Weird sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jppr26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 custom deluxe
Engine Size
350/5.7
So whenever I let the clutch out get going after the truck has sat a week or two I hear a weird whirling sound, after I’ve driven a while I don’t hear it any more. It dose it in forward and reverse, I’m thinking it’s the throw out bearing, but don’t hear anything when the truck is running and in neutral, or when the clutch is depressed, I only hear it while letting the clutch out to engage the transmission, once the clutch is all they way out it stops. The truck is a 87 V20 custom deluxe 4x4, 4 speed with a granny gear

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
My brother’s Dodge did pretty much what you’re saying yours is. It was a godawful screeching sound. The PO supposedly replaced the clutch and didn’t replace the throwout bearing. It sounds like you need to replace yours and probably turn the flywheel. I’m assuming the clutch is still good and your rear main seal isn’t leaking. If you have concerns about either of those items, I’d kill that whole gaggle of birds with one stone.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
It do sound like a throwout bearing gone bad.

Jppr26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 custom deluxe
Engine Size
350/5.7
Well I know I’ll have issues with getting my exhaust off so I was planning to replace with new headders and may run new pipes all the way out or just make a new y pipe and route to the existing exhaust, but wasn’t planning on doing it any time soon. I’m not sure on my rear main but it is wet back there

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevbak88