Water pump/power steering pump, shared mounting bolt/stud

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BJedi76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
B.J.
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 1500 4x4 SWB
Engine Size
305”
You must be registered for see images attach

BJedi76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
B.J.
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 1500 4x4 SWB
Engine Size
305”
With that crappy aftermarket bracket, and no available pump having a rear mount, once it was installed, I could move entire pump with my free hand.

I took that junk bracket off and just shimmied up the OEM bracket, and now I can’t move that thing with a crowbar.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I don’t know what bracket you’re thinking of or why you would think that my stock bracket is thin and bendable.

It’s 1/8” steel plate.
you could beat somebody to death with this oem bracket.

…and how do you think that four bolts is, in any way, stronger than 8 bolts?

And I’m not about to start drilling holes in the reservoir to accommodate some aftermarket bracket, because no auto parts store sells the pump that fits the bracket.

That’s backwards.

The bracket is supposed to accommodate the pump you can get.

… And as far as pumps with a bolt or mounting hole on the back , Every auto parts store said there were no options. Different brands, but no alternative options. I even asked every auto parts store (o’Reillys, Napa, Carquest, & AutoZone) to show me pictures of every brand. Not a single one of them had a bolt or a hole on the back of the pump.

Every auto parts store sells the pump with the threaded hole on the back. It's just that none of your counter persons were knowledgeable enough to say "hey, let's look up a different year or engine to see if it has the hole that you want". The bracket designs changed over the years which is why some pumps have the hole and others do not.

But with that said, you did good with the factory bracketry. There's certainly nothing wrong with going that route.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I don’t know what bracket you’re thinking of or why you would think that my stock bracket is thin and bendable.

It’s 1/8” steel plate.
you could beat somebody to death with this oem bracket.

…and how do you think that four bolts is, in any way, stronger than 8 bolts?

And I’m not about to start drilling holes in the reservoir to accommodate some aftermarket bracket, because no auto parts store sells the pump that fits the bracket.

That’s backwards.

The bracket is supposed to accommodate the pump you can get.

… And as far as pumps with a bolt or mounting hole on the back , Every auto parts store said there were no options. Different brands, but no alternative options. I even asked every auto parts store (o’Reillys, Napa, Carquest, & AutoZone) to show me pictures of every brand. Not a single one of them had a bolt or a hole on the back of the pump.
Would you like a picture of the pump bucket mentioned? I have a few Saginaw and I’m pretty sure the one I put on my truck doesn’t have the bolt and that was the reason I couldn’t use a nicer bracket I think I had the parts to.

maybe the one I’m talking about came later but they werent thinking too hard when designed it…
And the current bracket shares a mounting tab on the head or exhaust with the brackets for the original compressor. 1977 or 78 k25 with ac is what it’s from

Oaasport

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V10
Engine Size
Im going to save a little trouble. I have that exact bracket kit on my Suburban and soon on my K10. To those saying they dont work, here is the proof they do. I have beat the tar out of this suburban and never had add issue with this bracket kit. Theres a trick, you need a Pump from a 1987 Suburban TBI 350. Note the picture of the pump itself, theres a stud on the back of it, most pumps do not have this. I just happen to have an old grumpy GM Tech that now works at autozone since he retired. i
showed him the bracket and he says "uh huh" and comes out two mins later with the pump I need.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Im going to save a little trouble. I have that exact bracket kit on my Suburban and soon on my K10. To those saying they dont work, here is the proof they do. I have beat the tar out of this suburban and never had add issue with this bracket kit. Theres a trick, you need a Pump from a 1987 Suburban TBI 350. Note the picture of the pump itself, theres a stud on the back of it, most pumps do not have this. I just happen to have an old grumpy GM Tech that now works at autozone since he retired. i
showed him the bracket and he says "uh huh" and comes out two mins later with the pump I need.

Many big block trucks had a pump with the stud too.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
What’s the correlation with big blocks? Perhaps the down low mounting so sometimes had a divorced reservoir?
I have one pump with the stud and I know one of my small block brackets needs to have it, but it was weirdly angled and I didn’t want to mess with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL