What are these wires for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
C10 long bed (Frankenstein truck)
Engine Size
Removing all the wiring from my truck in preparation for a rewire...

Being as careful as I can, but well... :banghead:

Trying to remove a plug from the wiper/washer and broke a connecting tab on the pump...

LMC wants a fortune for a new pump... $75

Hoping maybe there's a way that I can use a generic pump or some other easy way out...

There are three plugs (with two or three wires each)... Can anyone tell me what each set of wires are for? I am thinking the one all the way on the bottom on the motor are for the motor itself...

The one I marked with a red arrow is the one I broke the spade lug off of...

Hoping that is power to the pump and a stand alone pump can be used, or at the very least, the wipers will still work if that connection is broken...

attachment.php

Attachments

• 73-Chevy-C10-Rewire-16.jpg
    73-Chevy-C10-Rewire-16.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 291

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
if your at a loss and it comes down to having to replace it, I'd open it up and see if you can put another tab on it, or hell solder a wire in it's place. Not sure how easy that is to open up.

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That entire washer motor and pump is $40-50 at any parts store for 100% new.

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Btw that's a 78-83 style wiper motor-not 73.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
That is the ground connection for the washer pump.

IDK what pump you are trying to order but the one you have installed is for some applications up to 1984. You don't need a 1973 model.

Search using part no. 22029595. Here is one (NOS) for $44 and he'll accept a reasonable offer. I bet you'd get it for $35 - and that's NOS AC Delco. The layout of the park switch/pump plug sockets on the casing is a bit different but they are the same shape/size:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Wiper-Mo...ash=item211ffc4840:g:jokAAOSwTglYmTjt&vxp=mtr

You must be registered for see images attach

If you want to try and fix yours, be aware that the plastic cover over the pump piston is only held on by that little pin in the middle:

I can usually pop the hole in the cover off the pin without damaging the plastic - a little heat makes it easier and less prone to damage.

Last edited:

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
That entire washer motor and pump is $40-50 at any parts store for 100% new.
Please send me a link to one of those. Oh, whoops, just found one for $50.99 at O"Reilly Auto.

Just FYI I bought two rebuilt ones (different brands) but both had problems, and each was different than the pump I have! With those kinds of odds, I'm not sure I'd buy one anywhere but locally in case it needs to be returned.

Last edited:

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
if your at a loss and it comes down to having to replace it, I'd open it up and see if you can put another tab on it, or hell solder a wire in it's place. Not sure how easy that is to open up.

I thought about that as a last resort, but such operations usually don't so well.. Once in a while they do, but it is the exception and not the rule...

But yeah, I'm gonna try that if it comes down to it..

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
That is the ground connection for the washer pump.

IDK what pump you are trying to order but the one you have installed is for some applications up to 1984. You don't need a 1973 model.

Search using part no. 22029595. Here is one (NOS) for $44 and he'll accept a reasonable offer. I bet you'd get it for $35 - and that's NOS AC Delco. The layout of the park switch/pump plug sockets on the casing is a bit different but they are the same shape/size:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Wiper-Mo...on there that doesn't cost an arm and a leg..

Last edited:

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I thought about that as a last resort, but such operations usually don't so well.. Once in a while they do, but it is the exception and not the rule...

But yeah, I'm gonna try that if it comes down to it..

Or if you do replace it, at least take it apart to see how it works/learn and possibly fix it and have a spare.

We had something at work that we were junking. I opened the door on it, and I'll be damned......it's got hinges on it that I can use for my tail light fuel door.

LOL I love tearing stuff apart w/o worrying about fixing it :cheers:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xXmutantXx