Valve covers & engine covered in oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
My truck gets this to, but its cause its building crankcase pressure and blowing oil out the breather. Sure hope yours isnt this case.

aka blow by. Usually caused by tired rings. Compession leaking past the rings into the crankcase then it has to come out somewhere. Very bad valve guides can do that same.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Come to find out that the new rubber grommets I put on, somehow expanded and hardened with the heat of the engine. I went to pull out my pvc valve, and it slipped right out of the grommet with minimal effort. I put it back in and I could actually move it back an forth. After further inspection, I'm assuming they were made with cheap ass rubber. Autozone China? Taiwan?

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
aka blow by. Usually caused by tired rings. Compession leaking past the rings into the crankcase then it has to come out somewhere. Very bad valve guides can do that same.

Yup, cylinder 7 is at 60, which is basically just going along for the ride.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Come to find out that the new rubber grommets I put on, somehow expanded and hardened with the heat of the engine. I went to pull out my pvc valve, and it slipped right out of the grommet with minimal effort. I put it back in and I could actually move it back an forth. After further inspection, I'm assuming they were made with cheap ass rubber. Autozone China? Taiwan?

So are you thinking the grommets shrunk and allowing oil to be pushed out of the valve covers? If so, to cause this problem, must be some very significant shrinkage.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
When I pulled out the grommet, I put the pvc valve in to see how much it had expanded. There was 1/8" gap when I pressed the valve against one side of the grommet. Or maybe, just maybe, I was the dumb ass who put in the wrong size grommet on. But if I remember correctly, they were nice and flexible and snug when I put them in a few months back. When I tried to pull them out they were like hard plastic pvc grommets, the bottom ridge even cracked when I was pulling it out of the valve cover.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Here's some pics of the grommets. The one on the left is what I had on, the one one the right is the proper one. It sealed the hole completely & the pvc valve was tighter than a mouse's ear. You can see how much it expanded, not a lot, but enough to notice it.
You must be registered for see images attach

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
now its the way it should be.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
How's it doing now that you fixed up the grommets?

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Don't know yet, I put them in yesterday, but haven't had a chance to really take it out. I'm hoping the grommets fixed the oil leak. I also found out I had a power steering hose leak. I went to clean up the engine with a pressure washer, while I was spraying the front part of the engine(water pump, timing cover ect.) I found it. That would explain the oil film on the front of the engine. I assume the fan was blowing the oil all over. Normally I would look for oil leaks, by looking on my driveway floor, not in this case I guess.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
There is a kit to fix it. with high miles or rebuilt engines front crankshaft seals on the timing cover wear a groove into the crankshaft and when you install a new seal in your timing cover it still leaks because of this wear groove.

The kit comes with a press on sleeve that goes over the crankshaft and a matching seal.
Its pretty easy to install and any competent parts guy will know of it.

Oil comes out your front Crank shaft seal and your fan does the rest !

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
There is a kit to fix it. with high miles or rebuilt engines front crankshaft seals on the timing cover wear a groove into the crankshaft and when you install a new seal in your timing cover it still leaks because of this wear groove.

The kit comes with a press on sleeve that goes over the crankshaft and a matching seal.
Its pretty easy to install and any competent parts guy will know of it.

Oil comes out your front Crank shaft seal and your fan does the rest !

there is also the sleeve that goes over the harmonic balencer where it rides on the seal.

Putting a sleeve on the crank isnt gonna solve anything.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
there is also the sleeve that goes over the harmonic balencer where it rides on the seal.

Putting a sleeve on the crank isnt gonna solve anything.

WHOA !!! Cookie goes to Driver this time. I have a feeling that's what Ogre meant though. The groove does indeed get grooved into the balancer, not the crank. So the kit provides an oversize seal, and the bushing to slide over the balancer shaft and gives a new surface for the seal to ride on.

However, I have feeling this isn't the issue anyway. Worth checking though. Just check your front seal for any leaks.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
And it might not be the RIGHT WAY, but you can fit the balancer and sleeve into a standard seal.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
And it might not be the RIGHT WAY, but you can fit the balancer and sleeve into a standard seal.

Don't go pushin' it now. You got your cookie. Don't get it taken away. Yes, you COULD make it fit, but it's not optimal and the seal is going to rub on the bushing.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Sorry must of had a brain fart when I was typing. I got a good chuckle out of that myself. But the thanks for the correction.

Now about using the stock diameter seal on the oversize bushing/sleeve. Why would you do that ? if you get the oversize bushing it comes with the seal and besides that you would just be asking for your old problem back, that is if your seal survived.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising