Vent Glass Setting Rubber

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My vent glass is the 2pc design.

This rubber seal that goes around the vent glass to wedge it into the frame......how thick or pliable is this stuff supposed to be? Every time I've ever used it on other applications, it was more like a cross between modeling clay and butyl tape. The set I got from LMC (literally) reminds me of an old Craftsman strap wrench I have. Its a stiff and very thick rubber, with zero contouring or even the most remote ability to adhere. There is no way this is going around the glass and then into the frame. I seriously doubt it would fit in the frame by itself. Everything is away for the night - tomorrow I'm going to mic it for the helluvit. I think I saw a video awhile back and the stuff someone else used looks like a thick tape - contoured and adhered.

What have you fellas used? No way I'm using what LMC sent.

ALSO.....what have you used as a sealer between the straight seal (with the metal tabs you bend down)? Some kits mention this, but the LMC stuff had zero paperwork or suggestions.

fwiw....I got the rubber seals in no problem - took about 45-60 min total for both. Lots of glass cleaner and a bone tool. Pulled the 2 sides up like putting on tight boots....one side of the channel snaps in....then the other I used a bone tool and worked it in no problem. Hardest area was about 1" across the inside corner.

Had an ample supply of brute strength and ignorance that came in handy too. :hat:

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Is the set you got made by Precision? I got them as well and a lot of people love them. Mine are pretty thick but you may want to put them in hot water to help make them go on easier. I paid someone to do mine.
As far as a sealant, look for something for rubber in black - like you didn't already know that - that doesn't get hard once it dries but stays rubbery. Maybe something like this: https://www.grainger.com/product/3D...vU1IgbDaWVnRPCZCZYRoCtHIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Perhaps the design is more aggressive than OE so if* you get it on you’ll maybe not have to do one ever again lol

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The main seals went in fairly smooth. It was 90 yesterday and I did it in the sun. The seals were very warm and pliable. Soak them good in either window cleaner or dry lube (teflon). One side will pop in, then with a bone tool you can press the other side in. Start from the short end as its easier to get the corner in place than starting from the top. Dont know why....but thats how it worked for me. fwiw, I did not remove the rivet on the top either.

This glass sealing tape thing - there is several thicknesses of it. What they sent me is off the charts too thick. I dont think it would fit in the frame with no glass. The original tape was about like a double layer of black vinyl tape. Going to mic the glass and the frame and then figure which thickness to get.

Found this - https://bobdrake.com/collections/glass-setting-tape

Plan B: https://b-dco.com/everseal-glass-seal-1-32/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20