Reinstate Wiring for Washer Pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TFerguson

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
350 (5.7)
Hello to all. I'm finally getting around to trying to get some squirter action on my '90 Blazer. My problem is that all the PO left of the washer system was the rubber tubing and the nozzles. The washer bottle, washer pump, and the pump wiring/pigtail are all AWOL. So I've got a new pump, tubing, and an OE-spec washer bottle ready to slap on, but I'm hitting a wall on the wiring. I've already replaced the wiper control stalk.

Here's a pic of my wiper motor. With the key in the "On" position, I get a solid 12V from all but one of these 5 wires - the blue one in the upper connector. However, the blue wire does give me a little juice (~1-3V) when I hit the washer switch, so I expect that's somehow involved. My understanding is that the washer motor works off of these wires, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it to only engage when I hit the washer switch. (The pump does work w/ constant 12V, btw.) Can anyone tell me where the 2-wire pigtail that goes to the washer motor connects? Oh, and it might be important to note that the intermittent wiper function doesn't work - just high and low speeds. I recall reading that the int and washer pump somehow work together... maybe...?
You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks!

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ok I don't know how much I can help here, as I know the older systems better, but maybe @Doppleganger knows. I will say that the switch works by switching ground paths to the wiper motor, so it's perfectly normal to see power at a number of wires on the motor. For some reason that seems to be perplexing to some so let me know if you need further explanation.

In my head it seems unlikely that the wiring to squirted motor was actually removed. If it was I'd think you'd find the cap off wires somewhere. Would it be possible for you to take some pictures of where the washer bottle mounts, and that fender up by the firewall too. Maybe one of us will spot something helpful.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
First off, I believe you have a pump in your washer fluid bottle, not on the wiper motor.
The wires/plug you are referring to are the PARK switch.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
First off, I believe you have a pump in your washer fluid bottle, not on the wiper motor.
The wires/plug you are referring to are the PARK switch.
That's exactly right, it should have an electric motor on the pump bottle. That started in 85, 84 and down is mechanical pump on the motor.

TFerguson

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
350 (5.7)
Ok I don't know how much I can help here, as I know the older systems better, but maybe @Doppleganger knows. I will say that the switch works by switching ground paths to the wiper motor, so it's perfectly normal to see power at a number of wires on the motor. For some reason that seems to be perplexing to some so let me know if you need further explanation.

In my head it seems unlikely that the wiring to squirted motor was actually removed. If it was I'd think you'd find the cap off wires somewhere. Would it be possible for you to take some pictures of where the washer bottle mounts, and that fender up by the firewall too. Maybe one of us will spot something helpful.
Thanks Rob. Yeah, I barely know enough about wiring to almost be dangerous, which is why I (try to) proceed with caution in that department.

If the washer motor wiring is still there, it is _well_ tucked away. It appears that the DS fender was replaced at some point, so I'm thinking they just didn't feel like putting the washer bottle, etc back when they were done. Lucky me. I would send pics of the inner fender, but it is literally just the metal of the inner fender. The only wires there are in a loom going to the front lights, and the wires I put in for the electric rad fan.

I know there are two wires that need to go to the pump, so I'm hoping someone with a similar setup can just take a peek to see what they tie into, if possible.

TFerguson

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
350 (5.7)
That's exactly right, it should have an electric motor on the pump bottle. That started in 85, 84 and down is mechanical pump on the motor.
I ordered the washer bottle new from Classic Industries. There is a cavity in the back of the bottle where the pump clicks into place - no issues there. Just need to figure out where the 2 wires that go to the washer motor come from.

TFerguson

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
350 (5.7)
Thanks Rob. Yeah, I barely know enough about wiring to almost be dangerous, which is why I (try to) proceed with caution in that department.

