Valve covers & engine covered in oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
My valve covers and front of engine are covered in oil, I have put in a new pvc valve and changed the breather cap, and still have the problem. I don't have any oil leaking on the ground at all when the truck is parked for long periods of time. Anybody have any suggestions?
You must be registered for see images attach

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I had nothing but problems when I tried one of those breather caps. Reconnected both valve covers to manifold vacuum and everything was peachy.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
I had nothing but problems when I tried one of those breather caps. Reconnected both valve covers to manifold vacuum and everything was peachy.

There's oil all over the valve cover where my pvc valve is also.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Did you install a new grommet in the cover when you replaced the pcv valve?

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Yup, new grommets, new pvc valve, new breather.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
At every oil change, I'm losing maybe 1/8 quart of oil, I know for a fact that its not burning oil(new engine) and I know its not leaking from the pan or anywhere else. I've been searching around on the web, and it could be its building pressure somewhere, from where I have no idea.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I would still start with getting vacuum lines on both covers. After the experience I had with open breathers I'll never use one again.

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Do the valve covers have baffles under the breather cap and PCV? I had that problem until I reinstalled the baffles to keep oil from splashing up into the breather caps.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Do the valve covers have baffles under the breather cap and PCV? I had that problem until I reinstalled the baffles to keep oil from splashing up into the breather caps.

Yeah, both sides have the baffles installed. I've been running into walls with this issue.:banghead:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I hate being the guy that gives the bad news, but how old is this motor? One of these days when you get home and have the motor getting warmed up, pull those breather caps and hold your rpm about 2200 rpm and see what kind of blow by you're getting. You might have a tired motor. I'd rule that out first and then if its not blow by start looking for the issue at hand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
I hate being the guy that gives the bad news, but how old is this motor? One of these days when you get home and have the motor getting warmed up, pull those breather caps and hold your rpm about 2200 rpm and see what kind of blow by you're getting. You might have a tired motor. I'd rule that out first and then if its not blow by start looking for the issue at hand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I had thought about that, I checked the blow-by a few weeks ago, none at 2000rpm's. The oil residue is all over the timing cover and water pump also. The engine has about 35,000 miles since rebuild in Feb. 2010

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I had thought about that, I checked the blow-by a few weeks ago, none at 2000rpm's. The oil residue is all over the timing cover and water pump also. The engine has about 35,000 miles since rebuild in Feb. 2010

You should not be having a blow by issue then. If you do, maybe it's a rings never seated properly issue. You might want to try and get the rings to reseat if that's the case. It will be even harder to do now too. If you do indeed find out it's blow by, and want to try and re seat the rings.... So you know the cam is well broke in by now so that's not an issue. What I'd do, is put in a 195 degree thermostat and run some SAE 30 NON DETEGERGENT motor oil. What you want to do is get the motor good an hot and get those rings to scrub the cylinders walls. Detergents are slick. In short, the 195 Tstat will get the heat up, and the cheapest but clean motor oil you can find will be best. No synthetic oil, nothing like Slick 50 or Dura Lube products, just plain old cheap ass SAE 30 NON Detergent oil. Did you by chance use Moly or Chromolly rings? Those type are harder to seat. Ductille Iron rings are even harder yet to get seated.

This is all provided it's an old school flat tappet cam motor and not an LS motor.

friscobob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 10
Engine Size
At every oil change, I'm losing maybe 1/8 quart of oil, I know for a fact that its not burning oil(new engine) and I know its not leaking from the pan or anywhere else. I've been searching around on the web, and it could be its building pressure somewhere, from where I have no idea.

I'd say an 1/8th of quart is normal, oil evaporates, gets by rings and valve stems, gets by crank seals, it's the nature of oil. You would shortly have a seized engine if the oil didn't lubricate these moving surfaces. I've never seen an engine that didn't get the oil film on it. I'd love it if my engine used "only" an 1/8th of qt.
Bob

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
My truck gets this to, but its cause its building crankcase pressure and blowing oil out the breather. Sure hope yours isnt this case.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
How often do you drive your truck? Is it your DD? If not, it could be a case of your seals and gaskets drying out and not performing the job they were intended to do. The motor in my SS is a complete and utter grease ball due to this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising