Vibration under acceleration...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
In my Burb ('90, 2wd, lowered,....) I've recently, within the last 2 or 3 days, developed a vibration when accelerating between 30-35 MPH. Seems to smooth out once i get near and above 40 mph. If I let off the gas while the vibration is happening the vibration goes away. My burb doesn't have a carrer bearing. Does this sound like a u-joint issue to anyone else? I'd get under there and wiggle things around but it's 1,000,000 degrees out for the foreseeable future so I thought I'd ask you fine folks for some troubleshooting help until I can lay down on the concrete without cooking. :hands:

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I would vote U-joint since it just popped up all of a sudden. Or a/both u-bolts have let the axle wrap inside them for some reason. But I'd think that would be a much worse vibration

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I still get twitchy talking about driveline vibration after my ordeal. I'm sure yours will be much easier to diagnose. All I can offer is that the problem likely lies between the crankshaft and the tires.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
I still get twitchy talking about driveline vibration after my ordeal. I'm sure yours will be much easier to diagnose. All I can offer is that the problem likely lies between the crankshaft and the tires.
Tell me more. I'm taking notes here :lol: Good stuff...

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
I'm voting u joints too. My OBS Burb has a one piece driveshaft, and in a couple of days it went from "normal old truck noise" to "really bad noise and vibration that increases and decreases with engine speed". Took it to a shop and they replaced both u joints, problem solved.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
I would vote U-joint since it just popped up all of a sudden. Or a/both u-bolts have let the axle wrap inside them for some reason. But I'd think that would be a much worse vibration
I'm voting u joints too. My OBS Burb has a one piece driveshaft, and in a couple of days it went from "normal old truck noise" to "really bad noise and vibration that increases and decreases with engine speed". Took it to a shop and they replaced both u joints, problem solved.
2 votes for u-joints makes troubleshooting 100% complete. Now I'm going down that rabbit hole! :happy175: Thinking I'll probably crawl under there, check them out and if I can confirm I'll snag the driveshaft out and have a shop do the work. I HATE fighting u-joints and they're most likely original so a shop can do the hard work LOL

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
My new to me OBS Burb has a violent driveline vibration between 45-65. Pinion u-joint is wasted, picking up both front and rear units since I doubt the other is far behind.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
One thing I learned recently is that my perception of a part being good was faulty. I thought my 40 year old yokes were perfectly fine. They fit together nicely and didn't have any noticeable slop in them. When I handed them to the guy at the driveline shop, he looked at them for less than 10 seconds and said they were worn out. WTH?! When it comes to the clearances in drivetrains, a little can be a big problem. What feels ok in your hand may be an issue under the stress induced under load. Don't be a cheapskate like I was. Just spend the extra cabbage and replace that junk. It will likely last longer than most of us will live at this point.

Last edited:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
I'm also in the u-joint camp. I'll go one further though and say that I think one of them is tight and seizing up.
Found a shop this morning that wasn't book a couple weeks out or more. They are to take care of me next week so I'll let them fight it. Shop is only about 10 miles away so I think she'll make it that far without issues and I've used them a few times in the past for various things and trust them so I think it'll be good to go once done.

One shop I called said they don't work on anything with modified suspension. I only called them cuz they were close. They are now on my long list of don't call again shops. LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag