What did you pay for a square

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old60Driver

1983 K20 Silverado
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
Bit of a long story, but I figured I'd share.

I met my wife back in '11, and went to meet her folks. They had this '83 K20 that they used here and there on their property, but she really only got run once a year when they used it for dump runs. The rest of the time, she was open barn. Her dad had bought it new in '83, and my wife actually learned how to drive in that truck. Every time I'd go up there, I'd try to get her running right, but never had enough time or my tools. Her dad passed a few years back, and on one of our checkup trips, her momma asked me to take a look at 'Blue', and see if I could figure out why she wouldn't start, and why she was leaking oil. We walked out, and man, it was ugly. Maybe an eight foot diameter of fluids had collected around that truck. Engine oil, transmission fluid, power steering, brakes. Everything. Only thing that was solid was the cooling system. Told her I was pretty sure I could get her running okay, and that while I could fix it, I'd have to come back, as they don't have any real tools up there. She told me she was just going to take it to the dealership to get it back up to speed. I obviously talked her out of that. She didn't really drive the truck at all, and for her, the repair cost wouldn't have made sense.

Then she says, I kid you not, "Well, I'll just call Mike". I ask who that is, and she says that it's the guy that owns the local junkyard, and that he probably wouldn't charge more than $500 to haul her off.
And that was the day I took ownership of my first square body. She wouldn't take any money for her (I still try though lol). So I guess I paid zero? lol

Took me a bit, but she's runny pretty fine these days!!

Attachments

• 20210429_095854.jpg
    20210429_095854.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210523_131148 (1).jpg
    20210523_131148 (1).jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210530_111101.jpg
    20210530_111101.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 16

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size

I met my wife back in '11, and went to meet her folks. They had this '83 K20 that they used here and there on their property, but she really only got run once a year when they used it for dump runs. The rest of the time, she was open barn. Her dad had bought it new in '83, and my wife actually learned how to drive in that truck. Every time I'd go up there, I'd try to get her running right, but never had enough time or my tools. Her dad passed a few years back, and on one of our checkup trips, her momma asked me to take a look at 'Blue', and see if I could figure out why she wouldn't start, and why she was leaking oil. We walked out, and man, it was ugly. Maybe an eight foot diameter of fluids had collected around that truck. Engine oil, transmission fluid, power steering, brakes. Everything. Only thing that was solid was the cooling system. Told her I was pretty sure I could get her running okay, and that while I could fix it, I'd have to come back, as they don't have any real tools up there. She told me she was just going to take it to the dealership to get it back up to speed. I obviously talked her out of that. She didn't really drive the truck at all, and for her, the repair cost wouldn't have made sense.

Then she says, I kid you not, "Well, I'll just call Mike". I ask who that is, and she says that it's the guy that owns the local junkyard, and that he probably wouldn't charge more than $500 to haul her off.
And that was the day I took ownership of my first square body. She wouldn't take any money for her (I still try though lol). So I guess I paid zero? lol

Hell yea!! Great save! I love the logo on it too.

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size

You definitely lucked-out with that one for sure. Looks like a nice clean, straight truck!

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I found mine on CL listed for $3,200. I had been looking for a Square for awhile and I liked the fact that it was a K20(so I thought it was called that!) I called and offered the guy $2,800 and said he'd take it but another guy offered him the same and was supposed to come look at it, I showed up first and drove it home. 105k original, 350 TBI w/TH400 & manual hubs. It was a bit crusty but I saw through the grime & a little rust, as it came with a pair of red rust-free box sides with the deal. These were the pics on CL that I saw:
You must be registered for see images attach

After I got 'em home, spent about $15 at the high-pressure car wash & threw on some new shoes!

Attachments

• '87K2500-3.jpg
    '87K2500-3.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 11

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
It came with a beat-up 5th wheel tailgate, so I found a pretty nice one on CL in California, had it shipped via Fastenal.

Bought brand new shoes, installed a 2" Add-A Leaf in the front, stuck on the fender emblem & a nice used door molding with some 3M & Viola!

Restored a nice tailgate band & emblem, drilled some holes and installed it along with a new Westin bumper.

Added nice bone yard front bumper, a nice pair of used bumperettes, aftermarket grille & headlight bezels from Ebay, along with a NOS Dealership showroom floor display license plate.

I've done a ton of other things trying to get this 'ole fella whipped into shape, and I have a long way to go! This years goals: Hook up & charge factory A/C, replace busted cruise control vac module & linkage and get cruise working! Install new seat cover, carpet & sill plates. It NEVER ends!

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Big ten brothers! Nice!
Something about Big 10s or even better Heavy Halfs….
Having a hard time not makin this one a new resident in the driveway!
If this truck was closer and/or a GMC story might be different.
Actually surprised it’s not sold, although the guy told me he was waffling on even selling it.

I’ve missed a couple cherry ones in the last few years because I was being too cheap. And one like new one that I also should’ve just ponied up the cash for.
Will see what happens here….

Disco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 "Big 10"
Engine Size
350 4-bolt

Great story! Glad you were able to save it!

Disco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 "Big 10"
Engine Size
350 4-bolt
@mtbadbob I chuckled at the polar differences in our tastes.
You went through the work of drilling holes to put the tailgate band back on. My first mod to my truck was to remove it and put it in my shed.
I might consider one of those narrow filler bands with “Chevrolet” stamped in the center, but I’ll probably never put that chunky thing back on. I personally like the indented design with the embossed and centered badging.
The asymmetrical placement of the badge and the fact that it’s literally badge trim on top of body trim covering stamped badging all makes my OCD itch. Lol

Nice truck, though!

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Actually surprised it’s not sold, although the guy told me he was waffling on even selling it.

I’ve missed a couple cherry ones in the last few years because I was being too cheap. And one like new one that I also should’ve just ponied up the cash for.
Same as mine except the roof!

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Same model years, even!
Mine’s a 78 Silverado (sans a/c) short bed with dual tanks, a 350, and a Muncie 4 speed. Yours?
78 silverado also. Ac, cruise, inside hood release, 350/th350, dual tanks long bed

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size

Wheres that puppy located?

Disco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 "Big 10"
Engine Size
350 4-bolt
78 silverado also. Ac, cruise, inside hood release, 350/th350, dual tanks long bed
I’ve been told my truck is a bit of an odd, rare bird. I don’t know how accurate that is, but I haven’t seen many like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS