Weird No spark

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78stepside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
So Sunday when I was driving, truck started missing a little but I thought it was just bad gas so I kept running a while. Finally it just stopped completely and wouldn't run. Had no spark at all. Pulled it home and let it sit a few days and changed the ign coil and cap and it ran but was still a little rough. Today went to take it down the road and didn't go half a mile and started missing terrible and just shut off and now no spark at all. I changed the module and pulse coil, ran a jumper from my battery to the battery post on the dist. and still no fire... any advice on where to go from here? Dist. is still spinning so I know that's not the problem either.

78stepside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
oh and truck is a 87 v10 but has been swapped to carb. 350

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Wow, I would have swore it was the module. Are you running an HEI distributor then?

78stepside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
ok, tested the newer module I had put in the truck. Tested bad so bought a new one...still didn't help. Yes It's HEI. Would the bad modulator cause the ign. coil to also go out or vice versa? Tested for power coming into the dist. with the key on and it's getting power, so I'm pretty sure it's somewhere within the distributor. The center contact where the rotor contacts inside the distributor cap looks a little worn but I don't believe that would be causing the no spark at all issue but correct me if I'm wrong.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
How are your grounds?

Sent from the dust in front of you!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Brake clean your cap and rotor

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I take it that the pulse coil is aka pick up coil? That would be my next suggestion, but if you're changed it... just like the module being bad, pick up coil could be too. :shrug:

78stepside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Well got spark back but it is running rough. Friend of mine pulled all the wires off the dist. before I could mark the location of the #1 plug wire. I didn't look at the timing marks yet but have tried to start my order from multiple post on the dist. cap. All the wires are in the correct order when installed but can't get over this running rough. Tried turning dist. base until it sounded best then adjust carb from there but nothing better. I can't hardly put the truck in gear or it will die out. When given throttle, it runs rough until about 2.5k then sounds great the rest of the way.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Could this possibly be a failed lock up torque converter?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3dbello