headers currently are approximately 4" from the pavement. My main concern after bagging will be the dual tanks as the brackets will rub before the header collectors will. Everything lmc sells costs more than the competition. You would be better off buying the parts needed for the drop seperately from other sources...better yet pick up a street truck magazine issue and there are drop kits advertised all over the place. Whatever kit you install, pick up a good set of nitrogen charged drop shocks. They DO make a difference. Stock shocks with the small shaft size won't handle well and WILL compromise the ride.

Last edited:

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Imo don't spend the money on a "drop kit" your getting stuff you don't necessarily need. Get a good 2.5" drop spindle, cut one coil off the stock springs while it's out. Get a flip kit for the rear with shock extenders and a good set of stock shocks. That's what's on mine an it rides great. I can't answer the header question as I have the 3/4 Chevelle already.

You must be registered for see images attach

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
That's a sick looking ride! Well I've seen some people just having the flip kit in the rear with out C-notching the frame? Is that absolutely necessary with a flip kit? Or can you get away with out doing it on a flip kit?

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Mine has a flip kit and there's 3" between the housing and the frame, PO put a notch in for no reason at all..

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Mine has a flip kit and there's 3" between the housing and the frame, PO put a notch in for no reason at all..

And there's no way to tell if you have clearance issues since it's already notched.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
And there's no way to tell if you have clearance issues since it's already notched.
There's 3" clearance, unless you load the truck down a lot should never have any issues.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Okay good to know. I think this trucks hauling junk in the bed days are over. Just want to be clear if I need to notch the frame with just a flip kit in the rear. Also I have 3/4t leafs in the rear I may plan on keeping. Might pull a trailer here and there too.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I'm moving my hangers up 4" so I can use the 3/4 leafs to soften the ride some, not hauling anything in this truck, got the beater for that..

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
What's your drop then?
Shouldn't change I don't think, don't actually know the drop in the back I got it this way, it had 3" WC coils in the front that's it, but with a 27" tire it sits perfect, just about like "bluex",s truck.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Shouldn't change I don't think, don't actually know the drop in the back I got it this way, it had 3" WC coils in the front that's it, but with a 27" tire it sits perfect, just about like "bluex",s truck.

Right on. I have 255/60r15 BFGoodies that are 27.05 tall. By chance you have any pictures?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84