Wanted C20-or C30

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Is your Gear Vendor, just an overdrive, or is it the Overdrive/Underdrive unit?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It goes into overdrive on it's own? That's cool, I was under the impression that you always had to manually switch it on. I'd really like to have two of them... one for my C20 Burb, and another for the '79 K30. Bulletproof overdrive without excessive electronics is what I want. Maybe someday :)

Dieselshine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 trailering special
Engine Size
Nice Ive heard of the gear vendors overdrive unit before but totally forgot about them, I'd love to build up a Turbo 400 with a gear vendors overdrive unit along with a bit of a built up 427 tall deck

towin'gmc

Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Gear Vendors are overdrive by .74 I believe. With all of the new overdrive automatics out there, they are kind of old school. However they are bulletproof. Lots of use in drag racing. they shift by solenoid so you can control each gear in and out both, or leave it automatic for high gear only. Great for towing I think. So you have a six speed TH400. It was my way of upgrading my SUB for towing with 410 gears, but I never towed a lot, you know how that is; just ready to go. I live 10 miles from the mountains and it is handy on grades both up and down. They cost around 2200 new in 1988 or more by now I would guess. they run on Dexron fluid. THey originated in Britain as Austin Healy used them. The original company was Lacock Ind. B4 Gear Vendors bought the patent. I never used it as underdrive, actually your low transmission gear is the lowest you have. Then if you start out in overdrive 1st gear you can downshift by .74 to your actual low gear ratio. It downshifts on command from any gear at any speed so you have to watch the downshifts. Chad.

Last edited:

Dieselshine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 trailering special
Engine Size
That sounds cool, never had one personally but I like the sounds of it, defs wouldn't be letting anyone drive it after putting one in lol, defs intrested once I get rolling on the truck this summer I hope I can put enough penny's in a pile for one haha