Vortec engine out of a surburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

christopher jones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
my mechanic is putting a engine that came out of a 1994 suburban. He installed a vortec engine in a 1984 c10 . He swears they are great engines. I just want the groups opinion on this engine swap. Let me know your feedback.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have a 97 5.7 Vortec at a machine shop now. The cost of the whole motor was a fraction of what just the kit to convert to a roller cam is.

Just bolting the vortec heads on anything older is a huge step up.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
You might need a different mechanic, since the Vortec 350 (SBC 350 roller with Vortec heads) was not offered in 1994. I believe GM confused everything by having some V6 and V8 engines with the word Vortec on the valve covers before they actually started using Vortec heads.

Vortec heads alone are about 30+ horsepower better than the old TBI heads, and with the right cam they will work even better. Vortec 350's also have a roller cam and one piece rear seal. They require a Vortec-specific intake, since the intake bolt pattern is different. Many do not have provisions for a mechanical fuel pump since they were used with EFI. Stock Vortec heads have limitations on cam valve lift, but can be easily modified by machining or using special springs to handle a higher lift cam.

Bruce

christopher jones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I might have the wrong information, I know it’s a surburban, I might have the year wrong. I am gonna check now

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
TBI- reliable, with no real power potential because the heads suck. It is not a Vortec engine.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
My 87 burb has a TBI. Super reliable, but about the only thing that engine has going for it. Not a powerhouse by any means but the (sad excuse for) EFI is handy to have, my truck starts right up every time whether it's 20 below zero in the winter or 105 degrees out in the summer.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
And extreme elevation changes are less detrimental to performance. Also extreme angles, climbing hills, etc.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
He is staying with my carburetor setup
Oh.

Then there is nothing more reliable about that engine than whatever came out of your truck. It's not specifically a bad engine, but if I was going to spend the time and money on an engine swap I sure as hell would pick something better than that one. Unless of course you got like the deal of the century on a super low mileage engine or something along those lines

And someone correct me of I'm wrong, but I believe you'll have to change some of your emissions parts over too

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So many people think the TBI engines are Vortec engines due to them having center bolt valve covers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade