Venture a guess…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
My toggles are actually factory, but had no idea what the heck they did. I accidentally changed the position on one without realizing. Next time I drove the truck, none of the lights worked. Spent quite a while diagnosing this and that. Research finally revealed that those switches were blackout switches…oops
CUCV blackout switches.

HS

wildgoose

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
What transmission do you have? I have a toggle in that spot on mine. The previous owner went from three on the tree to floor mounted. The switch was for reverse lights. I replaced the transmission to one that has a reverse switch but kept the toggle in parallel so I can turn on the back up lights on demand too.
3 speed manual on the floor with the granny low gear.

Crossing off reverse lights… that switch doesn’t control them. It also didn’t control the dome light. Will keep looking.

wildgoose

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
Well by now you should have figured out the knob that is circled in yellow... so what is it?

Or are you going to be one of those guys that abandons the thread and never reveals what is found?
Yeah you would think… by now especially… the black pull knob is confirmed a choke knob. I had my 11 year old pull/push while I watched the carb choke move. One half of my original question solved.

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yeah you would think… by now especially… the black pull knob is confirmed a choke knob. I had my 11 year old pull/push while I watched the carb choke move. One half of my original question solved.
I have a manual choke also. My Big block does not like choke. Rarely use it. One pump to start on warm days, three pumps on cool days.

Attachments

• IMG_20171124_150310_kindlephoto-315714624.jpg
    IMG_20171124_150310_kindlephoto-315714624.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20230509_183000_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20230509_183000_hdr.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 28

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
:D Because someone had done it to my truck in the past.
Now I'm trying to "un-do" it !
(Yellow toggle switch below)

Nice to see a fellow "almost" Mecklenburg county guy on here..........

You must be registered for see images attach
My knee would have snapped that off the first time I got in the truck.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I’ve never had any post on the Internet get this much interest as having 5 pages… does this qualify as being what the young folks say is “viral”?
Ask about engine oil or increasing gas mileage, you will go Platinum in days.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Rat? Super common reference to big block chevy engine family as whole just like people refer to small block chevys as mouse motors. A 265 is a mouse so is a 400 small block a 396 is a rat so is a 502
Rat is an old school slang. When the small block Chevy hit the seen, the somewhat compact size of the engine was received well for it's power output. The stock car racers nick named it Mighty Mouse after the currently popular cartoon character. Later shortened to mouse.

Later when it's younger brother, the big block Chevy hit the seen, it's nick name Rat. Maybe only to distinguish between the two engine platforms. Rat, larger than a mouse?
So I guess a 572 or 624 would be an ROUS?

K

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
My dad being a car guy, Growing up he taught me about Mouse and Rat engines. And what a pony car was. And what a sleeper is. I used to collect Edd Roth stuff too.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Ask about engine oil or increasing gas mileage, you will go Platinum in days.

Or ask about glove box screw sizes, what quieter mufflers to use so you can hear your girlfriend talking better, or demand to be quickly told your proper spark plug gap. Lol.

So I guess a 572 or 624 would be an ROUS?

K

Nah... Mega Rat.

plumtruckerd

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
When I got mine it had a switch there that the PO added for the back up lights. I have since replaced the switch on the transmission so they work as they should, but I left this one and have it wired to still function. That way if I want to get out with the truck running to check behind me I can without having to be in reverse. It's a 4-speed so that's a little hard to do.

wildgoose

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
When I got mine it had a switch there that the PO added for the back up lights. I have since replaced the switch on the transmission so they work as they should, but I left this one and have it wired to still function. That way if I want to get out with the truck running to check behind me I can without having to be in reverse. It's a 4-speed so that's a little hard to do.
That reminds me I need to check and see if the reverse lights even work at all, and that’s another vote for the switch too!!

Off topic, but was excited to find FB posts of my truck by previous owners from years ago when it had a totally different interior.

Orion

Reaction score
First Name
Orion
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Stepside
Engine Size
Small Block 350
I have a manual choke also. My Big block does not like choke. Rarely use it. One pump to start on warm days, three pumps on cool days.
She's a beauty. How many gallons to the mile do you get?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M37M35