What brand of stereo equipment do you like best?

What brand of stereo equipment do you like best?

• Sony

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Pioneer

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Kenwood

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Alpine

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • JVC

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Other

Votes: 7 13.5%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
i buy the radios that came in 86-87 model gmc/chevy trucks and install them. the sound good and i dont have to hack the dash.

for speakers i usually just purchase a set of pioneer 6x9 speakers from walmart and install them behind the seats in the cab corners

clovis_ca

Reaction score
First Name
Dale
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Stepside
Engine Size
86-87 radios

i buy the radios that came in 86-87 model gmc/chevy trucks and install them. the sound good and i dont have to hack the dash.

for speakers i usually just purchase a set of pioneer 6x9 speakers from walmart and install them behind the seats in the cab corners

So where do you find those 86-87 radios?....I've looked quite a bit and can't seem to find any via web searching, ebay or craigslist.

gilbertjr04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gilbert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
i have always liked Kenwood. Never had a problem with those stereo decks. The sound quality is great!!

gilbertjr04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gilbert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
So where do you find those 86-87 radios?....I've looked quite a bit and can't seem to find any via web searching, ebay or craigslist.

You can actually still find some of those 1980's stereos at the Fresno Swap Meet on Sundays or the Selma Flea Market also on Sundays.

Another place you could find a radio like that is at the wrecking yards. Youd be surprised you can get lucky sometimes and will find good stuff at the Auto and Truck wrecking yards. There is a lot of wrecking yards in Fresno!

DLowe402

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Any suggestions?

OK, so I have been looking for a stereo that I can put in my 84 c20 that will use the original space without hacking it up. I would also like to upgrade to newer tech and have the option of using my iPhone for tunes and such. It seems like there is either high end or cheap crap. There is a Pyle that runs under $40 but I have read bad reviews about it. Then there is the other end of the spectrum at almost $300 for the resto classic remakes with upgrades. I have looked around quite a bit and can't find a middle of the road option. Don't care if it looks original but I definitely am not going to hack up the dash so I might just have to go the cheap route and replace every year or so as I really can't justify $300 for a unit. Not building a show truck here...Anybody got any other suggestions?

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
OK, so I have been looking for a stereo that I can put in my 84 c20 that will use the original space without hacking it up. I would also like to upgrade to newer tech and have the option of using my iPhone for tunes and such. It seems like there is either high end or cheap crap. There is a Pyle that runs under $40 but I have read bad reviews about it. Then there is the other end of the spectrum at almost $300 for the resto classic remakes with upgrades. I have looked around quite a bit and can't find a middle of the road option. Don't care if it looks original but I definitely am not going to hack up the dash so I might just have to go the cheap route and replace every year or so as I really can't justify $300 for a unit. Not building a show truck here...Anybody got any other suggestions?

I have this in my truck it has a input for a iPod or other stuff and it was easy to install no hacking required this radio sounds good too and seems like a good quality unit beats the pyle brand hands down http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...-receiver/_/N-2628?itemIdentifier=219597_0_0_

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That actually does look like a good cheap alternative, and not have to hack up you dash. As long as it has pre outs for an amp, and an input jack for an MP3 player, hell you have all you actually have to have to sound good and play all your favorite music. Being cassetter player, theives probably won't be interested in it.

DLowe402

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
That is perfect and they carry it in my local store! Awesome! I don't need to rattle the windows in this thing, just a little cruisin music.

Glad i could help man, now just get some cheap speakers and mount them in the cab corner pockets and your set.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Why Cheap Speakers? That little cheap ass stereo has the potentional to throw a little thump. It has a set of pre amp outs. Pre Amp out to a 250 watt amp for some 8 or 10 inch box speakers behind the seat that are hidden from view. Some Triway 6in door speakers for some midrange and tweeter sound, and plug your MP3 player into the aux jack to play all your CD music and you have a good sounding system that thieves don't know about and don't have to butcher your dash. I noticed it doesn't have memorized stations which kind of sucks, but I usually only listen to 2 different stations in the truck anyway, and even then I don't change them but maybe once a week when my mood for music type chances.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Check out the SUB WOOFERS on t his system. woof woof !!!

You must be registered for see images

muditup

Reaction score
First Name
Statik
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Pioneer and Kenwood head units, Polk or JBL for speakers

78shortandwide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I like Pioneer head units for their tunability. Alpine does not have that great of tunability, and most alpine head units dont have a cd slot you have to use your mp3 player or a flash drive. As far as subwoofers go i had 2 alpine type R 12" subs in my car for about 3 years never had a problem with them.. I sold them for 1 12" pioneer sup that lasted about 2 months, store exchanged it and the second 1 didnt last any longer. The saleman told me he never had any of them burn up, and i wasnt even running it at full power. As far as mids and tweets i have alpine 6 1/4" components front and back in my car, and they work great. If you want the best sound quality you should run all your speakers off an amp, cause most head units dont put out enough watts to run most quality speakers.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
I like Pioneer head units for their tunability. Alpine does not have that great of tunability, and most alpine head units dont have a cd slot you have to use your mp3 player or a flash drive. As far as subwoofers go i had 2 alpine type R 12" subs in my car for about 3 years never had a problem with them.. I sold them for 1 12" pioneer sup that lasted about 2 months, store exchanged it and the second 1 didnt last any longer. The saleman told me he never had any of them burn up, and i wasnt even running it at full power. As far as mids and tweets i have alpine 6 1/4" components front and back in my car, and they work great. If you want the best sound quality you should run all your speakers off an amp, cause most head units dont put out enough watts to run most quality speakers.

i agree pioneer makes good HUs. however head units not having enough power? not so. if a speaker has a 90 db sensitivity a HU with only 15 watts puts out just shy of 102 db. if it had 100 watts it would put out less than 9 db more than that. now using an amp for quality speakers does have an effect on sound quality. most people dont realize but the average listener only uses about ONE watt per speaker in most scenarios. i got all my speakers (except subs) on the hu for now, and let me tell you they can make ears bleed at full volume.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef