Washer pump issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

weasel609

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
My universalwasher pump just kicked the bucket apparently. No fluid when I push the button on the console. So I ripped it out the pump and tested the power wire and found that it was getting constant power when in run position. Is this normal? I recall reading that the washer switch grounds it out to activate the pump. Would this indicate that the switch has failed and not the pump?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
My universalwasher pump just kicked the bucket apparently. No fluid when I push the button on the console. So I ripped it out the pump and tested the power wire and found that it was getting constant power when in run position. Is this normal? I recall reading that the washer switch grounds it out to activate the pump. Would this indicate that the switch has failed and not the pump?

Yeah, pretty much looks that way. The white lead to the pump is hot at all times (key on). The pink lead is the ground leg. When you push the button for the washer, you are closing a set of contacts inside the switch. Those contacts are wired to the pink lead. When they close, they create continuity in the ground leg and and this completes the circuit. The pump runs.

To test whether it is the pump or the wiring, cut the pink wire near the pump and strip the insulation from the side going to the pump. Run a jumper from the stripped end to a clean/unpainted spot on the engine or frame. If the pump runs...it's the control wiring. If not (and there is power on the white)...it's the pump.

Last edited:

weasel609

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Thanks Chengny! $20 universal and I'm back in the game

Latest posts