If the washer motor wiring is still there, it is _well_ tucked away. It appears that the DS fender was replaced at some point, so I'm thinking they just didn't feel like putting the washer bottle, etc back when they were done. Lucky me. I would send pics of the inner fender, but it is literally just the metal of the inner fender. The only wires there are in a loom going to the front lights, and the wires I put in for the electric rad fan.

I know there are two wires that need to go to the pump, so I'm hoping someone with a similar setup can just take a peek to see what they tie into, if possible.
Here's what the inner fender looks like. I've even poked around in those cavities with an endoscope - the only wires inside the fender are the ones that go to the side marker.

Attachments

• 20221129_144959.jpg
    20221129_144959.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 45

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Here's what the inner fender looks like. I've even poked around in those cavities with an endoscope - the only wires inside the fender are the ones that go to the side marker.
Thanks. I don't see anything, but the existing factory loom, maybe it's worth while to see if it's tuck into it there. Look under the brake master to for it being tucked up in there.

If you cannot find the wiring at all you will have to decide if you want to try to wire the new pump into the existing switch or hook the pump to a separate independent switch.

TFerguson

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
350 (5.7)
Thanks. I don't see anything, but the existing factory loom, maybe it's worth while to see if it's tuck into it there. Look under the brake master to for it being tucked up in there.

If you cannot find the wiring at all you will have to decide if you want to try to wire the new pump into the existing switch or hook the pump to a separate independent switch.
Rob, you win the prize! I just went digging into that loom, assuming there were only wires to the lights in there, and *bingo* - one pink wire, and one white wire, just hanging out in there. I plugged those into the washer pump and all was right with the world. The pump now works with the switch, just like it should. The only downside is that I feel like a pretty big doofus for missing that obvious solution. Funny how often these things are a lot less difficult that you (okay, *I*) think.

For anyone else looking at this thread, the two you want are the pink (pos) and white (neg) wires that come out of the firewall and head up towards the headlights. Since the washer and the wiper motors share the same fuse (#16), I had it in my head that the wires would be all together. Silly me.

Anyway, thanks again @SirRobyn0 !

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Rob, you win the prize! I just went digging into that loom, assuming there were only wires to the lights in there, and *bingo* - one pink wire, and one white wire, just hanging out in there. I plugged those into the washer pump and all was right with the world. The pump now works with the switch, just like it should. The only downside is that I feel like a pretty big doofus for missing that obvious solution. Funny how often these things are a lot less difficult that you (okay, *I*) think.

For anyone else looking at this thread, the two you want are the pink (pos) and white (neg) wires that come out of the firewall and head up towards the headlights. Since the washer and the wiper motors share the same fuse (#16), I had it in my head that the wires would be all together. Silly me.

Anyway, thanks again @SirRobyn0 !
AWESOME.. Hey I've been hanging around automotive long enough to know most of the time guys just tuck that stuff away, VS removing it. But glad to hear you found it, that's certainly easier than a rewire!

TFerguson

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
350 (5.7)
Just a followup note on this thread: After getting the washer pump installed and plumbed, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the intermittent wipers now work! Before installing the pump, I only had the "high" and "low" wiper settings, which was fine. But hey, I'll take the bonus!

So for anyone troubleshooting intermittent wiper functionality, it seems that the washer motor circuit must be complete for that to work. Kinda weird, but I guess the GM engineers made it that way for a reason..?

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Lucky! Mine won't spray but everything else works.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Just a followup note on this thread: After getting the washer pump installed and plumbed, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the intermittent wipers now work! Before installing the pump, I only had the "high" and "low" wiper settings, which was fine. But hey, I'll take the bonus!

So for anyone troubleshooting intermittent wiper functionality, it seems that the washer motor circuit must be complete for that to work. Kinda weird, but I guess the GM engineers made it that way for a reason..?
Huh, that's interesting. I wonder if that's true or if it's a coincidence? I say that because my intermittent wipers would work...well, intermittently. Then I did away with my washer bottle all together when I put in my SloshTubz and now they don't work at all.

Wonder if anyone else can shed light on that?