Venture a guess…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Travlr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
C
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Camper Special
Engine Size
What’s circled in yellow?

Circled in green is the horn button, accompanied by a toggle switch. Any idea what the toggle switch could be assigned to?
Well the knob circled in yellow isn't a toggle switch...

Haven't any of you guys seen a manual choke? I'm betting that if you feel underneath there won't be any wires, but instead there will be a cable. Does the handle pull out rather than turn?

Last edited:

wildgoose

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size

Haven't any of you guys seen a manual choke? I'm betting that if you feel underneath there won't be any wires, but instead there will be a cable. Does the handle pull out rather than turn?
It pulls directly out about an inch and a half. My thought was a choke too… but I haven’t seen one of those since I was a kid. This engine has a carburetor so perhaps it is a choke??? If so, will need to read up on when and how it’s used.

PeteJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
I would guess it's to engage the AC compressor, if'n it's been changed over at some point.
Ask me how I know.

PeteJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
This is me asking you how you know.
:D Because someone had done it to my truck in the past.
Now I'm trying to "un-do" it !
(Yellow toggle switch below)

Nice to see a fellow "almost" Mecklenburg county guy on here..........

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
In pictures it does look like a choke cable coming off the carb in the edelbrock/Carter spot. Easy to tell with air filter off.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Okay give some thought to redoing the fuel line and fuel filter arrangement, ideally you want all metal line from the fuel pump on,if not possible you want as much metal line all possible with very short sections of rubber as couplers. Look at factory GM fuel setups look at nhra rules. Rubber fuel lines burn cars down. A little visual for you,I saw with my own eyes when my car caught fire, just a tiny pin hole in the rubber and the fuel squirts just like good squirter gun,nice steady stream on the distributor.

wildgoose

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
Okay give some thought to redoing the fuel line and fuel filter arrangement, ideally you want all metal line from the fuel pump on,if not possible you want as much metal line all possible with very short sections of rubber as couplers. Look at factory GM fuel setups look at nhra rules. Rubber fuel lines burn cars down. A little visual for you,I saw with my own eyes when my car caught fire, just a tiny pin hole in the rubber and the fuel squirts just like good squirter gun, nice steady stream on the distributor.
Thanks for the heads up!!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

There are universal aftermarket pull type switches too, looking similar to a choke knob. Typically a two position switch, for headlights.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
It pulls directly out about an inch and a half. My thought was a choke too… but I haven’t seen one of those since I was a kid. This engine has a carburetor so perhaps it is a choke??? If so, will need to read up on when and how it’s used.
Not much science in use of a manual choke,pull the lever,step on the gas once start the truck if it doesn't start hit the pedal again and try again. Get the choke back off ASAP. You probably won't need it again the rest of the day. You'll learn the nuances of what your truck wants. Some people don't run a choke period,I'm one, I don't like the fuel wash on my cylinders. If the truck runs okay without choking it,don't choke it. The choken8s to aid cold starts and cold drivability

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
But at least you have the CVR under the steering column.
I missed this post, CVR= Computerized Vehicle Registration? No it is a Power Stop brand electric trailer brake controller. Good for 1-3 axle trailers. Centered under the steering column so I can hit the panic bar with either hand.

wildgoose

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
I missed this post, CVR= Computerized Vehicle Registration? No it is a Power Stop brand electric trailer brake controller. Good for 1-3 axle trailers. Centered under the steering column so I can hit the panic bar with either hand.
Nice!! Didn’t know that was a thing.

CVR is cockpit voice recorder… and it’s ALWAYS listening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david b