Vibration - Driveline Saga

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Again, if it doesn't vibrate with the driveline disconnected (running on the front axle) doesn't this take those other considerations out of the picture?
It takes the front shaft out of the picture. Then it has to be something with the rear driveline. May be someone else has a suggestion. Rereading the OP you have tried quite a bit.

Grumpy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I will run with the data your driveshaft is balanced and when you installed the u-joints you ensured they moved freely on their axis before installation; your driveline angles are accurate and the output of your transfer case is not worn out / leaking seal (telltale.) Check for "silly" issues such as stretched u-joint straps, or mismatched fasteners.
Finally...
With the pressure of the driveline against the rear differential, perhaps it is time to service the rear diff and change the oil - while doing that, inspect the rear bearings, crown & pinion, caps are secure and ensure all the ring gear bolts are in place.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
u-joints in phase with each other?

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Drive the truck at a speed just below where you feel the vibration, then drop the trans down a gear. If the vibration suddenly appears, it’s not driveline. It’s something related to engine speed.

If the vibration is engine speed related and not vehicle speed, you might also try reclocking the converter on the flywheel.

DBinWW

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Drive the truck at a speed just below where you feel the vibration, then drop the trans down a gear. If the vibration suddenly appears, it’s not driveline. It’s something related to engine speed.

If the vibration is engine speed related and not vehicle speed, you might also try reclocking the converter on the flywheel.
Thanks! That'll be today's project; that and popping it into neutral while vibrating.

DBinWW

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I've had brand new tires that had sidewall issues. Less than 10 miles!
It get's this rolling harmonic vibe... sure doesn't seem like tires. But... I should explore this more. Thanks.

R Carnella

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V2500
Engine Size
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Had a similar problem until i found a bent axle

bft305

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
have you checked/ replaced the engine and tranny mounts?

Scribbles

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I have the same problem with my 89 Suburban and have tried many of the ideas on here EXCEPT the suspension. I have changed the shocks to new nicer Bilstein ones but never thought about springs until now.
I have bought a new, used set of springs that are 4 inch lift but now they will be the next thing on my list to try since I need tires anyway.
I got frustrated and parked it in my storage yard for 6 yrs in the AZ heat and sun.
Thanks again for the great tips!!

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
What transfer case do you have? Is it a slip yoke or fixed yoke output? If its a slip-yoke output on the rear, have you tried replacing the output bushing?

You said you have beat the pinion angles to death, what were the measured angles?
This^^^^^

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
My Mom still calls me a 'bull in a china shop' but, she also says 'If it's broke, Roger can fix it.'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linemanjl