Wasted a day.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nxtlevl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Had a stuck thermostat on the truck, so I replaced it along with a new housing...which led to changing the oil....which led to putting in some new gauges..which ultimately led to tracing down an oil leak...:suicide:...Totally forgot how much fun it was to work on older stuff......I'm pretty sure the leak is originating from the distributor o-ring, but won't know for sure until I spray some degreaser and head down to the car wash.....It's not a huge leak, but just enough to be annoying...Gotta love the older SBC motors...:rofl:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Awesome to hear you got to work on it! I its not one thing its another.

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
Doesnt sound like a waste to me lol

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Sounds like you got off really cheap as a matter of fact. Whats your next plans in the future? It sounds like your truck is nice if thats all your dealing with right now.

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
Your oil leak sounds better than the one I was fixing this week

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Count your blessings, I had to replace a pan to stop my oil leak. Now my trans won't shift. Damned if I know.

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
Count your blessings, I had to replace a pan to stop my oil leak. Now my trans won't shift. Damned if I know.

Lol I had to replace my pan this week.

You might also want to check the vacuum line to your transmissions modulator

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Nope, doesn't sound like a wasted day to me. Sounds like you got alot accomplished. A wasted day is what Iman99 when thru last week or the week before with his SM465. He wasted a few days.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Nope, doesn't sound like a wasted day to me. Sounds like you got alot accomplished. A wasted day is what Iman99 when thru last week or the week before with his SM465. He wasted a few days.

HAHA yea, not to mention a 150$ on a transmission I cant use and a 30 dollar gasket set for a transmission I cant use.

Do you remember how I had the lid stuck on the transmission? I left it rolling around in the back of my truck and the lid just fell off finally. I swear to god I fought that thing for hours messing with the shifter in reverse and tried everything I could think of, Just fell off.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
HAHA yea, not to mention a 150$ on a transmission I cant use and a 30 dollar gasket set for a transmission I cant use.

Do you remember how I had the lid stuck on the transmission? I left it rolling around in the back of my truck and the lid just fell off finally. I swear to god I fought that thing for hours messing with the shifter in reverse and tried everything I could think of, Just fell off.
You were'nt holding your mouth right LOL. Nahh, you had it bound up somehow and it vibrated itself free then came apart is what happened. I'll assure you. You musta had it jammed up.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
You were'nt holding your mouth right LOL. Nahh, you had it bound up somehow and it vibrated itself free then came apart is what happened. I'll assure you. You musta had it jammed up.

Im now under the impression you know every single detail about every small component in a gm auto transmission, but when it comes to the 465 you dont have any advice?!?! Haha just kidding man.

Im A very patient person, This thing pushed me to my limits, I looked at schematics and came up with theory's, those all failed. So I used pry bars, tried moving the shifting forks with a hammer and chisel and nothing would get the lid off. And the mother ****** falls off on its own.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'll agree with that. I have much much more experience with auto's than I do standards. I have done very few standards, and probably not enough to have the picture memory as I do with auto's since I seen them over and over and over. Repetition and Experiece go along way. I can pull a manual apart and put it back together. Bring it to me in a basket, you may as well throw it in the scrap pile. Turbo 350 and 400's, bring them to me in a million pieces and I'll put it together. I'd say the same about a 700r4, BUT those 700r4's had changes every single year, so its best to pull it apart to see which one you got, updgrade all the backward compatible changes you can, and very important to know what is backwards compatible and what's not or you will have built a pile of junk, so I do prefer to have a 700r4 in complete condition and take it 1 piece at a time. Somethings, and obviously like your situation with the 465, if I were there and doing it, my memory would would have been jogged and recalled what's what, but without being hands on, its tough to say. But, I also never had one jammed up like that and not able to come apart. I just recalled something about it having to be in reverse to come apart, and that part I was right about. Sure sorry I wasn't more help on that one. Transmissions are usually my forte', and if I don't know, I'll find out.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Oh, and don't forget. Chevrolet's do have tendancy to fix themselves at times, so that is probably why it fell apart on its own.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
You definetly know your transmissions. The trick to the 465 to get the lid off was 3/4 of the way into reverse and the top shimmies off. I think Im going to save my junked transmission and try to rebuild it later.

nxtlevl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Oh, and don't forget. Chevrolet's do have tendancy to fix themselves at times, so that is probably why it fell apart on its own.

:)...I wish this one would...Had a slight ticking noise the other day...sounded like a lifter. It went away after the truck would warm up, so I thought maybe the exhaust bolts had loosened up causing a slight leak...the back bolt on the passenger header was pretty loose, and had 2 collector bolts loose as well. Never did it again at all yesterday..I was thinking "Awesome, a simple fix".....Go to work this morning, and it started again....:flame: Beginning to think that I might have a sticking lifter....What was weird tho, is that I noticed I was low on gas in one tank, so I switched it over to the other tank and the ticking stopped...........Now I'm really confused....Any suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedwhisky