EXCESSIVE oil leak - Burning off exhaust, but from where?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
Agree with post 5 above, dye and black light. Our leak was passenger side rear intake manifold corner.. real hard to find. Thought valve covers, finally found it and pulled intake and cleaned everything up and re sealed it with right stuff.. dry ever since

R and E

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
This is a oddity that happened to my K20 30 years ago. I started losing oil, couldn't find it at idle or just revving motor. Ended up the bolt on front of the block that holds the fuel pump rod up when you change it had fallen out. I found after a week of pulling my hair out.....Duh

olnick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c15
Engine Size
1982 350 4 bolt mains
Do what you just checked for a pressurized crankcase! Any time I get a leaker to work on, I seal off all outside access from the crankcase then I use the oil dipstick tube to put the air hose to it! I use a regulator set at 5-10 psi max. Listen with a piece of hose for any/all hissing. check inside the carb too as bad intake valve guide seals will hiss in the carb, Don't forget to check the exhaust pipes (dual) as well the hissing will indicate bad exhaust valve guide seals. This will pick up any leaks at the wall of china (rear of intake manifold) front of manifold and front crank seal. It takes no more than 10 minutes to locate any and all leaks. Using this procedure you can have a leak free engine