What’s IT Worth? (Post all “what’s it worth threads here)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finkaire

Finkaire
Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado c10
Engine Size
Guy pulls up next to me in a new Silverado today, rolls down his window and says “how much”. So I answer the
don’t want to sell it price, “50k“. He is “in” a 50k dollar truck, I would be hard pressed to trade strait across. Food for thought…what’s your truck worth to you!

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Guy pulls up next to me in a new Silverado today, rolls down his window and says “how much”. So I answer the
don’t want to sell it price, “50k“. He is “in” a 50k dollar truck, I would be hard pressed to trade strait across. Food for thought…what’s your truck worth to you!
not for sale, but because I don’t need the cash. If I did, I’d do whatever I had to do. I’m fortunate enough that I don’t think that day would ever come.

I have other vehicles I’d sell first if I was hard up, though. Easy to say when you have a dozen vehicles and half of them are easily replaceable…

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
What’s an original Beau James worth?
This is the worst side. Other side ain’t even banged up.
Running, driving all original all there, decent interior hard parts IE dash/radio/door panels/steering wheel etc look very serviceable.
You must be registered for see images attach

I have no idea. I've never even come across a Beau James truck yet. My guess would be normal value for the location, plus 15%?

Doesn't matter what it is, my response to "how much" is always "ain't for sale".

Finkaire

Finkaire
Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado c10
Engine Size
Our trucks are trucks and will always be tangible

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have no idea. I've never even come across a Beau James truck yet. My guess would be normal value for the location, plus 15%?

Ya kinda what I was thinking.
I don’t even personally like the BJ and GJ GMCs. And would be hard pressed to keep those hideous bed rails (unlike the “normal” ones which look pretty classy) if I repainted one.
And I definitely would not do the secondary color hood and I’d make the silver stripe/roof white.
So to me it’s only a well optioned big block half ton.
But anyway…rambling

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
My one buddy just sold his BJ. It was anything special, he has done minior things to it over the years. Put it up for sale for 15.500. Had 60 people call, 35 look at it. Had 8 people tell him they aren't worth anything "because it's a longbed" Had a gentleman call from up state New York and ask was it still available. One of his brothers came and looked at for him, and told him it was clean, and all there. He paid him 16K via paypal. He said he felt like he was stealing the truck at 15,500. The extra 500 was to rent the garage space until his brother could get over to pick it up. It really depends on how bad of shape it's in.

mikeoverland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250/I6
Hello all,
I have the ability to buy a saginaw 3 speed gear box with an overdrive rear tail house extension for 150$ obo. I just put a transmission into my truck but overdrive for 150$ sounds like a good deal. Does anyone have any experience with the od tail shaft conversion on a saginaw 3 speed? good? bad? meh? worth more than 150$? worth less than 150$?

please let me know

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I have no experience with them, but that's only because I have never found one. I sure as heck would be willing to pay 150 for an overdrive. Does it shift electrically?

I believe @DoubleDingo and probably @idahovette know something about them.

mcarlo86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Hello all,
I have the ability to buy a saginaw 3 speed gear box with an overdrive rear tail house extension for 150$ obo. I just put a transmission into my truck but overdrive for 150$ sounds like a good deal. Does anyone have any experience with the od tail shaft conversion on a saginaw 3 speed? good? bad? meh? worth more than 150$? worth less than 150$?

please let me know

Mike
The saginaw 3 speed OD is more desirable than the muncie 3 speed OD because it has a synchronized 1st gear I believe. That is probably a good buy if the solenoid that engages the OD works. I have a muncie 3 speed OD that I would be willing to sell, but I'm a LONG ways away from TX. haha

Hurst made a special pickup floor shifter for those transmissions back in the 70's, but are not available anymore. If a guy came across one of those shifters, they are probably worth more than the transmission to the right person!

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
not for sale, but because I don’t need the cash. If I did, I’d do whatever I had to do. I’m fortunate enough that I don’t think that day would ever come.

I have other vehicles I’d sell first if I was hard up, though. Easy to say when you have a dozen vehicles and half of them are easily replaceable…
I'm in the same boat. Not for sale, why would I want to start over....

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350
Hello all,

please let me know

Mike
Make sure it has the kick down switch and linkage. Almost harder to find than the trans.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Make sure it has the kick down switch and linkage. Almost harder to find than the trans.
It can work without the kickdown switch, but I have heard it's a nice system when it's whole. On mine, it wasn't, so I have no experience with it like that. I learned to operate it from a toggle switch. It's a deep overdrive, 30%. A 4.57 rear with the od engaged has a final drive of 3.19. It's great for flat ground. The engine needs good torque to kick in at about 2,000 to run it with the overdrive engaged. 4.57 rear end gears is what these overdrive units were made for, so 4.10 or 4.11 may be okay with smaller diameter tires.
@mikeoverland At that price, get it. Rebuild the transmission if it needs it, and run it, even if it just with a toggle switch. The freewheeling feature is a learning curve, but you'll figure out how to drive it as a regular 3 speed around town.

mcarlo86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size

Post #22 on this thread shows pictures of the Hurst mystery shifter that worked with these OD transmissions. If anyone has one of these laying around and willing to part with it, let me know. ;)

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350

Post #22 on this thread shows pictures of the Hurst mystery shifter that worked with these OD transmissions. If anyone has one of these laying around and willing to part with it, let me know. ;)
That appears to be just a 3 speed shifter, which is all one needs and definietly a unicorn nowadays. The OD cable is not part of the shifter, neither is the governor or solenoid. And the transmission in those photos is not an OD 3 speed, just a regular long tailshaft 3 speed. Mine is 3-on-the-tree, the od actuating cable is mounted under the dash, and the toggle is mounted between the cluster and the door, but all of that can be installed anywhere one desires. The cable is there no matter what. The toggle is only there if the system isn't complete.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54