un molested wireing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gmule

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Fleetside long bed
Engine Size
After looking this 79 over I do believe that there is not one cut in the factory harness. Unbelievable

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Last month I went through my 78, It had an aftermarket a/c system installed in it, an aux fuel tank with an electric fuel selector valve, and a homemade hitch out back with a 5 pin plug wired in. I removed every bit of those add ons and was totally surprised that the one and only cut factory wire was the fuel gauge wire on the frame rail to tie in the other tank.

Gmule

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Fleetside long bed
Engine Size
Last month I went through my 78, It had an aftermarket a/c system installed in it, an aux fuel tank with an electric fuel selector valve, and a homemade hitch out back with a 5 pin plug wired in. I removed every bit of those add ons and was totally surprised that the one and only cut factory wire was the fuel gauge wire on the frame rail to tie in the other tank.

Not all previous owners were bad.

On my 78 everything has been hacked cut up and mutilated.

Konas new ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Not all previous owners were bad.

On my 78 everything has been hacked cut up and mutilated.

mine is a mess... so far a five gallon pail worth of wire out from under the dash..

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I haven't looked at mine, but I am guessing it is unmolested because it has nothing aftermarket added to it, and only 3 owners with me being the 3rd. The second wasn't mechanically inclined and hated the truck so he didn't touch it except to drive it to the dump. He didn't even trust the fuel gauge or the passenger side tank. He carried a 5 gallon gas can when he drove it. When I got the truck I filled it up, the gauge worked fine. And on the second fill-up I filled the passenger tank and ran it with no problems. Got lucky I guess. Of course I did replace the fuel filter in the carb and added an inline after the tank valve:). Oops, got a little off topic there :lazer:

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Aftermarket aux. gas tank is the only add-on to my truck also. Everyone thinks the slide-in camper plug that runs between the cab and bed is an add-on, but according to my dad it was factory.

Oh yeah, I also added headlight relays, but didn't cut or even tap into any factory wires. Just plug and play.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Aftermarket aux. gas tank is the only add-on to my truck also. Everyone thinks the slide-in camper plug that runs between the cab and bed is an add-on, but according to my dad it was factory.

Oh yeah, I also added headlight relays, but didn't cut or even tap into any factory wires. Just plug and play.

Where's the filler on your auxiliary tank? Manual or electric valve? Just curious is all.

My '79 Camper Special has the wiring between the cab and bed too, but it's never been used. It's still all folded up and wrapped with tape, I've never looked to see if it already had some type of plug or if it was just cut wires. If it's anything like the factory trailer wiring on Burbs, it's just cut wires with no plug.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Where's the filler on your auxiliary tank? Manual or electric valve? Just curious is all.

Driver side wheel well. No pictures of it. Factory set-up on passenger side. Dad had a new driver side bed side with a gas door put on after a fender bender, but didn't have the aux tank filler routed there for some reason. And I am pretty sure electric valve, but I would need to check to be sure. There is just a generic switch in what I believe is the stock location. That tank hasn't been used in years, and I have been considering pulling it and selling it. Really been thinking of doing a rear mount tank lately, as I don't run a spare anyway.

My '79 Camper Special has the wiring between the cab and bed too, but it's never been used. It's still all folded up and wrapped with tape, I've never looked to see if it already had some type of plug or if it was just cut wires. If it's anything like the factory trailer wiring on Burbs, it's just cut wires with no plug.

I have never bothered to trace the camper wires to see how they are run either. One of these days I am probably going to swap out the factory 4-pin trailer plug and install a new 7-pin plug, along with a brake controller, and maybe actually a hitch on this truck for the first time ever...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
squareframe