Weird dash light issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jak22099

Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
400 SBC
Have a 1984 k10, have had this issue ever since I got the truck...

The dash lights are pretty inconsistent on this thing...

All of my gauges work, the gauge illumination also works and responds to turning the headlight switch, but that's it. The gauge bulbs have all been replaced.

I occasionally get the parking brake warning light but not always, same with the highbeam indicator. Don't get the choke light either. Neither turn signal indicators on the dash light up even with the hazards on, but the flashers and the lights themselves outside the truck all work it's just a gauge cluster issue. The light that indicates which fuel tank is being used also doesn't work. I'm going to check my wiring more thoroughly... as far as i know the gray wire in the harness is for the instrument lights and the black is for the ground... any other wires i would need to check that could potentially cause this issue? My gut is telling me the printed circuit on the back of the gauge cluster is bad but I want to rule everything else out first since they're pretty expensive to replace

MarineOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Sounds like the print board to me aswell. It's possible the headlight switch is doing funk stuff but with some of the symptoms your having that dosent totally align

84C20HD

Reaction score
First Name
CHARLIE
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
You need to replace the circuit board, possibly? Before you do that be sure to check your ground to the body. A new ground to the cab can't hurt. If everything else works fine in the cab but you still have issues with the dash, go directly to the ground feed of the board @ the column and possibly make a homerun from battery negative to that ground wire. You can buy these boards @ LMC . They range from $50.00 to $60.00 depending on amount of gauges installed. Believe it or not, the tachometer board is the the cheaper cost.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad