What are you guys using for EFI fuel pressure testers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ellie Niner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
LE9 305
I'm looking for a fuel pressure tester that won't sh¡t the bed the first or second time I try to use it... I have gone through a couple of Harbor Freight gauges, one of which the gauge started filling with fuel after being pressurized for a few minutes (saw someone else here mention that problem with their crappy HF kit, too). I also need a hose at least 3 feet long to be able to monitor fuel pressure from the driver's seat while starting and driving the vehicle, as it's doing some weird stuff. I presume you buy the longer line separately, and it comes with the fittings pressed on like the short one that's included in most fuel pressure tester kits? It looks like you generally use adapters for the various test fittings used by different car manufacturers?

Looking online, I'm seeing a lot of stuff with weird brand names that sound very Chinese-y, and might be the same Hazard Fraught dreck in a different colored box. I don't need anything professional grade; it just needs to work.

Feel a bit dumb asking these questions... but I just don't work on very many fuel injected vehicles. We have a 1989 Buick Electra sedan, a 1991 Lumina sedan, and a couple of Mercury Grand Mistakes with Modular V8's in the extended family pool- everything else is carbureted.

Ellie Niner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
LE9 305
Mine is a Matco. Tried a cheap knock off first, it leaked. Kind of expensive for home use.
It does adapt to many styles but not all. Used it almost daily, worked fine.

Right on. Thanks for the info. That one's gonna be a bit out of my price range, and it's a tool that's probably only going to see use a couple of times a year. Hoping to find something that slots in between the Chinesium toys and full on professional.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Mine is snap on,needed one for one time home use,mine was at work in my box and the shop was locked up.1 time use I figured HF would do. Nope first try the gauge filled with fuel. Name brand tools I ve actually had good luck finding gently used good tools on Ebay. I'll buy used quality before new junk anyday. 3ft hose on one is one I can't help you with I've always done a pressure test and a volume test in the bay and that's always been enough. Are you doing a volume test?

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've got a Snap-On pressure tester that was purchased 15+ years ago. I'm sure it was expensive, but it still works now. The hose on it is 5 or 6 feet long too.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I've got a Snap-On pressure tester that was purchased 15+ years ago. I'm sure it was expensive, but it still works now. The hose on it is 5 or 6 feet long too.
You ****** you just made me think mine is at least 20 or 25 years old. Damnit you made me feel old.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You ****** you just made me think mine is at least 20 or 25 years old. Damnit you made me feel old.

Lol. Mine could be 20 years old, I don't remember exactly when I got it. Does that help or hurt more :)

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I just rent the kit from Autozone or Oreilly's if I need to look at something that doesn't have a fuel test port. If it has a test port I usually just use a cheapo tire pressure gauge, since I'm really only interested in whether it builds up correctly and holds in the general area. My square with the L29 has it's own fuel pressure gauge plumbed on the adjustable regulator mounted over the drivers side valve cover, so no extra test equipment necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes