Are rubber valve cover gaskets JUNK? Pic inside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stroker2

Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
FelPro # 1604 5/16" thick gaskets ( perimeter bolt heads ) . Also i would get a set of the wide valve cover support bars . Valve cover to intake runner interference is very common, normally there is enough material on intake to remove for clearance. Pre fit to check interference ,modify , then seal it and install . Long set screws for studs and nylock nuts keeps them tight . Good Luck

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Not going to read 3 pages to get here,I read a couple and jumped to the end. Chrome Valve covers when I was inclined to use them. I'd rough up the chrome on the inside lip where the gasket seats,with a right angle die grinder and a roloc disc. I'd use 3m super weatherstripping adhesive in a tube to glue the cork gasket to the valve covers. I'd use wheel bearing grease on the bottom of the gasket,bolt them down even,but not overtightened. Only way I know that they won't leak.One side benifit if doing them this way is you'll actually be able to remove the valve cover if you need to in the future and bolt it right back down,no leak,provided the gasket wasn't crushed or dried out. Everybody with a stock car used to do them this way when it was still an affordable hobby. For quick valvetrain checks if neccesary And 3m super weatherstrip adhesive,was the go to gasket sealer back before we had the selections we have now,and it still beats the crap out of any of the cheap silicone. Warning do not use it in both side of the valve cover gasket.

Last edited:

74Blaze

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5/Blazer
Engine Size
Using standard Cork Fel-Pro Gaskets with a thin layer of Vaseline on both sides, force spreaders and not over-torquing I've never had them leak. And they won't stick to either the Valve Cover or the Head. The Vaseline works well on paper Gaskets too. No scraping when you need to replace them.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Old Chevy heads had some pretty sorry uneven surfaces,for the cover gaskets to fit on good.I've had a few old heads that looked like the top edge was filed away into a low distorted way,right at the sealing edge of the head and gasket.Used rtv and a gasket to even get them to seal at all.Others,just seem to seal mostly good,with effort.

mydads84

Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
THIS^^^^^^^ exactly the way I do it....Weatherstrip adhesive on the valve cover and bearing grease on the head side.....makes it a LOT easier to get to the valves and still seals up!!! Cork gaskets

My Dad was an old gear head and motocross racer when he was young. He got me into vintage motocross back around 2004. We built a few engines and would put bearing grease on the paper gaskets to be able to take things like clutch covers on and off. Worked like a charm! Don't see why that wouldn't work on valve cover gaskets too!

59840Surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 Stroker to 383 with a 400 crank, Crane Cam, Q-Jet, single 3.5" exhaust..
I did something I told myself I was not going to do. Put Chrome valve covers on. I put a weiand stealth intake
on the truck and then said to hell with it and bought Chrome valve covers on it. I went to COMPETiTiON SALES
I bought all the rubbers and breather and gaskets. When I got home and opened the box, they were rubber. I
cannot get this crap to seal and stop leaking. Is the rubber junk? Do I need the thick cork type? I will say
engine looks ten times better and runs even better than before with this intake compared to stock.

You must be registered for see images attach
I have used a lot of Mr. Gasket versions and like them a lot.

Next up is FelPro cork composition as they are stable and firm enough to work for years. I have them on my '86 K5 stroker and they have needed very little retightening.

Rubber --- er ---> generally sux.

A few times I have used Copper or Red RTV though --- successfully.

/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad