West Michigan member...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Greetings all! My name is Bob. I signed up here a while ago but never officially introduced myself, mainly because I did not have a square body at the time. Well... now I got the one I have been after for a long time!! Here is a quick pic of it, story about it to follow....

You must be registered for see images attach

As you can guess from my SN, it is 1979 K20, in the Scottsdale variety. The drivetrain is all original... 400ci sbc, TH400, 14FF rear, 10 bolt front, full time 4WD, 3.73 gears, Camper Special package. 98,*** miles. The interior is original also, as you will see. Hardly any options, NO a/c, NO cruise, NO power locks or windows, rubber floor, you get the idea. It was in an accident so the body has been worked over in a couple of places, but it is the original color green paint, Emerald Green I believe. The pics are a terrible representation of the true color. It is way more green than the pictures. This is the only truck I have ever seen with the green on green color scheme, and I love it! More pics....

And so the BEST part of the story. Back in 1979, before I was born (1980), my DAD bought this truck brand new! That's right, it has been part of my family longer than me! I have SOOO many memories with truck! Most of them involve camping and vacations. We had a slide-in-camper that we took everywhere, the longest trip being out to the Grand Canyon! Everytime I get in the truck all the smells and sounds bring me back to riding in the cab with my dad and navigating for him with the countless maps we gathered in our travels.

So I got the truck recently because mom and dad decided to buy a 5th wheel to camp with to replace the aging camper. Dad didn't want to put a hitch in the bed of this truck, and I happen to have an '05 Sierra that I hardly drove anymore, so we worked out a swap. He got my Sierra and I got the 79, and as a bonus, I also got their '02 Monte Carlo in the deal too.

My Sierra I traded for the 79.....

My plans for it you ask? Restore it! I want to preserve it in the condition I have always known. When the engine or tranny go, they are getting a mostly stock rebuild. That won't happen anytime soon though, the thing runs like new. There will be no lift going on this truck, to the dismay of many I talk to. It is still a work truck for me and I don't need the bed any higher than it is. I do have the original wheels that are getting reconditioned and will be going back on once I put tires on them. Not much is happening right away other than routine maintainence.

Thanks for reading this long intro, I am looking forward to becoming much more involved in this great website!

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Im lovin that 79, looks great!

I completely agree with you, it does not need a lift or anything but OEM parts.

Such a beautifull truck's engine compartment should not look like rats are nesting, get the pressure washer out!

Great story and thanks for joining and sharing this Jewel with us dude.

Edit: Looked at the engine compartment photo's again and noticed its not dirty, just missing paint.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I wouldn't lift it if I were you, you would just destroy all the good memories you have of it if you do. Maybe upgrade to a pull-behind camper instead of a slide-in, if you're still into that. Truck looks great, ride it like it is!! :cheers:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Welcome to the site. Cool truck and nice story behind it!! :waytogo: I wish I could have had my grandpa's 79. Although it was just a 1/2 ton with a v6 :lol:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Wow! You just don't see trucks like that anymore:drool:

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Welcome aboard. I really like that truck, and your plans to keep it stock. Post more pics once you get the OE wheels back on!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Great intro, glad to see you are going to keep it stock. Welcome.

DirtyC30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
:welcome: That is one nice square. I agree with keeping it stock, although I can't ever leave anything stock :roflbow:

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Glad to see you all like it! I will definetly post pics anytime I work on it. New tires on the original wheels and cleaning up the engine bay are tops on the list at this moment. I am having to split my time between the 79 and my 1985 Monte Carlo SS. The SS is my first car and I need to restore that also. Hopefully the motor is coming out of that this summer/fall. There will be a thread on that also when I get around to it. Sorry in advance..... I have no digital pics of it! :slap:

If any of you run into green interior pieces, I would be very interested in them. All the restoration places I have looked into do not have green as an option for interior pieces.

And does anyone have a mirror or set of mirrors laying around? My dad had to buy a new one for the drivers side, but he couldn't find an original style one. He got this ugly aftermarket one that whistles in the wind, drives me nuts! PM me please!

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
Thats a beautiful truck!

Forum statistics