turn signal issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
ok wow i did not know that. i will try turning the lights on and see if that changes things

I don't think that will change anything. You are going to need to set aside a chunk of time and systematically check each item Chengny outlined earlier. You have a short between the right and left signal wires somewhere and you need to trace them from the turn signal switch to the front lamps including the leads up to the cluster.

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
I don't think that will change anything. You are going to need to set aside a chunk of time and systematically check each item Chengny outlined earlier. You have a short between the right and left signal wires somewhere and you need to trace them from the turn signal switch to the front lamps including the leads up to the cluster.

welp looks like shes gonna have to wait until the summer when I can get some free time to check stuff over.

T-ROD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Wow, I love getting into electrical and sorting and fixing, but I was going to say maybe Single Contact bulb in Double contact socket, because that is very common, (along with backwards bulbs that minor/major brightness is backwards) but further reading I would have to think about it because I have a feeling it's the turn signal switch but if not it could be in more than 7 spots, probably not ground if it stays on when lights are on. I had one end up being Trailor connector, shorting to other contacts, including parking lights, and it could be a pinched wire which could be anywhere but I'd start between switch, bulbs & sockets, and Trailor connector, if you've removed the bulbs it's between sockets, connector and switch more than likely unless you've got a pinched wire somewhere feeding into left/right just the same and backfeeding

T-ROD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Wow, I love getting into electrical and sorting and fixing, but I was going to say maybe Single Contact bulb in Double contact socket, because that is very common, (along with backwards bulbs that minor/major brightness is backwards) but further reading I would have to think about it because I have a feeling it's the turn signal switch but if not it could be in more than 7 spots, probably not ground if it stays on when lights are on. I had one end up being Trailor connector, shorting to other contacts, including parking lights, and it could be a pinched wire which could be anywhere but I'd start between switch, bulbs & sockets, and Trailor connector, if you've removed the bulbs it's between sockets, connector and switch more than likely unless you've got a pinched wire somewhere feeding into left/right just the same and backfeeding
BTW, be Know it's an old thread but any help to anyone in the future could be sparked up from a response, hope you've got that fixed since then, and hopefully the response helped at least a little, but there have been a lot of good eggs on this one, you got some good responses

Jppr26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 custom deluxe
Engine Size
350/5.7
Dude, I just fought a blonker issue myself, I replaced sockets, bulbs, relays, fuses, and traced wires like crazy. My issue was front right not working. My solve was a new switch in the steering column

ShortBus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
350tbi
So glad I joined this forum. I've got the blinker problems myself. Rears are fine.
I suck at electricity lol, but I'm gonna start at the switch and see what I can find out.
I say I suck at it cause chasing down gremlins on old used school buses really sucks. Bout to find out how 80's GM goes.

Dave 84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Ya everything brake and turn signal go to that turn signal switch so if your inputs are good basically brake switch then your turn signal switch is next this was a problem for me and probably many others

dpsthomas

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
For future troubleshooters, I had the exact problem as OP. I followed the directions on this thread as laid out by chengny, and found the my crossover issue was inside the cab. Further investigation led me to pull out my gauge cluster. The circuit was old and peeling up on the edge. One of the blinker “wires” was loose and touching another. I used electrical tape to hold it in place. This fixed the problem until I order a new circuit.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread!! It help me find the blinker gremlin that I’d been chasing for months!!

squarelyfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
k25
Engine Size
Tried a new switch didn't fix my issue, now I'm freaking

Last edited:

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Replying to this thread to bump it to the top of the list, so anybody out there with a turn signal problem can read this thread. I will be following the instructions in this thread to fix my turn signal issues.

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I had a socket with a bad ground. The socket itself was bad. I rebuilt the socket with a good ground wire and the problem was solved. I then replaced the repaired socket with a new one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128