1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Driveshaft vibration

Discussion in 'Differential & Driveline' started by SirRobyn0, May 19, 2021.

1. SirRobyn0

SirRobyn0 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Rob
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C20
    Engine Size:
    I do not believe that this is a TCC vib, it just doesn't feel right for that. Yes, this is a factory ESC truck, it is currently non-functional but that's another story.

Isn't there a cam built specifically for swapping 5 and 7 or am I talking like a sausage?!?!?

John Anderson I can get behind music like that!

2. R Carnella

R Carnella Supporting Member Supporting Member

First Name:
    Ric
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Suburban V2500
    Engine Size:
    I had this issue with my V2500 burb and i finally put the rear axle on jack stands,started the motor put in drive and let the tranny shift up to speed.
    Then i was able to see one of my rear axles was bent slightly.
    I could see the wheel and drum wobble a very small amount.
    Replaced my rear axles and now it's soo much better

FireTruck1984 likes this.
  3. R Carnella

First Name:
    Ric
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Suburban V2500
    Engine Size:
    That was of course after going through all the Driveline first but at least its fixed lol

4. SirRobyn0

First Name:
    Rob
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C20
    Engine Size:
    Ok I was just thinking about this, this morning. I still need to get finished up with my cooling system before I circle back around the vibration, but it occurred to me I've had a long standing issue with a minor rear brake vibration as well. The symptoms are like that of a mildly warped drum, light pulsation from the rear under hard braking. Like the driveline vib, the braking pulsation has been there longer than I've owned the truck. I've resurfaced the drums as that would be the usual fix, but it made no difference. It's not very bad so I've dropped it as one of those things this old truck is going to do. But I wonder, is that also a symptom of a bent axle? Did you have anything like that going on? At $200 an axle that might just make it swap to FF time for me. Thanks.

5. R Carnella

First Name:
    Ric
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Suburban V2500
    Engine Size:

Yes same issue with rear drums,always felt like warped (band new) drum. And would go out of adjustment quickly

Craig 85 likes this.
  6. SirRobyn0

First Name:
    Rob
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C20
    Engine Size:
    ok thanks, I may look at the axles before doing the output shaft bushing. Thanks.

7. SirRobyn0

First Name:
    Rob
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C20
    Engine Size:
    Well Another weekend of not making any progress on the vibration. First there was the cooling system thing that I was suppose to have taken care of last weekend, but because of the "fan clutch debacle" (there is a thread under tech about that). And finding a partially clogged radiator last weekend, finishing that stuff rolled into this weekend. Plus there is the farm which is sure busy this time of year!

I do think that I will make the time at work this week to at least put it up and check out the axles.

8. SirRobyn0

First Name:
    Rob
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C20
    Engine Size:
    Update: Well I found a few minutes this morning to run the truck on jack stands. #1. My right rear drum and wheel look exactly like the video @R Carnella posted, so I'm pretty sure I have a bent RR axle. #2. The rear driveshaft at low speeds I can see that it appears to move up and down a bit. I've straight edged it and looks ok so I'm not quite sure what the issue is there. Maybe it is just enough movement from the carrier to make it appear that way. Regardless in addition to the output shaft bushing I now I need to decide if she shall get an axle or diff swap to FF. That's all I have so far. Thanks.

DoubleDingo likes this.
  9. R Carnella

First Name:
    Ric
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Suburban V2500
    Engine Size:
    i picked up these axles from summit racing for 99 bucks each w/free shipping. also took the opportunity to replace my rusty backing plates and all of the parking brake cables. the rear diff is in really good condition otherwise, so it seemed worth it. i had a new rear drive shaft made when i first got the truck because it was very rusted and now its really smooth at any speed. 20210116_130612.jpg 20210116_185409.jpg

20210116_130612.jpg

10. SirRobyn0

First Name:
    Rob
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C20
    Engine Size:
    Cool thanks, I'll check out Summit. I've started a thread about swapping to a Full floater, but if I can rebuild the semi-float for a reasonable price I might do that. A local parts supplier quoted me $175 an axle so I'll check summit out. Thanks for that.

R Carnella likes this.