Turbo 350 invertor lockup switch???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wayfastwhitey575

Reaction score
First Name
Cyrl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 vortec
I have a 1980 C10 with a turbo 350. There is a single wire coming from the drivers side of the transmission that plugs just above the brake booster and from there it goes to a vacuum devise of sorts (not sure what it is called). From what I can find from an online photo search is this locks up the invertor at cruising speeds. Should it be hooked it up to manifold or ported vacuum?

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
From the factory, it was supplied by a thermal vacuum switch that did not receive vacuum until the engine hit a certain temperature. On Goldie now it is hooked to manifold vacuum without the TVS. My transmission guy did not feel the converter lockup when the transmission was cold would be an issue. He did change a spring so that the converter will not lock until roughly 40MPH, however.

wayfastwhitey575

Reaction score
First Name
Cyrl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 vortec
Thank you, I believe everything is there including the thermal switch. I just have a hose with a broken plastic fitting in it that looks like it was a T from other vacuum lines. I will T it into the manifold vacuum and see what happens.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I don't know the answer,I do know how figure it out though. If your Hobbs switch, is normally open it would be on ported vacuum, no vacuum at Idle switch opens,converter unlocks. If it is normally closed it would need vacuum at Idle to unlock. So if would need manifold vacuum